Governor Announces Support for Crossbows in NY

Tinlodge

If you want to see public support vanish for hunting, having people hunting so close that people begin to feel their privacy being violated is a great way to do it. What kind of person would even want to be hunting that close to somebody's house. Lol .... maybe perverts and voyeurs .... ha-ha.

I believe that ppl will go to their town board meetings and insist on their own discharge rules...then hunters just end up loosing even more hunting properties.......There will be a lot more conflicts and much of it just may end up hunter against hunter...for traditional / compound hunters that aren't keen on x-bows will not embrace them especially with 150ft rule coming in on the heels of inclusion...

Why is it that this state can not do something with out adding some type of element to screw things up?...Have they been asleep? Is it that they are totally clueless to non hunter/ hunter problems...non x-bow and x-bow advocate conflicts....landowner / hunter problems?

Is having enough problems arise that the legislature will come to pass? Some arbitrary laws and regulations to limit archery equipment down the road one having to register archery purchases?...clearing a wider path for Government control deer herds?...poo hoo this notion...then don't be surprised ten years from now...

Edited by growalot

If you want to see public support vanish for hunting, having people hunting so close that people begin to feel their privacy being violated is a great way to do it. What kind of person would even want to be hunting that close to somebody's house. Lol .... maybe perverts and voyeurs .... ha-ha.

if you saw where a few of my archery stands were (while not 50 yards), you'd agree that there were no safety issues. while 150' is a little too far, i'd like to see it go down to 250 at least. I have a stand that's 300' and i have permission but there's a very thick area of woods between us and there would be no safety issue with archery.

if you saw where a few of my archery stands were (while not 50 yards), you'd agree that there were no safety issues. while 150' is a little too far, i'd like to see it go down to 250 at least. I have a stand that's 300' and i have permission but there's a very thick area of woods between us and there would be no safety issue with archery.

You're probably correct in your case and you seem like if it weren't a safe situation even if it were legal, you'd be intelligent enough to not do it.  The problem is, if the law says 50 yards, there will be mental rejects that will be hunting in highly residential areas just because the law says they can, irrespective of safety concerns.  Some people just have zero common sense.

• Like 2

You're probably correct in your case and you seem like if it weren't a safe situation even if it were legal, you'd be intelligent enough to not do it.  The problem is, if the law says 50 yards, there will be mental rejects that will be hunting in highly residential areas just because the law says they can, irrespective of safety concerns.  Some people just have zero common sense.

I would suspect those "mental rejects" are probably out there in the same spots even with the 500' rule. I understand the reasoning behind the 150' change. Many of the over populated areas are those that have areas that allow deer to live but are too close to currently hunt. Recovery will remains the sticking point whether the 500' rules stands or it is changed to 250; or 150'. The way I read it, the change isn't automatic. it just gives the DEC the opportunity to make a change is they see fit. You may very well see it implemented in areas like 8C to assist in the population control or it may be by town or such.

• Like 1

If the change the rule to 150' and allow xbows, I am going to have a lot more spots to hunt. My parents, for example, have just under 2 acres and freqently have deer moving through their property. 

Will the neighbors let you recover?

If you sat in the middle of that 2 acres, how far is it to a neighbors building?

Edited by SteveB

Your credibility went right out the window by condemning the speaking out against slob hunters. I am believe it or not - sick of arguing with people, it is much easier to go with the flow and get along, but you are being irresponsible with that statement and compelling me to be a prick...

I agree with you we are self destructing but for much different reasons than you do. However, I agree with Doc that we hunters are a very diverse community and the community of gun owners is even much larger and more diverse.

I don't want to have the actions, motivations, and mentality of other hunters being perceived as my own. If you do, so be it, that is your bussiness. As a matter of fact when talking to a hostile landowner or a person on the fence about the morality of hunting the first thing I do is draw a clear line. To say one of my duck hunts can be compared to the way someone hunts deer, turkey coyotes is ridiculous. More ridiculous is to make that comparison when any form of hunting is done irresponsibly, unethically, or illegally. It is also ridiculous to make a statement that all hunters have a strong conservation ethic or that hunters are generally knowledgeable about conservation - because generally they are not...[/quote

The point I was making was that throughout this debate about crossbows members here allowed themselves to stop debating whether other fellow,hunters,sportsmen and women, should be allowed to use crossbows,and began calling them slob hunters,lazy,not real hunters,ect ect ect.and by attacking fellow hunters,like that,drove wedges between fellow hunters at a time when we are under attack from all sides. I don't have a clue what you are talking about.but re-read it maybe you won't have to be a prick....

