Venison in NY restaurant

the blur

There is ways around it, i think phade was right.on farm raised. You can actually sell panfish like perch, crappie, etc, and they are wholesaled to restaurants.Might be a similar sort of deal.

Its always hard for me to pay for a venison steak or a perch/walleye fry in a restaurant, when i have a freezer full of that at home. Not to mention if i do order it, i usually find my wife cooks it better

There are many types of venison other than whitetail.

I have never eaten it, but have heard that fallow deer provide the very best venison.

I talked to a fellow that had experience with raising fallow deer for meat, and he told me that they took great pains to make sure that the deer were unalarmed and relaxed when they stunned/killed them. If they were upset the adrenaline would negatively affect the flavor of the meat.

Many years ago doing a drive on a farm up north one of the guys shot a sika deer. It had escaped and was on this farm. At the time there were also a bunch of fallow out and according to DEC they wanted them shot as to not introduce disease and such. I will tell you what that was some fine tasting venison my oh my.

I took my wife out to eat, and there is venison on the menu.   How can this happen in a NY restaurant?    I know it's illegal.    I typically see this up in Vermont, after the season, where it is legal.   But now in NY ????

Wild deer meat is illegal to sell, these are farm raised deer they have on the menu.  

Whats wrong with wild game on a menu?  Seems like you mad that it was even offered?

I have eaten at some very high end restaurants around the country and some of my favorite and most memorable meals have been some wild game:  Venison, Elk, Bison, Ostrich, Alligator, Rattle Snake, Etc.

Given the bizzilion deer shot in NYS, why not have it go to use?

my understanding is the same as the others.  it's illegal to buy or sell wild game meat of any kind, and not just in NY.  it's all farm raised venison.  When I lived out in Buffalo I remember Wegman's even had a very small meat section for farm raised game meat.  they had buffalo and other stuff.  venison was like $28/lb!  probably city folk who are rich and don't hunt would buy it I guess.  My primary care physician eats it at some restaurant she goes to and loves it.  I think she pays like $80 per plate.

Cause it's ILLEGAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deer meat is called venison!!! There is no insinuation that it is wild just because it said venison!

Like I said, plenty of restaurants sell venison and other wild game because they can get a pretty penny for serving something exotic to most.

Yep, farm raised. Guaranteed, special or not.  Our cousin serves it this time of year. 

Carl Ehmer (sp?) used to have herds of Fallow and Sika (I think) at his place out by the Taconic Parkway.  Dang near drove into the ditch the first time I saw them.  He raised them for his restaurants and meat business.

Whats wrong with wild game on a menu?  Seems like you mad that it was even offered?

I have eaten at some very high end restaurants around the country and some of my favorite and most memorable meals have been some wild game:  Venison, Elk, Bison, Ostrich, Alligator, Rattle Snake, Etc.

Given the bizzilion deer shot in NYS, why not have it go to use?

I'm willing to bet they were farm raised, every last one. All of the above species are raised on farms throughout the USA-- yes even the gator, ostrich, snake, and elk!

I have a friend out west that is looking to get into raising elk on her farm.

21 club in the theatre district has a nice "mixed grill of game" which includes a boar sausage, an elk shank and a venison tenderloin...very good think its like $65.

That's why I put a premium value on the deer I harvest, process, give away and consume myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager