Governor Announces Support for Crossbows in NY

Tinlodge

you're attacking those who are anti-crossbow. This is me. So I was simply giving you some unsolicited advise. Instead of wasting your time complaining about what's wrong with the anti's. Why don't you state your case for legalization. Many of us have made up our mind and aren't switching sides no matter what. But plenty will read this who are on the fence. Your negative attitude to those opposed doesn't help your cause.

I attacked no one. I stated my views. If they bother you then I suggest you take a look in the mirror and ask yourself why that may be.  I don't like being told I can't use something because someone else doesn't happen to like it.

Your negative attitude to those favoring doesn't help your cause either. It just makes you come across as insinuating that you are better than people who wish to use other methods.

I shouldn't have posted but I just can't stand it sometimes.

I have been reading these posts and I own a crossbow and would love to hunt with it....although i do believe that I should not be able to use a scope on it to at least cut my range down a bit maybe some sort of guidelines about having to use traditional sights and even just being able to use it for a few weeks durring archery season would be ok with me....I just want to be able to use it before gun season opens....that's my .02

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Just for the record. Anyone can just pick up a rifle and go deer hunting, just as the can with a bow. Carrying either weapon or any other isn't hunting. The actual shot is an important but very small part of getting it done. IMO

of course. but lack of success will eventually see them quit. Those with a passion and love will work harder to become successful.

See, I dont see it as making anything easier, just adding another option.

If the level of difficulty is what you are all about, give up the compound and any gun you currently use and go to a long bow and open sights flintlock. Also, toss out your stands and hunt from the ground, with no store bought camo.

it's not just level of difficulty, it's tradition, it's the challenge of having a deer within 30 yards undetected and being able to harvest it. A crossbow is easier (I dont think you can argue that) and it changes the game. And someday when life slows down I absolutely intend to get a recurve. I think you already knew that too.

I believe it was Doc who brought it up before. Yes the change from recurve to compound was controversial. And after we go to crossbows... where does it end? that's the fear. Just like we have a fear of giving any ground with gun laws. The fear is that you give an inch, they'll keep pushing. Now legalizing baiting, maybe even night vision. Obviously I'm taking it to the extreme, but I'm trying to make a point.

I attacked no one. I stated my views. If they bother you then I suggest you take a look in the mirror and ask yourself why that may be.  I don't like being told I can't use something because someone else doesn't happen to like it.

Your negative attitude to those favoring doesn't help your cause either. It just makes you come across as insinuating that you are better than people who wish to use other methods.

I shouldn't have posted but I just can't stand it sometimes.

your views don't bother me, and I respect your right to have them I simply disagree with them. Again, I was giving you unsolicited advice on how to help your cause and asking you to respect my right to have my opinion as well.

you don't like being told you can't use something? with this logic, we should legalize all drugs, gambling, prostitution... how about allowing people to hunt with RPG's? Why even have seasons? Who are they to tell you what you can and can't do, right?

Edited by Belo

you don't like being told you can't use something? with this logic, we should legalize all drugs, gambling, prostitution... how about allowing people to hunt with RPG's? Why even have seasons? Who are they to tell you what you can and can't do, right?

ok, by your "I don't like it so you shouldn't be able to use it" philosophy then I should be able to outlaw big diesel motors in pickups because I think they stink and shouldn't be allowed.  You can accomplish the same thing with smaller gas motors and I like them better so you can't use diesels.  Makes about as much sense as what your position regarding crossbows.  We should probably just let this rest.  I'm a relative newbie here but I'm sure that this has been dissected over and over and over and over on this board.  Let's just agree to disagree and see which side wins in the long run. 

Pact?

it's not just level of difficulty, it's tradition, it's the challenge of having a deer within 30 yards undetected and being able to harvest it. A crossbow is easier (I dont think you can argue that) and it changes the game. And someday when life slows down I absolutely intend to get a recurve. I think you already knew that too.

I believe it was Doc who brought it up before. Yes the change from recurve to compound was controversial. And after we go to crossbows... where does it end? that's the fear. Just like we have a fear of giving any ground with gun laws. The fear is that you give an inch, they'll keep pushing. Now legalizing baiting, maybe even night vision. Obviously I'm taking it to the extreme, but I'm trying to make a point.

Oh, well insert tradition in place of difficulty in my statement and it still works lol.

how about allowing people to hunt with RPG's?

That would be frickin' AWESOME!!  Sign me up...  CACHOW!

I used to be SteveC but it confused people <hey don't ask me, you can't make this stuff up>

Seriously????

