Do you sharpen your broadheads

Five Seasons

On 9/23/2022 at 6:15 PM, YFKI1983 said:

I switched to single bevels last year and was looking for something to sharpen with but they are curved. Not sure what I can use. If anyone has any input, I'd appreciate it. 20211031_080340.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

On KME's website I saw that they had a jig for curved heads. I've read that the staysharp is a good system but not as nice. I also heard on archerytalk that the guy who owns it is a poacher, but do your own research please haha.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

You don't get a whistle with those heads? I did and switched to a solid one because of it.

I havent noticed a whistle. I also dont have the ears I once I had either lol. Ill try to listen for it this week. If i do ill just switch to the 200 gr that has solid blades and the better ferule 

4 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

I havent noticed a whistle. I also dont have the ears I once I had either lol. Ill try to listen for it this week. If i do ill just switch to the 200 gr that has solid blades and the better ferule 

My arrows aren't even that fast because of the weight,I think just under 250 fps but I could tell the difference and my hearing is not the best as my wife will confirm. And it isn't just selective either,haha. I did not shoot them.for long though,so not much anecdotal evidence.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

My arrows aren't even that fast because of the weight,I think just under 250 fps but I could tell the difference and my hearing is not the best as my wife will confirm. And it isn't just selective either,haha. I did not shoot them.for long though,so not much anecdotal evidence.

I will shoot them again tonight. I ordered some for my wifes bow that were delivered Saturday. So hopefully they are quiet. Changed my wifes arrow setup a little, cut her 500 spine shafts 2.5in shorter, machines 65gr brass inserts for them and shooting a 125 head, shes at 22% FOC with this setup and at 390gr TAW. She had one bow harvest before this and it was a BB, and her arrow barely penetrated out the off side.. 

13 hours ago, onlybrowning said:

Same. Got 200’s and 150’s. Hope to get some real experience with them this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep me posted! im curious as well. The grizzlyStik testimonials looks promising! Im keeping my sights settled right tight to the shoulder now. Ive put rage hypodermics through the scapula of some average size doe.. but Mature whitetail will take that hit and run. Hope these heads will get me through, if not, ill build it heavier! lol   

That's the reason i went with the samurai style.. straight blade for easier sharpening, otherwise i wanted to buy these heads. 
Youll have to do some serious handworking and get good with a stone by hand to keep and hold those edges.  Or youll need a stone that has the same angle you can run along that edge. 
I might have to try a cylindrical hone for now and see if that works. I really like the heads so I don't want to switch if possible

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, YFKI1983 said:

I might have to try a cylindrical hone for now and see if that works. I really like the heads so I don't want to switch if possible

Yep! we've got all sorts of diamond grad files and stones in all sorts of sizes and shapes. a round one should work great with a good hand. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Keep me posted! im curious as well. The grizzlyStik testimonials looks promising! Im keeping my sights settled right tight to the shoulder now. Ive put rage hypodermics through the scapula of some average size doe.. but Mature whitetail will take that hit and run. Hope these heads will get me through, if not, ill build it heavier! lol   

I'm going to just keep with my rage and fmj setup this year. But I think my next year project will be a heavier, high foc setup. I like the iron will single bevels. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Belo said:

I'm going to just keep with my rage and fmj setup this year. But I think my next year project will be a heavier, high foc setup. I like the iron will single bevels. 

Lots of good options out there. al depends on your budget i suppose. People may crap on it, but if you keep your distances shorter to a more controllable shot anyways.. You dont lose anything.. you only gain as you wont have to worry about that first shoulder if your setup correctly. 

31 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Lots of good options out there. al depends on your budget i suppose. People may crap on it, but if you keep your distances shorter to a more controllable shot anyways.. You dont lose anything.. you only gain as you wont have to worry about that first shoulder if your setup correctly. 

yeah it's too late for this year anyhow. I've never shot over 30 and my second pin is at 35. That's the longest I'd shoot. I do like the idea of blowing through a shoulder on a slightly quartering towards shot though. I'll take that over distance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Belo said:

yeah it's too late for this year anyhow. I've never shot over 30 and my second pin is at 35. That's the longest I'd shoot. I do like the idea of blowing through a shoulder on a slightly quartering towards shot though. I'll take that over distance.

Myself I will never again take a quartering towards shot , I get your post ,perhaps a bit quartering if it’s under 20 or so which is about my max distance on a deer .

I’ve had a couple of one lungers and it just sucks , no real need as I always wIll get a cake shot much closer. 

• Like 4

One thing I noticed after I got my new bow set up was how great I'm getting passthroughs. I'm only 5lbs heavier from 65 to 70 and it's not the fastest bow in the world. But my bowtech revolt x with these victory v3 game getters really seem to slide through nicely. I wonder how much the micro diameter arrow effects it. Any thoughts fellas?

16 hours ago, Belo said:

Yep a slight quartering to shot maybe. Or "If" something happens and your shot misses your mark for whatever reason BC we all know it happens at some point. You worry less with a setup like that.. 

Edited by LET EM GROW

15 hours ago, Nomad said:

Myself I will never again take a quartering towards shot , I get your post ,perhaps a bit quartering if it’s under 20 or so which is about my max distance on a deer .

I’ve had a couple of one lungers and it just sucks , no real need as I always wIll get a cake shot much closer. 

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

Yep a slight quartering to shot maybe. Or "If" something happens and your shot misses your mark for whatever reason BC we all know it happens at some point. You worry less with a setup like that.. 

