Where do we stand with crossbows

Tinlodge

I own a  Recurve, compound and Crossbow. My bow of choice is the Recurve and I use my crossbow in Ohio and Pennsylvania. In the two fore mentioned states I have seen no adverse effects from using crossbows and have actually seen more hunters come back into the sport because of them. Look around people, we are getting older as a group and the young are not flocking to this sport, If allowing crossbows in New York brings additional people to  this sport, or allows a current Hunter to continue on doing what he loves, I don't see a problem with it. We are becoming our own worst enemies with all this in fighting. All you have to do is look toward Albany and see what our elected officials have done recently to understand that we are now a minority. I have hunted for over 50 years, and have hunted all over this great country and have never seen things as bad as this. We need to come together folks.

Edited by CPD1670
  • Like 3

All bows (longbows, compounds, crossbows) allowed in archery season, all guns allowed in gun season. One buck tag each year, and DMPs allocated as they need to be, no either sex tags that cover the whole state. Knock a week off of the end of gun season, leave a gap, then have late ML/archery as is.

Ahhhhh, simple, and would make for an even better late season. Hunters would become more selective with buck harvests and does could be managed more effectively.

A guy can dream cant he? Lol

As long as you do away with the antlerless fill in bow and muzzleloader. With the new technology, it isn't necessary any longer. Just issue DMPs if does need killing.

Not understanding how hunters hate the fact that they can be told what size buck (or turkey for that matter) to take because it infringes on their right of choice given that they pay a good amount for their license.. yet have no problem accepting being told the number of deer they can take and of what sex, plus have their hunting season reduced by a week (for the same cost of a license). Totally throws the "freedom of choice" argument right out the window. I also find it funny how bow hunters don't have a problem with reducing gun hunting season and gun hunters have no problem reducing bow season. LOL... it's a joke sometimes how hunters talk of being conservationist and the importance of hunting and conservation, when really it's all about "What will make it better for ME."

Regulations on number of deer are a necessity to avoid the demise of the species, and therefor is in the best interests of all hunters. Most people know that. Mandatory antler restrictions is all about the desires of only some hunters. Not everyone cares about the size of the rack or age of the deer they harvest, and thats fine by me. I do not wish to push my personal choices upon anyone else. Thats why i say all bows in archery and all guns in gun season. Let people choose which variation they want to use.

Btw, im a deer hunter. Not a gun hunter, not a bow hunter.

As long as you do away with the antlerless fill in bow and muzzleloader. With the new technology, it isn't necessary any longer. Just issue DMPs if does need killing.

Thats what i said. No more either sex tags. Has nothing to do with technology, it has to do with the ability of DEC to fine tune doe management based on herd numbers in each DMU.

Oh yeah, mandatory reporting of every tag too. You dont report success or no success by a certain date, you cant buy your license the next year.

Thats what i said. No more either sex tags. Has nothing to do with technology, it has to do with the ability of DEC to fine tune doe management based on herd numbers in each DMU.

Oh yeah, mandatory reporting of every tag too. You dont report success or no success by a certain date, you cant buy your license the next year.

I agree fully on mandatory reporting success or failure

The reporting and the one buck all have the same common denominator..... the DEC

It doesn't matter what you want or don't; our states number 1 priority is license sales...that's why we have multiple seasons, safety courses, little to no value in census (of population, hunters, kills)...... I am so against crossbows but it if it went the one and done route I would fight for the front of the supporter line.... its all about the $$$$- not you or the deer beyond the dollars....

Regulations on number of deer are a necessity to avoid the demise of the species, and therefor is in the best interests of all hunters. Most people know that. Mandatory antler restrictions is all about the desires of only some hunters. Not everyone cares about the size of the rack or age of the deer they harvest, and thats fine by me. I do not wish to push my personal choices upon anyone else. Thats why i say all bows in archery and all guns in gun season. Let people choose which variation they want to use.

Btw, im a deer hunter. Not a gun hunter, not a bow hunter.