Edited by covert

you both just proved my point. You can't possibly have any relative data by talking to a few people in your part of the state. A course in statisics would tell you all you need to know about sample size, who was sampled etc. No offense intended to either of you, but there are thousands of gun owners of various walks of life. To not even hear about the safe act in the news is hard to believe. And for the casual gun owners you're refering to, owning an 870 that they keep in their closet coated in dust, the SAFE act doesn't really change much until they go and try and buy ammo, which is probably very rare.

If you read my response rather than formulating your answer first thing, you would have read where I said me personally talking to people as well as polls done across the state.  I sometimes wonder which side you really are on. I pretty much know, but I still wonder. You have no clue how well organized and involved this movement is state wide. Since I am involved in it I do. And when I try to pass on information, you jump on it every time disclaiming it.  That is why I do not wonder too hard. 

Edited by bubba

:)  I was more confused when it changed! :crazy:

lol - me too.  I forget who, but someone was complaining that there were too many Steves and they couldn't keep them straight.  Now, the fact that mine ended with a C and another ended with a B and another ended with a number (863?) may have been a clue but I didn't want to tax anyone's mind so I just changed mine. ;)

Man, between all of the Steves and the WNYBuckHunters and WNYBowhunters and NY(thisguy) and NY(thatguy)I can never keep track of who I agree with and who I don't.

Great, now I can't even remember what we were fighting about this time!

Edited by covert
  • Like 3

I'm my opinion, Hunting from the ground without a blind with an xbow is more of a challenge then hunting with a compound from a tree stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And , I would think that hunting from a blind with a crossbow would be less of a challange than hunting from a tree stand with a compound .

sent from my e-machine T3085 160GB

If you read my response rather than formulating your answer first thing, you would have read where I said me personally talking to people as well as polls done across the state.  I sometimes wonder which side you really are on. I pretty much know, but I still wonder. You have no clue how well organized and involved this movement is state wide. Since I am involved in it I do. And when I try to pass on information, you jump on it every time disclaiming it.  That is why I do not wonder too hard. 

you missed the point. I am not against you and the cause, and you know that. I am against the internet guy who makes statements as if they're facts. And then it snowballs as people reading your stat regurgitate it. And then before long we all look stupid as we're making claims such as "the moon landing was fake and shot in a Hollywood studio". Because a few people said it was so.

I'm anal with data. It's probably because it's a large part of my job as an engineer. So... if you're going to make statements, just post a link to the study and I'll shut up. No, I'm not going to google the study you read because I don't believe it.

My goal is to help us a group be educated and come across as intelligent when we speak about our cause instead of feeding into the stereotype that we're all a bunch of gun toting anti-gay and abortion red necks.

The NY Executive budget was presented yesterday and as expected, language that will legalize crossbows as hunting implements as well as turn regulatory authority for their use over to the DEC was included. Additionally, language changing how far you have to be from a building to shoot a bow or crossbow from 500 ft to 150 ft is also part of this package. Please make sure you contact your legislators, Speaker Silver and the Senate Co Presidents Skelos and Klein and request they support these items in the budget.

We have and will continue to fight for this until it is done. For those that have been sitting on the sidelines or those that have not renewed your membership, please consider helping this effort.

• Like 3

you missed the point. I am not against you and the cause, and you know that. I am against the internet guy who makes statements as if they're facts. And then it snowballs as people reading your stat regurgitate it. And then before long we all look stupid as we're making claims such as "the moon landing was fake and shot in a Hollywood studio". Because a few people said it was so.

I'm anal with data. It's probably because it's a large part of my job as an engineer. So... if you're going to make statements, just post a link to the study and I'll shut up. No, I'm not going to google the study you read because I don't believe it.

My goal is to help us a group be educated and come across as intelligent when we speak about our cause instead of feeding into the stereotype that we're all a bunch of gun toting anti-gay and abortion red necks.

I did not miss the point, you did not make one to miss

Edited by bubba

The NY Executive budget was presented yesterday and as expected, language that will legalize crossbows as hunting implements as well as turn regulatory authority for their use over to the DEC was included. Additionally, language changing how far you have to be from a building to shoot a bow or crossbow from 500 ft to 150 ft is also part of this package. Please make sure you contact your legislators, Speaker Silver and the Senate Co Presidents Skelos and Klein and request they support these items in the budget.

We have and will continue to fight for this until it is done. For those that have been sitting on the sidelines or those that have not renewed your membership, please consider helping this effort.

Yea baby yea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think 50 yards is too close for safety purposes and told my state "reps" so.  An arrow from a compound can easily fly 50 yards and end up hitting someone in a yard.  I've never shot a crossbow (yet) but I would assume they could do the same although I have no first hand experience to back that up.