A good first rifle?

jimbo91

Gotta agree with BigGame on this. If I could only have one rifle it would be a bolt action .30-06. can shoot light bullets and varmit hunt....great for Whitetail with all the range you would ever need in the North Eastern woods. Can even use heavier bullets and take elk or moose. Any sporting goods store you walk into in the US will have the ammo...maybe not you exact ones but they will have them. For plinking, militaly surplus is readily available. oh ...and the reduced recoil stuff, from what I hear is great for this round....my 2 cents

I hunt where the shots arent going to be over 50 yards in most spots and opted to buy a Marlin 30-30. In part because I'ma  lefty and I couldnt find any lefty bolts. However, I was torn between that and a 270. But the suggestions on here are good. Only thing I would say is I've seen a 30-06 do a little more damage than I would like on a deer so take that into consideration as well when shoosing a rifle. But as stated 30-06 is a great all arouind rifle. You can hunt pretty much all big game in the US with is.

I agree 30-06 is a great round i have had one for years and have infact killed whitetail, moose, woodchucks and soon to be bear with it. It dropped the moose within 40 yards where she was standing and traveled 5-6 feet through her body. As far as causing more than desired damage to deer size game i believe that is in the shooter/ bullet combo. I shot 4 deer with mine last year under 70 yards and one at 5 and never got a pass through or major damage to the meat using winchester ammo. But i have seen a 7-08 in the past with remington Core-lokt absolutely destroy a deer, we have since changed the ammo como and had less wasted meat. I believe a 7mm-08 is a very adequate round for game bigger than whitetail also such as black bear and elk and with less recoil and ammunition is becoming very popular.

I have to agree with most of the posts here.

The '06 is the all around best gun. I hunt with one & it will handle an game in North America no problem. It has the bets choices of ammo fom 100 grain varmit to 220 grain brush busters & it's usually on sale for around $15/box for Remington Core-Lokt. Shot capability out to 300+ yards if needed. Regular & reduced recoil ammo available.

I bought my son a Remigton Model 7 youth 7mm-08. It is a very nice gun but here are the draw backs I have found.

Very limted bullet sizes available (140 & 165 grain)

Not all stores carry the ammo

Ammo is expensive $30/box for Winchester, real tough time finding Remington

Ballisitcally the drop off over 150 yds is terrible. (Where we hunt there are very few if any shots that long so it's not a factor for my son).

Just my $.02

Not quite sure what u mean that the 7-08 drop is ballisitcally terrible the 7mm bullet has the best aerodynamics and muzzle energy retention of any bullet. The 7-08 shoot flatter than an 06 and carries more energy past 250 yards. Dont get me wrong i own an 06 and my father owns a 7-08 and love my 06 but ballistically the 7-08 is a better round.

I have to agree with most of the posts here.

The '06 is the all around best gun. I hunt with one & it will handle an game in North America no problem. It has the bets choices of ammo fom 100 grain varmit to 220 grain brush busters & it's usually on sale for around $15/box for Remington Core-Lokt. Shot capability out to 300+ yards if needed. Regular & reduced recoil ammo available.

I bought my son a Remigton Model 7 youth 7mm-08. It is a very nice gun but here are the draw backs I have found.

Very limted bullet sizes available (140 & 165 grain)

Not all stores carry the ammo

Ammo is expensive $30/box for Winchester, real tough time finding Remington

Ballisitcally the drop off over 150 yds is terrible. (Where we hunt there are very few if any shots that long so it's not a factor for my son).

Just my $.02

I honestly think the majority of hunters couldn't hit anything passed 200 yards never mind 300, so the drop off you talk about for the 7mm-08 is really insignificant.  For shooting deer within 250 yards like most people should be doing anyway, the 7mm-08 has more than enough punch.  For the few who can handle 300 yard or more distances, the 30-06 probably wouldn't be the best choice out there either.  7mm, .300 mags would probably be a better choice for that kind of shooting.

When we are talking most of the rounds listed above it really boils down to two old standard casings that have been modified over the years. The ought 6 and .308 have given us some of the best shooting cartriges around for the type of hunting we do. You really can't go wrong with any of them and like Steve said...inside 200 yards it really doesn't matter what you pick.....a well placed shot and the deer is goiing down.

