Governor Announces Support for Crossbows in NY

Tinlodge

Jason118, on 05 Feb 2014 - 01:02 AM, said:

When do we find out the regulations of use for our area? My father can't pull a bow back any longer and I would like to get him set up ASAP if it's going to be plausible in our area

In the meantime, there are devices to assist his draw.

Yes and that was the initial plan, he would need a new set up either way. If we were sure crossbow is going to pass , I would just get him that instead of spending the money on a bow with all the extras.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hey jason wait until cabelas opens in erie county they'll have a huge selections of crossbows,along with a range to try them,along with a staff that knows how to help you or your dad in picking one.watch out with the draw assist,my dad tried one,one of the limbs started to delaminate,voided the warranty.most limbs on todays bows won't withstand being held fully loaded for long periods of time.

Wonder if NY will stick with 200lb max for xbows? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think 200 lbs is fine. the manufacturers need work on quieting them down though bigtime.i've tried them in ohio and wisconsin on bow hunts and i found a 20 yard shot is a long way! with the noise they make.the nay sayers really don't know what their talking about when they repeat the talking points that people will be killing deer 30,40,50 yards away....bullshit the deer'll be long gone before that bolt arrives.i had a nice buck jump the string at 30 yards made me laugh and shake my head.

hey jason wait until cabelas opens in erie county they'll have a huge selections of crossbows,along with a range to try them,along with a staff that knows how to help you or your dad in picking one.watch out with the draw assist,my dad tried one,one of the limbs started to delaminate,voided the warranty.most limbs on todays bows won't withstand being held fully loaded for long periods of time.

I had to make the switch to using the Draw-loc from Hickory Creek Archery due to my disability, and I will say that they are expensive and somewhat awkward to use. It will be only a matter of time, and the Barnett crossbow I have will replace use of the Draw-loc, and life will go on in archery season like it always has. Get used to it. Cabelas will be a nice addition to the area, that's for sure.

I had to make the switch to using the Draw-loc from Hickory Creek Archery due to my disability, and I will say that they are expensive and somewhat awkward to use. It will be only a matter of time, and the Barnett crossbow I have will replace use of the Draw-loc, and life will go on in archery season like it always has. Get used to it. Cabelas will be a nice addition to the area, that's for sure.

my friends and i are making plans to be standing in line the day their doors open can't wait!

love that sheridan park golf course by the way!loooong

first off as most on here know I do allow recoveries and even had my cell # printed on my posted signs for just that reason...do you?...I never said MY deer...I said set up next to MY HOME and there will be no recovery...period...I believe out of anyone here..... I with a medium sized parcel may have the most ppl bordering me. Only one area someone could set up close to our home and I know from experience they will try...when they have a 150+ acre lease to hunt..

Now lets address the accidental release...It's happened to me and I know for a fact guys have mentioned that and loops letting loose...lets talk how far and in strange directions arrows hitting those unseen or thought would miss branch deflections also talked about here... In fact I had a shot on a live deer as well as my 3D that deflected off backs...on the live deer I watched the arrow zip up..not down... and off out into the woods and was never found...the target one went another 30 yards and through a steel live stock gate...

So yes some times things happen...with the attitude that you have displayed.... I would come to the conclusion that you'd be one of the........ got to get the buck at any cost ...no common sense hunters that some here worry about...Really you thought accidental release was a "peach"

As far as "peeping Toms...Well guys are guys and when bored glancing all around with the binoculars would not be an unheard of thing...I would not want to have a teen aged daughters bed room ..or my bathroom in view...sorry I have read some posts here....they don't put me at ease...and I would think it wouldn't some Dads on here either..... Not guys only ...woman are just nosy...I have a neighbor with a spotting scope a little over a 1/4 mile away...there's nothing she does not see...thankfully..... for she's alerted me on many occasions of trespassers. The point is ppl want their privacy and their ability to be at home around their yard! and feel safe and secure.....

careful...... the neighbor with the spotting scope thats 1/4 mile away could be looking into your bathroom....hahahahahaha....im sorry i..i could'nt resist!

