Replacement Ramrod Question

UpstateNomad90

During early muzzleloading I had a little accident with my ramrod and it got a little bent, Someone mentioned to me that a cheap alternative will be to get a wooden dowel from a local hardware store. Anyone have any insight on this? Obviously I will have to find the diameter of a dowel that will be equal if not a hair smaller to my 50 cal. 

I would think a pointed bullet would push through the wood without adding a metal insert. Don't know how you could add a metal insert without taking strength away from the dowel. The other problem is storing the dowel when not in use.

That is what I have been finding, Have you ever used a fiberglass ramrod? The internet description keeps saying "unbreakable" but the last thing I want to do is have another accident and this time have to deal with fiberglass in my hand. 

My fiberglass ramrod on my Winchester is really tough. I give it alot of punishment and it is a survivor. My sons Thomson however, wasn't the quality of mine and bent very quickly.  He called the company and they sent him a replacement that was far better quality, but they wouldn't admit to a problem with them. Think they socked him $40 for it, but now it has lasted. Might be worth a call to your guns manufacture to see what they advise.

Years ago I broke the hickory ramrod that came with my TC Hawken.

I replaced it with a fiberglass one and it has lasted for many seasons with no problems.

Sorry, I can't remember where I bought it, but I would think an internet search would turn up something for you.

Most wooden dowels are made of hardwood,not soft wood as pine and spruce.In todays world a 1/2" wooden dowel is most likley smaller than .500 anyway. if it is not it could be filed or sanded to fit the bore a little loose.And the end could be drilled to fit your original metal tip.It is used to compact the powder and push the ball/patch, lead bullet or the plastic sleeve and jacked bullet against the powder.You should not have to use that much force to bend the rod.

Fiberglass will scratch your bore. Buy a brass rod cut to length and drill and tap it 10-32 for attachments. Or buy one made up for your rifle from the links below.  It'll never break and won't mess up your bore like Fiberglass and synthetic rods do.

http://www.rmcoxyoke.com/inc/sdetail/150

http://www.octobercountry.com/products/OC-Brass-Ram-Rod-With-T-Handle-.html

My 50 cal NEF Huntsman has a collapsable ram rod . When taken off the ML it has to be turned counter clockwise , extended and continue to turn counter clockwise until locked in place . It is time consuming . I cut a wooden dowel about 7+ inches and put a piece of nylon filiment tape on each end . 

I place the charge in the barrel , start it with the ramrod , drop the dowel in the barrel and seat the bullet . Always remember to remove the dowel ! It can be done much faster that way for a reload . I hav't shot a dowel yet . Knock on wood !