Yes I should clarify, I've been watching a lot of hunting public and even some ranch fairy videos on the higher FOC arrow setups. Generally we're talking a 300 spine arrow with like 225grains up front. I've also listened to doctor ed ashby and the iron will guys on meateater podcast. They all preach that hunters should always be taking ethical shots. But yes sometimes things don't go as planned. I imagine we've all clipped the scapula or worse, or some of us have not been able to resist that slightly quartering towards shot on a big buck, despite what we tell ourselves going in.

Finally, I shoot a lightweight setup with rage 2 blades and I've had plenty of passthroughs, but I've had a few that have not. I really want a passthrough if I can, and I'll give up some speed on my 60lb 31" draw setup to do that if I can.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Belo said:

Yes I should clarify, I've been watching a lot of hunting public and even some ranch fairy videos on the higher FOC arrow setups. Generally we're talking a 300 spine arrow with like 225grains up front. I've also listened to doctor ed ashby and the iron will guys on meateater podcast. They all preach that hunters should always be taking ethical shots. But yes sometimes things don't go as planned. I imagine we've all clipped the scapula or worse, or some of us have not been able to resist that slightly quartering towards shot on a big buck, despite what we tell ourselves going in.

Finally, I shoot a lightweight setup with rage 2 blades and I've had plenty of passthroughs, but I've had a few that have not. I really want a passthrough if I can, and I'll give up some speed on my 60lb 31" draw setup to do that if I can.

Exactly, I used to shoot 385gr TAW.. with a rage hypodermic for years. Never had a problem with pass throughs. 28" 70#. about 285fps.  In my earlier years i lost some to should hits as mentioned, even at real close range. But When i finally got my chance at my #1 Target buck in 2019 and I missed the shot and cut hairs on his back.. The whole time(quick second) my arrow traveled to him, I thought hes going to take that arrow like a Goalie in Hockey and walk away from this, OR penetration is going to be terrible on a 250#+ 8yr old buck.. Just like you see in the videos and the deer runs with it flapping out the entrance side still.. These are the bucks I target so i need to make sure my equipment is on par too..

I've put hypodermic through average doe scapula's with no problem and still got a pass through.. But a Mature buck(My Target) is built differently.. There's no Doubt..  

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

Exactly, I used to shoot 385gr TAW.. with a rage hypodermic for years. Never had a problem with pass throughs. 28" 70#. about 285fps.  In my earlier years i lost some to should hits as mentioned, even at real close range. But When i finally got my chance at my #1 Target buck in 2019 and I missed the shot and cut hairs on his back.. The whole time(quick second) my arrow traveled to him, I thought hes going to take that arrow like a Goalie in Hockey and walk away from this, OR penetration is going to be terrible on a 250#+ 8yr old buck.. Just like you see in the videos and the deer runs with it flapping out the entrance side still.. These are the bucks I target so i need to make sure my equipment is on par too..

I've put hypodermic through average doe scapula's with no problem and still got a pass through.. But a Mature buck(My Target) is built differently.. There's no Doubt..  

for me, it's like you said that even the perfect shot doesn't pass through always on the big boys. A dead center rib bone shot or even rib bone deflection can be the difference in high fives and beer and tears. I do see the tradeoff on smaller blood trails and potential arrow flight issues, but again at 20 and under it shouldn't be a problem. I'm looking forward to testing and wish I would have started this journey in June for this season. Just hoping it doesn't bite me this year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Belo said:

for me, it's like you said that even the perfect shot doesn't pass through always on the big boys. A dead center rib bone shot or even rib bone deflection can be the difference in high fives and beer and tears. I do see the tradeoff on smaller blood trails and potential arrow flight issues, but again at 20 and under it shouldn't be a problem. I'm looking forward to testing and wish I would have started this journey in June for this season. Just hoping it doesn't bite me this year. 

After having to leave  afew bucks to slowly succumb.. If i dont see them fall from the stand. its an automatic hour before checking the arrow, if the hit was bad, then its an immediate 6hr wait minimum. Im not worried for smaller holes and blood trails. That all depends on your shot placement and angle, not the broadhead its self.   

• Like 2

so my staysharp kit came in yesterday. I must admit I'm a little underwhelmed, but it could be user error. The testimonials are that you should be able to literally split hairs and easily cut paper, but after an hour messing with one I couldn't see any noticeable difference over factory sharpness. I know rage is cheap metal and that might be part of it, but I was hoping for more noticeable results. 

18 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

That all depends on your shot placement and angle, not the broadhead its self.   

I disagree to some extent. a rage will cut a 2.3" wound channel, and if sharp enough and the shot true, you're undoubtedly cutting that many more arteries/veins and also potentially clipping a lung or the heart where a smaller fixed blade may not. Of course if the fixed blade can blow through the scapula or doesn't deflect then that's better than the mechanical that bounces off. At the end of the day a good shot is a good shot regardless. I think the tiebreaker though is that a good shot on a rage may still not be a passthrough and a good single bevel will, so you're less likely to get a plug or deflection. if that makes sense. 

for what it's worth, i've shot nothing but rage heads for 15 years. I've only lost one deer and that was a doe 2 years ago. She's still alive and my shot was just real low and a high angle (brisket). It wasn't the rages fault, it was mine. So I really have no reason to switch from what has put a lot of meat in the freezer other than I'm buying the hype on the fixed heads. 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 2