Last day of my first season and buck jumps string

LiveFree1776

Been out around 15 times this year long island bow hunting. I shot a buck my second time out but was unable to find it after an extensive 2 day search.

A few outings after that I had another buck wander head on into my shooting lane only to catch my sent before he offered me a broadside or quartering away shot. ,

Now this morning I had a buck walk right in front of my blind and offer a perfect quartering away shot at 15 yards and I aimed too high and he jumped the string so my arrow flew right over him. I'm pissed I screwed that up and more it's looking like my first season out I'll have been skunked.

I guess the one positive thing I can look at its that at least I missed clean rather than a hit outside the vitals.

I'm hoping that this evening offers me one last shot so I can at least fill one tag.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yea no kidding.My whole season only had that # of bucks within range and I hunted at least 60 times from Sept 27th-last day of muzzleloader in the south.Keep at them don't get discouraged.Shoot your bow a few times to get your confidence back before you head out tonight.It makes a world of difference with me.The more confident you feel the more odds in your favor of putting the perfect shot on him.

Congrats on all the action,&  being out there so often as well as getting a few into bow range, 

As I tell my impatient 15 year old son, it's called hunting not killing and any time spent in the woods is better than none.

I totally agree with you regarding a clean miss too. Keep working hard and practicing and lots of good luck.

Aim for the bottom 1/3rd of the vitals, like you are going straight to the heart. If the deer "jumps the string" (they are actually squatting down to pre-load the muscles in their legs), they will drop right into the arrow, and you should still double lung the deer. If it doesnt, you get a perfect heart shot.

• Like 5

Aim for the bottom 1/3rd of the vitals, like you are going straight to the heart. If the deer "jumps the string" (they are actually squatting down to pre-load the muscles in their legs), they will drop right into the arrow, and you should still double lung the deer. If it doesnt, you get a perfect heart shot.

This is exactly what I do. Works great!

• Like 1

Sometimes you just can't beat the situation. I have seen more than a couple videos of deer that dodged arrows and they have a whole variety of things that they do. But mostly they are dropping down and twisting at the same time to turn around. Now anyone who claims they can beat that maneuver must be awful good ..... lol. Most of those that claim that they have, haven't given enough credit to just plain old good luck. The one thing about bow hunting is that there are no absolutes until the deer is dead on the ground at your feet. That's why they call it hunting and not slaughtering.

The only thing that I have found that gives me half a chance is to shoot at deer that are kind of relaxed. While that is no guarantee that they will not "jump-the-string", It gives you a fighting chance. I will not shoot at a deer that has got me pegged. I will not give a grunt or other noises to stop a deer. Yes I have seen them successfully do that on TV, but there is nothing I will do purposely to put the deer "on-set". And finally, I will not beat myself up if the deer does go through their acrobatics, trying to turn themselves inside out when I shoot. Bow hunting is not an exact science. We can take a lot of bad things out of the equation, but in the end, there is a lot of luck involved. 

• Like 1

He didn't come back during my afternoon sit nor did I see any other deer.  So my first hunting season was a lot of fun as well as very frustrating at  times but I certainly learned a ton and have some experience under my belt now.  At nearly 30, I'm glad I picked up this sport and will most certainly be involved until I am too old to go out.  If I ever have kids I look forward to teaching them all that I learn along the way as I did not have a mentor and can see how much fun going out with your dad or uncle would be.  Even though I came up empty handed this year I am definitely not discouraged, I'm actually more determined than ever to get out and get one next season.

• Like 5

The walk of shame happens to everyone at some point. Actually, most times, the walk of shame causes me to refocus and correct any sloppiness in my tactics or shooting or any other aspect of hunting.

There's a reason for the saying "you learn more in your losses than you do in your victories."

Then, as Doc noted, there are times where you just have to shake your head. I missed a buck once one who ducked so feverishly and aggressively, there were main beam and tine imprints in the snow. I can still see the slow motion duck in my head if I close my eyes. Not a thing you can do in those situations.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

Great post.  So true Phade!  One thing I can say for sure is my mistakes made me learn the hard way.  Shoot often and become as good as you possibly can with your weapon.  That is one mistake I hope I never experience again is a bad shot!  Glade you enjoyed yourself LiveFree1776!  And welcome to the brotherhood!

lot that goes into whether or not to aim even lower or when to shoot.  I use and tell others what WNYBuckHunter said all the time though.  Probably the best advice to give without getting into things too detailed and making things unclear.