Broke my rifle

JimR

Well it took close to 30 years of hunting, but I finally managed to break a gun. While crossing over a fallen tree (should have gone around) I placed a foot between two limbs. I actually thought to myself at this point " this is a good way to break a leg". While lifting my other leg over the limb I lost my balance and fell. After checking myself over to find no injuries,I found the muzzle of my Marlin 336 plugged with mud and snow. I unloaded the gun, and after triple checking to be sure the gun was unloaded, cleared the blockage. A further inspection revealed that the butt stock now could wobble from side to side where it met the reciever. I pulled the stock off today and found that a small wooden ear at the forward end of the stock had cracked off. I don't believa a glue job would hold up, so I'll be ordering a replacement after Christmas. All in all I count myself lucky to only have a bruised hip, and ego, and a repair bill under a hundred bucks.

Sorry to hear about your stock.  I dropped my bow out of the tree last year, DOH!

All rifle/ML barrels should be covered with electrical tape to avoid those blockages.

Isn't it supposed to be blue tape? ;)

Edited by covert

• 2 weeks later...