Preference Points for out of state Hunting

BizCT

That all depends on where you are hunting and what you are hunting for.  Some hunts, the guide can handle everything.  Others, its up to you to obtain the tag first.  And, you don't need a guide on all out of state hunts.  For example, once I have 3 or 4 points for Iowa, we will go without a guide and hunt public most likely.

Moog,

Just curious if there is anything in particular that you are reading to plan out your Iowa hunt. Curious how people develop their plans when going to another state. I assume your are going to be hunting public land correct, or do you have a hook on some private land? I'm a newbie when it comes to planning hunts out of state and don't want to get taken for a ride by some of these guides out there.

Just to let you guys know Maine has recently changed their system for the Mose lottery to make it easier for those in the long run. You can buy points for years you can't go and the points increase after five and ten years. They also guarantee if you have ten points after 70

Years old I think. My trip cost less than two thousand including house rental and meat cutting. Travel was extra. Just be careful some zones do not have public land and some don't have motels or house rentals like zone 1. It was the best hunting trip of my life.

guaranteed after I'm 70? don't have time for that.

That all depends on where you are hunting and what you are hunting for.  Some hunts, the guide can handle everything.  Others, its up to you to obtain the tag first.  And, you don't need a guide on all out of state hunts.  For example, once I have 3 or 4 points for Iowa, we will go without a guide and hunt public most likely.

Ive got friends in iowa (corn farmers) so i would hunt there land.... IF i had the money to go... :(

I'm thinking of starting to apply for the VT, New Hampshire and Maine moose permits.

I drew a tag in VT in 2011 after 9 years,Im on 12 years in maine and N.H. In 15 minutes they will post the maine results. Hope springs eternal. Im up to 21 pref. points in Maine. One down side is that N.H. announced they have cut way back on tags due to the fact that the moose population has dropped considerably in the last few years.

Edited by ANTLERS

wy draw results have been out for about a week.  my second choice last year was 100% in the special draw.  this year, there was 35+ guys that did not get a tag as first choice.  i thought for sure i would be hunting antelope in wy.  i'm glad there is over the counter tags out west or i would never get to hunt.

wy draw results have been out for about a week.  my second choice last year was 100% in the special draw.  this year, there was 35+ guys that did not get a tag as first choice.  i thought for sure i would be hunting antelope in wy.  i'm glad there is over the counter tags out west or i would never get to hunt.

Thanks for the heads up! I was away last week. I just logged in and see that I drew both tags (C for Deer and 023 for Antelope). I'll be hunting out there 10/1 - 10/4.

Ive got friends in iowa (corn farmers) so i would hunt there land.... IF i had the money to go... :(

Joe - If you are serious about hunting in Iowa and money is the only thing holding you back, then please reach out to me.  We can work something out. I would gladly pay for your airfare, etc. in return for a chance to hunt private land in Iowa.

• 2 weeks later...

Wyoming preference points are on sale. I am buying deer ($40) & elk ($50). Nice that I don't have to pick a unit now, can just buy points and worry about the unit years down the road. Antelope ($30) isn't a bad price, but hopefully I'll get my 2nd antelope this October and not really interested in a 3rd someday. Hopefully I'll get my 2nd Mule Deer this October as well, but Mulies are awesome and I know I will want another someday. Elk right now doesn't really interest me but someday I'm sure it will, so for $50 why not.  I see Moose ($75) and Bighorn Sheep ($100) are also available, but Moose doesn't interest me and it appears the Sheep tag could take so many years to draw, it's not worth spending all that $. Better off putting that $ towards a Canadian sheep hunt with OTC tag if I ever really wanted to do one.

UPDATE: Nevermind, can't buy Antelope or Deer since I am hunting them this year. Just buying the Elk point.