Finally got Dad's Cabana done

Culvercreek hunt club

I know it is late but we just couldn't get it in this year. Seems like we always bite off more than we can chew for the yearly project list. Thought I would share some pics. It is on a easterly facing side hill with a flat hemlock plateau to the west and a 150 yard view down the hill to the bottom. the side hill is mixed timber and blowdowns. They really hang there with a strong west wind.

just have to place the windows and paint next year. I don't think it will produce since it is new but he is determined to sit in it this year. Time will tell.

post-203-131455369764_thumb.jpg

post-203-131455369937_thumb.jpg

post-203-131455369958_thumb.jpg

post-203-131455370199_thumb.jpg

That's neat. I see you made use of some metal supports. With some windows you could use a spot heater in there. Just gotta keep the uninvited critters and bees out of it. Looks to be about 8` off the ground should be plenty for gun season.

Looking into building a box blind myself next year, did you build it all on the spot or preconstruct anything?

It is on some masonry scaffold I picked up cheap from a guy going out of business. old 2x4's and left over 1/2" CDX plywood. Up hill side is about 8' off the ground t the platform the downhill side is about 10. the joints are all tight and i will put plywood over the window openings at the end of the season. Next spring we will put in plexiglass but still working on the way that will work.

He has visions of a buddy heater in there and insulating the walls.

I precut everything except the window openings. I ran the plywood by and used a chainsaw to cut flush with the framing once it was up. I skidded the platform in with my 4 wheeler and all teh materials were brought in on the wheeler to. no carts...just the racks.

It really is a nice spot. I have jumped a very nice buck off that side hill 3 years in a row during cold windy days. you just cant sneak up on them before they bust you. I am hoping that he gets there before they do one day.

He is getting less mobile each year so that is why I chose the mason scaffold. very sound structurally and if I wrap it in camo fabric he can actuall ride teh wheeler to the stand and park right under it inside the fabric.

He's always wanted one like this so who am I to question. I am betting when I am sitting in my open ladder stand on a 0 degree day I will be making a small push to him to get in and warm up though ;)

lol Mmm hmmmm....

i knew it...