Taking the plunge

cdmckane

But you don't change anchor point! So bow drawlength is shorter.

Your anchor point should be at the place that is comfortable consistent and accurate for you.  If you change anchor point you either weren"t at the right spot to begin with or you changed it to the wrong spot.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with changing an anchor point with a new set up. You could have to change it for many reasons. Change your release., add a D Loop. It is no different than modifying your grip in your bow hand. Changes to shooting form are common for a variety of reasons.

• Like 1

I have a bow with a 29" drawlength and I shot off the string.  If I now put on a d-loop the bow's drawlength would be to long for me and I would need to shorten the drawlength.

I wouldn't recommend that. if you used a kisser button or the fletching as a reference I would suggested keeping the reference and repositioning your hand.

The point is surely getting lost here.  What I was trying to explain is that a person's PROPER draw length should be determined when the nock of the arrow (blue in WNY's picture) is vertically below the eye - as it is in that photo.  That length is based on your physical structure and does not change.  It is the proper draw length for the person.

Now, if you choose to anchor closer or farther back on the face, you can change the d-loop to do so.  That will allow you to find the repeatable anchor.  It does not change the draw length, merely the anchor point.

Anyone can draw a bow too long or too short in DL.  This would result in the nock being behind the eye or in front of the eye, respectively.  This would suggest that they are drawing a bow that is not the correct DL for that person.  Again, the d-loop doesn't matter.  That established only your anchor point.  Where is the nock in relation to your eye? 

If your body structure does not change, the length from your bow arm extended to the nock reaching below your eye remains constant, irrespective of d-loop length.  That is the point and a proper DL for the person.

I don't think anyone is seriously arguing that the DL of the bow itself changes.  I officially give up now.

a bow set for a 29" draw length will always be 29"....but if I add another 1/2 to 3/4 inches by adding a D-loop, will you not have to draw back an extra 1/2 to 3/4 inches to come to full draw? If I only draw back 29", I'm gonna be 1/2 to 3/4 shy of meeting "full draw"...no?......I understand the draw length as set on the bow will not change, but the distance you have to draw the bow back will change by whatever the D-loop adds...........

No, you still move your arm 29", the point relative to other points on your body is what changes.

Ok just a question now.

If I go get my drawlength measured it will be the same no matter where my anchor is?

You don't adjust the DL to your anchor.  When the nock reachs below the eye at full draw, that is YOUR DL.  You can then adjust the loop, release, etc. to find your anchor.

• Like 1

What about if I wear a pair of boots with a thicker soul on them and then put on my slippers after, do I change height or am I still 6 foot tall?

LOL - I tried this 20yrs ago when I had some NFL scouts come to my school.  They would not let me include the thicker sole.  I never quite reached 6'1" as hard as I tried.

• Like 1

I corrected it. What he is talking about is not changing the draw length, its changing the anchor point. The two things just get mixed up sometimes. Thats all.

I agree, but if one were to keep their anchor point and add a d-loop it affects their draw length. I think that's all that was trying to be said. If one were to move their anchor because of the d-loop, then no need to change their draw length.

I guess this is all a preference thing. I believe we get too rapped around "perfect form" and forget that different things work for different people. There are plenty of golfers, basketball players, pitchers who have been told their whole life that their form is not correct, however they still succeed. Whatever works for someone is what they should do. If you like your release and your anchor point and want to add a loop, then you should adjust accordingly.

I changed my anchor point a few years ago to compensate for a new release that I liked. While difficult to adjust to at first, the anchor point is also more accurate and effective.

some use fingers, some use loops, some use a kisser button. Whatever works. I think the only thing that matters is that your draw length is correct for your setup and preference. regardless of how you get there.

Edited by Belo

It still wouldnt affect their draw length. I know what you are trying to say, you are just using the wrong terms. If you add a dloop, youd want to adjust the length of your release to keep your anchor point, not the bow. If you shorten the draw length of the bow, you lose speed, etc.

I agree, whatever works.

Ok  I walk into bowshop to get set up as first time archer Looking at compounds i get measured up I get a release aid and all the goodies to go with my new bow.  I pick out a bow and am ordering one.

The draw length of the bow will be different depending on whether i use a D-loop or not.

• Like 1

Ok  I walk into bowshop to get set up as first time archer Looking at compounds i get measured up I get a release aid and all the goodies to go with my new bow.  I pick out a bow and am ordering one.

The draw length of the bow will be different depending on whether i use a D-loop or not.

I say yes, if you want to keep the same anchor point you had without one.

How many different ways can we tell you no?

D-loops will force you to use a shorter release or adjust your anchor point, NOT CHANGE THE DRAW LENGTH.

No, you are a first time archer, you have no previous anchor point to compare to. If you are buying everything new, they will measure your draw length, based on the most typical anchor points to get your form in a relatively good position, then they would ask if you will be using a loop and set you up with the correct release and draw length bow.

lmao you guys just cant seem to grasp the FACT that you dont change a bows draw length with a dloop. PERIOD

• Like 1