I have got to say that 50 yards really is not very far, and I would not blame a homeowner for getting a bit aggravated by seeing some guy squatting in the bushes and would feel like my privacy was being encroached upon. I haven't had to put up with anyone being that close to the house for many decades, so perhaps I am a bit more sensitive than most folks. But I do value my privacy, and that 50 yards stuff would certainly aggravate the hell out of me.

Also, I really can't imagine wanting  to be set up 50 yards from somebody's house. I saw a lot of that kind of thing on that TV program "Chasing Tails", and really couldn't picture myself in that kind of so-called hunt.

Idk how the rest of you feel about this.....but imo if your closest neighbor is far enough away from your house idk why it wouldn't be ok to sit in a orchard behind your house I'll say 100 yards or 150 yards with any type of bow....now if the deer happens to make it to adjoining property obviously it wound become a issue between landowners but hopefully with that risk we are all smart enough to try to get prior permission...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Will the neighbors let you recover?

If you sat in the middle of that 2 acres, how far is it to a neighbors building?

I actually right now can get in 1 spot and hunt legally because it's more than 167 yards to houses, but I wouldn't do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have got to say that 50 yards really is not very far, and I would not blame a homeowner for getting a bit aggravated by seeing some guy squatting in the bushes and would feel like my privacy was being encroached upon. I haven't had to put up with anyone being that close to the house for many decades, so perhaps I am a bit more sensitive than most folks. But I do value my privacy, and that 50 yards stuff would certainly aggravate the hell out of me.

Also, I really can't imagine wanting  to be set up 50 yards from somebody's house. I saw a lot of that kind of thing on that TV program "Chasing Tails", and really couldn't picture myself in that kind of so-called hunt.

you can legally squat near your neighbors bushes anyhow right now. you dont have to be hunting.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

you can legally squat near your neighbors bushes anyhow right now. you dont have to be hunting.

Yup, but put a bow or a gun in his hands, and the situation takes on a whole different public relations significance for the sport of hunting. Without that hunting connection, it most likely is just another visit from your friendly neighborhood voyeur-style pervert.

So if they do this...what happens with hunter harassment laws and charges?... land owners and their families..both hunter and non suppose to hide in their house for fear of being arrested and fined for enjoying their own property as they see fit for 4 months in the fall and a month in the spring?...

if this law passes, it's going to require hunters to apply a little bit of common sense into it.......I've heard more than one landowner on here complain about adjoining landowners violating the imaginary buffer zone by setting a stand up too close to the property line......even if it's a mile from their house, go figure.

if this law passes, it's going to require hunters to apply a little bit of common sense into it.......I've heard more than one landowner on here complain about adjoining landowners violating the imaginary buffer zone by setting a stand up too close to the property line......even if it's a mile from their house, go figure.

What buffer zone?

Fifty yards is not reasonable - especially with all the places you can hunt whitetails. I have a theory about the who and why behind this proposal.

Much of the houses upstate come with small acreages, say 10 or 15 acres. Whoever divvied up land back in the day was quite the smart arkbart. The houses are on the edges of county highways and the land to the rear is either a hill or mountain - in other words not easily buildable. So they subdivided their land and/or built houses in a manner which attached this "worthless" land to houses giving the owner the illusion of getting a great deal. But the lots are long and narrow with neighbors on either side - not much different than living in a suburban subdivision - except firearm discharge / hunting is not prohibited.

I only recently became aware of the culture of pride in taking " deer on your own land" or especially a big buck. I surmised, correctly or not, a good share  of states 800,000 licensed deer hunters are pretty much hunting in their back yards. Many insist on sitting on the property line because they think that affords the most opportunity . Others the property is so narrow it doesn't matter anyway. Being fair, sometimes natural fences on property borders do attract game, however.

Among that culture or mentality is a good share of the people active in the county federations, NY state conservation council, and even cfab and the FWMB. These people want to "hunt deer on their own land" without cooperating with their neighbors. These are high status individuals displaying the  predictable attitude associated with such status.

Since a fair share of the people own small land tracts and hunt this way are closer to the policy makers than the average sportsmen, they are pushing an agenda which meets their personal needs and desires. They can care less about the statewide repercussions that will develop as homeowners complain about hunters 150 feet from their homes and/or unrecovered game on their lawns.

Before someone jumps down my throat and cites the waterfowl exception to the 500 foot set back , I caution that the nature of that law is not the same and discussing it here would only serve to confuse the discussion about a 50 yard setback for deer hunting.

