Time to upgrade?

jimbo91

I don't think shooting a traditional bow an older compound or a new compound makes a difference in being able to take a deer down.  What you have to realize is if you are comfortable shooting the bow you are using.  I do think the older bows might take a little more fine tuning and the recurves alot more.  If you feel comfortable shooting your old compound shoot it specailly if you are comfortable with it.  It would suck to spend 800 dollars on a new bow and hate it.

some older bows are generally noisy and just plain not as fast as a newer bow. so when you have a hunter who is shooting at a deer and taking a shot at this animal and the bow jumps the string and either you clean missed or now have a wounded animal on your hand. for the most part an older bow will not perform like a these new bows, plain and simple... hunter aside, if it works then dont change it but there is a huge difference in a new bow versus an old bow.

do you think there is a difference in a 1970 Porsche vs a 2010 porche??? probably alot! lol... im just saying to each is own and use what works for you but if one is tossing the idea of replacement then thats got to say something might not be the same to make him want to step into something newer, buy a used bow there not that expensive...

2 years ago, I gave my old Jennings compound, one of the first compounds ever made to my sons friend.  So far, my son shot a buck the first time he ever shot at any deer with it, and the other guys got 2 deer with it the first 2 years he had it.  All they did was upgrade, arrows, mechanical release, etc.  How dead is dead.  Technology and goodies can't overcome practice.  Just my 2 cents.

sometimes even the the guy who shoots his butt off everyday can slip up in the deer woods. shooting at a 3d target is no where near the same as a deer about to bust you while your drawn on him. when that crappy hit takes place do to hunter error its sometimes nice to know the technology of the newer bows can wrok with you. speed / penetration....

Geno, I gotta disagree with you here. Bow technology really hasnt made any quantum leaps (besides carbon risers that work) in the last 5 or 6 years. My 13 or 14 year old PSE Thunderbolt used to put pass throughs on deer without a problem. In fact, the guy that bought it from me probably still uses it. Speed is more of a sales gimmick than it is truly useful for hunting whitetails.

Theres an old saying that holds true no matter the technology in archery. Its not the arrow, its the Indian.  :)

Now dont get me wrong, I loooooooooove new bows and new gadgets, but sometimes its best to not fix what isnt broken.

no i agree with what you say... when some relate to pass thoughs tho i would think with a 13 year old bow, what maybe 15 - 20 yard pass throughs? or the 30 & 40 yard pass though that are quite common on new bows?

i used to have a browning that i bought brandnew maybe in 99 or 2000. i would have traded my first bron in a heart beat for the mathews i have now. well maybe not my first born but you get it. i also had a old PSE which maybe atthe time was considered a fast bow or a dencent bow of its time but i will still say neither of those 2 bows could hold a candle to what is out on the market now.

its just what i believe...  just in this case more guys here seem to have that if it works dont replace it attitude and there is nothing wrong with it. i just think its sometimes beneficial to keep up with the times...

why do people update there homes then even if the bathroom or living room or whatever room is fine? i guess its not always a bad thing to keep up with the times and change it up. even if you own 1 bow for 20 years, im sure in most cases there will come a time when that hunter will want a new bow and he might love the choice. lol

no i agree with what you say... when some relate to pass thoughs tho i would think with a 13 year old bow, what maybe 15 - 20 yard pass throughs? or the 30 & 40 yard pass though that are quite common on new bows?

i used to have a browning that i bought brandnew maybe in 99 or 2000. i would have traded my first bron in a heart beat for the mathews i have now. well maybe not my first born but you get it. i also had a old PSE which maybe atthe time was considered a fast bow or a dencent bow of its time but i will still say neither of those 2 bows could hold a candle to what is out on the market now.

its just what i believe...  just in this case more guys here seem to have that if it works dont replace it attitude and there is nothing wrong with it. i just think its sometimes beneficial to keep up with the times...

why do people update there homes then even if the bathroom or living room or whatever room is fine? i guess its not always a bad thing to keep up with the times and change it up. even if you own 1 bow for 20 years, im sure in most cases there will come a time when that hunter will want a new bow and he might love the choice. lol

I had a 30 yard pass through with that bow, my second deer with it. Updating a house is completely different than buying a new bow. You are talking investment vs expenditure, not even close lol.

I had a 30 yard pass through with that bow, my second deer with it. Updating a house is completely different than buying a new bow. You are talking investment vs expenditure, not even close lol.

Don't let my wife know that hunting gear is an expenditure rather than an investment ! alt=oh Nohttp://www.downsouthhuntingforums.com/images/smiles/help.gif[/img]