That comments been made many years in a row now. How many dropped a grand on a crossbow that's now dated technology? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Belo ---- I don't own a cross bow and probably never will but I don't have a problem spending other people's money . B)

For me It's not the privacy issue...my kids are long gone and my bathroom is on the other side of house...it's safety for my family and friends and my dogs..and respect....as I said not near my house call and I'll help you drag...been there done that...you set up even close to my home NO RECOVERY period...and the DEC can bite my back side as far as that goes as well...I would pay a carcass disposal place if I had to to get rid of it...or keep a nice hole dug and at the ready with the backhoe...

Lol ..... I'll admit that it is primarily a privacy issue with me. I didn't spend all those years making a 70+ mile commute just to come out to my country home and see some guy squatting in the hedgerow grinning back at me at a mere 50 yards.

And I also have a problem with the safety aspect of a 50 yard setback. If I were a suburbanite, effected by backyard archers, the notion of making it perfectly legal for neighbors to shoot within 50 yards of my house without any additional legal qualifications regarding back-stopping and direction of shooting would pretty much have me up in arms. Unless they do a lot better job of composing the setback law than they currently do, the proposal would allow somebody to shoot directly at your house with no requirement of adequate back-stopping. How the heck could any sane person suggest such a thing?

• Like 1

Yea the 50 yard setback will do nothing but cause problems for bow hunters. We already have groups showing videos on You-Tube of deer with arrows sticking in their butts wobbling about and videos of peoples homes with arrows stuck in their decks, siding, and next to the kids swing set. Can you imagine in places like Long Island and Westchester when they let hunters post 50 yards from a neighbors dwelling, I can see big problems arising from this.

We as bow hunters do in most part hold ourselves to a high standard but in reality all you need to get a bowhunting license is a free Sat afternoon and a few bucks, and that really doesn't separate the hunters who make bad decisions from responsible hunters.  

• Like 1

I understand how difficult it must be in some areas to keep the deer in check. The stupid things are even moving into some urban areas where even the proposed 50 yard setback change would not do the job.

I was visiting some people down in Naples (and I do mean IN the village) and I saw 3 deer wandering through the yards. A 50 foot setback would not have allowed these deer to be shot. I saw the same thing in Brighton where the distance between houses is only about one driveway width. Herds of 7 or 8 were wandering around in the back yards. Should they make the setback 10 feet to make sure that every one of these deer are subject to harvest? Let's face it, there are going to be some deer that we simply will never be able to control unless we want to put up with some very dangerous and invasive rules changes. Where do we draw the line? I will reiterate what some body on here said....We will continue to push the envelope so far that whole townships will be passing ordinances that forbid any kind of archery to take place throughout the whole township. So where will that have gotten us?

• Like 1

what am i getting used to? Pretty cocky statement from a side that has lost many years in a row now.

I could use an xbow in pa and nj, and I've tried it but I find the xbow heavy and awkward. I like shooting my short ata bow.

That said I wish it was legal here so my dad and pop could hunt archery up here.

I also see the benefits of new hunters starting out with an xbow on a shooting rail and moving up to compund bow hunting after getting used to getting deer into archery range and mastering good shot selection/placement.

I think if you are against xbow than throw away your compound and hunt traditional only. Same goes for your fancy rifles, trade em for flintlock if you feel so strongly about tradition or fairness or whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager

think if you are against xbow than throw away your compound and hunt traditional only. Same goes for your fancy rifles, trade em for flintlock if you feel so strongly about tradition or fairness or whatever.

I agree 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess the only people that should be upset are the traditional archers, they fought against compound bows for years... they were approved..fingers only ..then releases were legalised then 50% then 60% and now 80-90% letoff is allowed.  This is just another loss for them. as for the compound archers you stand upon them victorious for what? how many of you hunt traditionally, or would give up the rut for them to have their own season? Get over it ......  Crossbows are coming sooner or later, same as compounds arrived. Why say we're winning? it only take 1 loss to turn the tide(think the south losing at gettysburg) they arent going away so why not welcome them with open arms?

• Like 2

Seriously? .... Are you guys really going to fight this battle all over again....lol. My gosh you guys really are getting bored. What we need is some energetic soul to go back into the archives and cut and paste all those years of crap and repost it here. There's not a single point that hasn't been repeated at least a couple dozen times.

