Most Versatile Caliber for NY Hunting?

CFD914

If you are only hunting NY and you can only afford 1 gun I would go with a 12ga shotgun with 2 barrels 1 deer barrel and 1 bird barrel then you can hunt both big and small game. If your only looking for a deer rifle and not planning to hunt anything bigger then deer or black bear I would look at any of the lever guns if you're looking at a bolt gun then I would go with one in 7-08 or 308 if you're going to hunt anything bigger I would go with a bigger gun.

Larry has a good point, a 12 ga will take anything in NY and Pa. Having hunted with 30 cal rifles for twenty years I always looked down on shotguns. Now having hunted shotgun counties for 10 years and taken deer out to 100 yrds with rifled slugs in a smooth bore I like it. Even used a Franchi ultralight auto in 20 ga with open sites, that's a doll to shoot. Having the second barrel let's you switch to anything from dove to turkey. About the only thing that would give you trouble is woodchucks.

Looking at Dutchess County and the Catskills Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dutchess deer and bear hunting is restricted to shotgun only.

Other than the 22lr you already have and if you plan on deeer hunting Dutchess, I would also favor a pump shotgun combo.....Rem 870/ Mossberg 500 or similar flavor. Bird barrel would allow you to branch out into small game and turkey if you wanted.

• Like 1

243 maybe light but the right amount of practice and proper shot placement, you can take deer and even black bear in my opinion.  A 30-06 of course will more than do the job but even with the lightest bullet, a 30-06 will still leave a pretty decent size hole in a coyote.  Not sure if you're interested in saving the pelt when you're talking about being able to hunt a wide variety of game.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. I like the 30-06 because it seems like every has or has had one and you can find the ammo almost anywhere still.

As for as the title, versatility, I mean something, that is not way too big for NY. I like small game hunting but I would like a caliber that would ethically harvest a deer. I understand placement is key, as to why I am at the range often, learning the mechanics, and getting familiar with a 22, before I purchase a center fire.

However, I would like to extend past the deer season, go for hare as well. I am sure my 22 will be the right caliber for squirrel.

I liked the 243 when thinking about it, but was told it really isnt too common, and I really haven't seen any ammo in it as well.

The Mossberg 500 sounds like a good purchase.

Now a question for the 30-06 since I would like that as well, can you find it in grains lower than 160?

Thanks again everyone.

I'm not sure what the situation with .243 ammo is, but finding ammo for it has not been as easy as 30-06 and .308 in my area. I did order a bunch online, when it was still legal to do so. Bullets weigh from 55 grains all the way to 107 or so. That's pretty versatile IMO.

IMO, the .243 is a very capable round for NYS, even for bear. Those that state otherwise, well, you keep shooting those 30-06's and 300 wm

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Edited by shawnhu
  • Like 1

Add;

"and wise bullet choice" to that, and you'd have a better point IMO.

Very true. For got where I read it but the top factors in determine lethality ranked in order:

1. Shot placement.

2. Bullet type selection.

3. Caliber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well a 243 for bear???? I know they penetrateed 4inches and never made it to the muscle let alone body cavity 5 shots in all at bear i got. shots were broadside at 40 yards... bear you need 30 cal(maybe a heay 270 or 25 06 if perfect shot placement) or shotgun preferably 12 guage slugs.IMO . 12 Ga with buck and bird barrel though to beat

Well a 243 for bear???? I know they penetrateed 4inches and never made it to the muscle let alone body cavity 5 shots in all at bear i got. shots were broadside at 40 yards... bear you need 30 cal(maybe a heay 270 or 25 06 if perfect shot placement) or shotgun preferably 12 guage slugs.IMO . 12 Ga with buck and bird barrel though to beat

4"? Please refer to post above.

Shot placement, bullet selection, then caliber.

Well a 243 for bear???? I know they penetrateed 4inches and never made it to the muscle let alone body cavity 5 shots in all at bear i got. shots were broadside at 40 yards... bear you need 30 cal(maybe a heay 270 or 25 06 if perfect shot placement)

You seriously need to learn about bullet selection. Stop using those .243 55 grain varmint bullets on bear!! :-)

Zhe Wiz

• Like 3

i used a 45-70gov.. i know what it takes to kill a 400 lb bear.. .243 max bullet 105grain is still too underpowered for bear... unless you are a sniper and can shoot it charging in the eye. you can kill a moose with a .22 lr but i put my money on a 300.win mag everytime. seriously .243 for bear?? the quiestion was asked for a all around center fire rifle for hunting nys.. which has 2 primary big game animal.. deer and bear.. i'm sure you'll see .243 at top of everyone list right behind a .223 (which is a military round designed to wound not kill) wth ... think a non perfect shot..deflection on limb ... or maybe your the perfect slayer.... seriously??

Are 243 rounds easy to find? I know 30-06 you can find everywhere, but haven't seen 243 yet.

.243 has been off the shelves in local stores for a while. I'm selling mine off now, because I'm reloading.

They must be off the shelves because its a horrible round for NYS....

Edited by shawnhu

i used a 45-70gov.. i know what it takes to kill a 400 lb bear.. .243 max bullet 105grain is still too underpowered for bear... unless you are a sniper and can shoot it charging in the eye. you can kill a moose with a .22 lr but i put my money on a 300.win mag everytime. seriously .243 for bear?? the quiestion was asked for a all around center fire rifle for hunting nys.. which has 2 primary big game animal.. deer and bear.. i'm sure you'll see .243 at top of everyone list right behind a .223 (which is a military round designed to wound not kill) wth ... think a non perfect shot..deflection on limb ... or maybe your the perfect slayer.... seriously??

You just said you can kill a moose with a 22LR, then say .243 is too underpowered for bear. 'Nuff said.

Keep shooting those 300WM. I'm sure you'll blow through any obstacle(branch, brush, tree trunk) fine and hit your mark with it.