Another thing to keep in mind: at least one town has enacted a setback greater than en-con law. The town of Vestal, which is near Binghamton, requires hunters to be 1,000 feet from buildings. That is verified, and it is also rumored the nearby town of Union has the same local ordinance. A fifty foot set back is very likely to spur townships across the state  to create similar ordinances.

People who cant understand all that or do but are self-serving have no business engaging in policy decisions and average majority sportsmen need to stand up to this crowd.

Edited by mike rossi
  • Like 1

the imaginary one, people think that adjoining landowners shouldn't set up within 50 yards of the property line............we hear people bitching about stands too close to the property line all the time.

It is the same thing that happens with fishing. While on shore you try to cast as far out as possible. when you are in a boat you cast right up against shore....lol. A change to 50 yards won't effect any of the current properties I hunt but there are a couple that I would try to get in on if it is changed.

I don't know .... For some reason, I just can't imagine sitting or sneaking around 50 yards from somebody's house. It seems so weird to be thinking I am actually hunting. It would feel more like some kind of voyeuristic infringement on people's privacy. I don't really want to hear their personal arguments, or listen to their blaring TV sets, or sit there with the family dog barking at me, or sit there on display while they stare out their windows at me .... lol. Hell, I moved out into the country to get away from people. I'm not really in any hurry to use my hunting time cozying back up to them.

I guess also, I have always viewed my hunting as having some sort of connection to nature, and a feeling of getting away from people. To purposely move my hunting into places where I am on top of people and their families and their activities just seems to be contrary to trying to increase the quality of the hunt. The fact is that 500' is a bit close for me. I guess that's just my own personal hang-ups, but I sure won't be taking advantage of any relaxation of the current distance laws.

I just hope that this idea of moving in on the neighbors doesn't cause more confrontations and turn some of the non-hunters into anti-hunters.

• Like 1

If you're not on good enough terms with your neighbor for them to let you hunt under the 500' rule as it stands now, I can't imagine this will help matters much, just because some things are legal, doesn't exactly mean they are the right thing to do........hell, I could blast my radio outside, legally from 8:00 a.m until 11:00 p.m. just about everyday, that doesn't make it right......we hear people getting pissed off about other hunters setting up to close to the property lines as it is, even if it's 1000 yards from their house, I can only imagine what is gonna go on if they allow us to get within 50 yards of a house, and we all know that there's enough jackasses out there who put common sense aside and just do stuff because they can.

• Like 1

Grow. I believe there is the normal activities and there is hunter harassment. I have had hunts buggered up by both. It is pretty obvious when the harassment occurs.

I disagree Read the law carefully...  you will have guys out there that will call and complain because someone is ...mowing their leaves off trails in the fall...or walking their dogs...and what about the ppl with dogs and invisible fencing?...Dogs are replacing kids in many households...ppl spend a great amount of $$ for things like invisible fencing large areas....what about the guy that decided to go out..like my neighbor and fire of a bunch of rounds...when ever....The land owners that work and have to take care of projects after work...or practice shooting after work?

We had one guy be-ouch to everyone in town that Mr B was shooting after work screwing up his bow hunting on purpose!...I mean we heard about it for a year from numerous ppl...mind you I was bow hunting our land at the time and seeing lots of deer...got an 8pt......and this dip stick...was hunting well over a 1/2 mile away from us...

Let me just conclude with mark my words..

I understand the purpose of this law. I know they have all kinds of problems controlling urban and suburban deer populations. The damned deer are just too adaptable. I'll tell you what would be a good compromise. For get the 150' change. How about you can hunt with a bow as close to occupied buildings as you want as long as you have obtained written permission. That way you could sit on some patio furniture on somebody's deck if that's what turns you on, but it would only be in cases where the people affected were in agreement. But keep the 500' rule in effect where permission is not granted.

I disagree Read the law carefully,,,

I have read it and the key is that the activity serves no other legitimate purpose other than disrupt the hunting/fishing activity.

Some one walking up and down their property line banging garbage can lids together would fit that bill. Someone walking their dog, target shooting, or mowing their trails wouldn't. Complaints can be made at any time about anything. Enforcement is another animal entirely.

The one property I hunt is posted. I have permission and the same lady with the garbage can lids would call the police every time she saw me go in. after 3 trips from the sheriffs to talk to me and see that I had permission they finally had to have a talk with her. Their position was the complaints and there having to follow up with me could actually constitute hunter harassment because it served no other purpose than the disrupt my hunt with their follow up. And since each time she was advised I had permission. She was calling just to be disruptive.  I have no idea if they could have made that stick or not but it sure got her to stop the crap.

• Like 2