• Like 1

Well no body wants to say it nor do they want to admit it and the following has NOTHING to VERY LITTLE... for some.... to  do with OUR deer...stick that in the back of your minds for a bit...

The objection is ppl..lt's not why I got into bow hunting...but it's a big part of why I stayed...Hunting in gun season was getting rougher and rougher...bullets whizzing past your ears...trees getting hit .feet from you...... people popping up behind your deer as your about to squeeze off a shot...Hell and that was private land..I can't imagine how the public land guys were /are feeling..

So when a certain blow hard(lease guy actually) went on and one about the only real hunters were bow hunters...and it takes 7 yrs to get a deer with a bow...yada...yada yada as he drove his bucks... every year..... house to house around the hill...I  said really!!! and borrowed a 50 yr old recurve and started shooting...then went for my exam and 2 yrs later shot my first bow buck a 7pt...then got my kids into it...So yep it started out to shut up pompous AH and with traditional equipment/instinctive and a woman to boot...that didn't go over well......but he did stop driving his bucks around...

What I learned was I loved it...I loved the quiet ...the challenge.... but most of all SEEING DEER...that's right I realized hey.... there really are a lot of deer on our place...and wow look at the bucks....I'd never seen doe relaxed before and actually fight...I didn't know or ever see the social dynamics of deer until that LOW pressure quiet time in the woods....I had to work for that...I had to practice.... take a 2 day course/test..(Oh ya new regs burn me)...I had things to learn about being quiet and slow in movement....

When x-bows go into deer and bear first thing...... the woods will fill up again and the daytime movement will become what it was and is during gun season...I fore see some brainyack (sp) saying to a buddy...I'll walk the woods and maybe I'll bump one past your stand ..bow hunting drives...human stinking nature...

Let them learn on small game and turkey first.... so they know the limitations...even now here........ there are so many ppl in the woods during and the week before bow....... I have seen, in the last 17 years the deer going more and more nocturnal during bow. Yes what happens on surrounding properties effect all properties...So there it is..... the many many ppl in the last decade that put in the time and the work to get away from the "crowds and noise" don't want to loose what they have enjoyed...and this has nothing to do with disadvantaged usage...... something I am sure most everyone agrees with...It also has NOTHING to do with OUR deer  it has to do with the ratio of effort put forth for enjoyment...

The Sad Funny thing is... that many of the gun hunters that will pick up a x-bow...Not having to do what all us bow hunters have had to :angry: ...... Will do so because they will be going after ALL the BUCK the we bow hunters get before them...How many times has that been heard?...yet..... in lets say in 5 years... the influx of ppl will have the same results as the numbers of ppl in gun...nocturnal movement except during the rut or younger deer...I may be wrong...but thinking probably not we'll see...

• Like 2

I must admit. You are the cockiest bunch of "losers" I've ever know. The whole groups tone is "just wait till next year, blah, blah" it's been like that every year and you keep losing. It's sad really ;) Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW xD

From who I have spoke with in the past few weeks, I'm fairly confident that xbows will be legal this fall.

The DEC will move quick and I'm not hearing the level of rumbling necessary to remove the authority provision.

It's going to happen fast once the authority is granted to the DEC.

In 3-5 years, xbow will represent close to or more than 50% of the archery take. It's just going to be the way it is. Am I a full-on supporter? No. I'm a dreaded fence sitter. But, shall they make it legal, I'll likely buy one for use from time to time. I know it won't be my primary archery option, but there will be days I take it afield.

• Like 1

From who I have spoke with in the past few weeks, I'm fairly confident that xbows will be legal this fall.

The DEC will move quick and I'm not hearing the level of rumbling necessary to remove the authority provision.

It's going to happen fast once the authority is granted to the DEC.

In 3-5 years, xbow will represent close to or more than 50% of the archery take. It's just going to be the way it is. Am I a full-on supporter? No. I'm a dreaded fence sitter. But, shall they make it legal, I'll likely buy one for use from time to time. I know it won't be my primary archery option, but there will be days I take it afield.

I like your statement.

• Like 1