"I honestly think the majority of hunters couldn't hit anything passed 200 yards never mind 300, so the drop off you talk about for the 7mm-08 is really insignificant.  For shooting deer within 250 yards like most people should be doing anyway, the 7mm-08 has more than enough punch.  For the few who can handle 300 yard or more distances, the 30-06 probably wouldn't be the best choice out there either.  7mm, .300 mags would probably be a better choice for that kind of shooting."

I absolutely agree that 99.9% of hunters couldn't & shouldn't be considering a shot over 200 yards, myself included because I may shot 2 or 3 practice rounds at that distance a year. My point is that up to 200 yards,the 30-06 is a much flatter shooting round than the 7mm-08.  Granted it's not as flat as the 7mm mag or .300mag but it also doesn't carry the recoil of those rounds. I was very disapointed in the drop of of the 7mm-08 between 100 & 200 yards. 

TR19, if you take a look at a ballistics table you will see that the 7mm-08 with a 140 grain BTSP has a trajectory identical to a .30-06 150 grain BTSP. 

Both sighted 2" high at 100 yards will be on at 200 and 8" low at 300.  Energy wise they are equal also.  I don't know what drop off you are talking about.

My first rifle was a lever action Marlin 30-30. Was a great rifle and always did the job.

When I got older I used to borrow my Dad's Remington 30-06 (pump action) or my brothers .308 (bolt action) with a gorgeous scope (I forget the brand).

Great hunting rifles for the available game.

VJP,

You're correct. My son & I were looking at the winchester calculatot the other day & I don't know what we were looking at but it showed a drop off as follows -

0" at 100 yds, -2"+/- at 150 yards & -4.5" =/- at 200.

I was disgusted besides that fact that I know my son won't have a shot over 100-125 yards anywhere that we hunt. L

Hey guys i have a shotgun but ive been thinking about buying my first rifle. I only plan on white tail hunting with it. Any suggestions?

Some topics/ideas to consider before looking around..

What is your budget? Does that include a scope/case/ammo/sling?

A new gun is obvious, but have you considered used?

What type/style gun do you like? Bolt/lever/single shot/ semi auto?

Metalwork blued high gloss, or matte? stainless? parkerized, or even coated with one of the new polymer coatings?

Stocks, wood, laminated wood, synthetic/black? synthetic painted?

Now my $0.02..

Hunting whitetails, I'd opt out of high gloss metalwork. Less reflection/glare & scratches wouldn't be as obvious..

Stocks, anything but a standard, nice piece of wood.. Not that I don't love seeing wavy wood grains, but laminated stocks & synthetics are way tougher.. Worrying about getting a scratch on your 'pretty' gun shouldn't be a distraction while hunting..

Caliber, as stated, the 270-308-30.06 are the forerunners, will take almost everything..

Odd calibers are cool in my book, but finding a box of ammo at Uncle Hucks in Middle-of-nowhere will be impossible..

Action to me would depend on type of deer hunts you do.. Stand hunts or areas with open spaces would be perfect for a bolt action, but busting brush and stalking I prefer a quick swinging lever.. The most important feature I can convey to you, is a gun you can shoulder & get on sight as quickly and naturally as possible..

Having game bound away while searching for it thru the scope is very frustrating to say the least..

Makes a great story, but having the deer in the freezer is way more satisfying..

Good luck, check out Gunbroker.com to see what's available, price ranges.. Also, if you go this route, shop around different gun shops for the FFL Transfer fees.. Some charge exorbitant fees because they don't want to be bothered..

I have a lever mod 94 in 30-30. Love it. But if you want the longer action rounds I think you just narrowed your available model pook way down. Is there a lever gun out there that will shoot an 06 that isn't a BLR

Yes, there is at least this one I know of.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=015C&mid=534070

My uncle actually bought an in the box never fired used one in the high grade version.  He has never fired it either.  Teddy Roosevelt used a similar one in Africa.  The problem I see with this one is that mounting a scope on it isn't exactly easy to do, since I don't think one gets the full benefits of a 30-06 without a scope.  One would need to do some fancy gunsmithing to it which would probably bring down it's value.