I wasn't necessarily referring to you... I agree about bows in archery season and guns in gun season. I just find it funny that some are willing to impose limiting the number and/or sex of deer along with eliminating a week of the season and think that is somehow different than imposing an antler restriction.. it isn't. It is the same imposition on hunter choice... I, and others, may choose to keep things as they are, you and others may not... how is that different than some wanting AR's and some not... each will impose on some hunters what they don't want... my point is that either way we have hunters that really are only interested in how it affects them not how it affects actual conservation. Hunters are notorious for talking a good game when it comes to the actual welfare of animals, but when it comes right down to it they only want to serve their own interest...case in point... the coyote vs. deer thing... some hunters value the deer over the coyote as if one is more important than the other

I'm in total agreement with this, but here is a good one for ya... I have talked to several biologists and asked them why we don't do it exactly how you described... none of them ( yes that was NONE) thought that it wouldn't make any difference and argued that their statistical means are just as accurate... I disagreed stating that nothing can be more accurate than actual numbers, but they remained steadfast in their opinion. Kinda tells me there won't be any mandatory reporting any time soon (or at least the enforcement of it)... probably because it might eliminate a state job or two if we made it too easy.

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 1

I wasn't necessarily referring to you... I agree about bows in archery season and guns in gun season. I just find it funny that some are willing to impose limiting the number and/or sex of deer along with eliminating a week of the season and think that is somehow different than imposing an antler restriction.. it isn't. It is the same imposition on hunter choice... I, and others, may choose to keep things as they are, you and others may not... how is that different than some wanting AR's and some not... each will impose on some hunters what they don't want... my point is that either way we have hunters that really are only interested in how it affects them not how it affects actual conservation. Hunters are notorious for talking a good game when it comes to the actual welfare of animals, but when it comes right down to it they only want to serve their own interest...case in point... the coyote vs. deer thing... some hunters value the deer over the coyote as if one is more important than the other

Oh I know you werent talking about me specifically, just giving my opinion on the subject. I agree with you that my suggestion on a week between gun and muzzle loader being self serving. It is 100%. I believe that a 1 buck rule would tick off alot less people than mandatory ARs would, and i also believe it would make more hunters more choosy about what buck they shoot, while still allowing those that dont care, to shoot the buck of their choice. The way i see it is its all about managing the deer herd and protecting our hunting heritage. In order to achive both, you have to keep the hunters happy, so you put regulations in place that do a good job of both. Compromises on both sides have to be made.

• Like 1

I'm in total agreement with this, but here is a good one for ya... I have talked to several biologists and asked them why we don't do it exactly how you described... none of them ( yes that was NONE) thought that it wouldn't make any difference and argued that their statistical means are just as accurate... I disagreed stating that nothing can be more accurate than actual numbers, but they remained steadfast in their opinion. Kinda tells me there won't be any mandatory reporting any time soon (or at least the enforcement of it)... probably because it might eliminate a state job or two if we made it too easy.

I agree completely.

I believe that a 1 buck rule would tick off alot less people than mandatory ARs would, and i also believe it would make more hunters more choosy about what buck they shoot, while still allowing those that dont care, to shoot the buck of their choice. The way i see it is its all about managing the deer herd and protecting our hunting heritage. In order to achive both, you have to keep the hunters happy, so you put regulations in place that do a good job of both. Compromises on both sides have to be made.

Very good post!

Oh I know you werent talking about me specifically, just giving my opinion on the subject. I agree with you that my suggestion on a week between gun and muzzle loader being self serving. It is 100%. I believe that a 1 buck rule would tick off alot less people than mandatory ARs would, and i also believe it would make more hunters more choosy about what buck they shoot, while still allowing those that dont care, to shoot the buck of their choice. The way i see it is its all about managing the deer herd and protecting our hunting heritage. In order to achive both, you have to keep the hunters happy, so you put regulations in place that do a good job of both. Compromises on both sides have to be made.

That's a good view from the point of the DEC... But to the hunter compromise means ... "I'm okay with the conservation side as long as you give me what I want, if I don't get what I want then screw conservation." That was my point... and with that the DEC sometimes ends up caving on good management practice to appease the self serving hunter who talks a big game about being all about the animal. The human condition is usually conservations worst enemy.

• Like 1

I am of the opinion that the DEC is not interested in things that have to do with a smaller deer harvest (buck or doe). Any moves in the direction of restricting harvests only come as a result of severe political pressure, or severe deer mortality. Otherwise, everything that I have seen them push are items that make deer hunting more efficient at reducing population. I honestly think they may fear a time when hunting can no longer handle population surges and are constantly looking for more ways to get more deer with fewer hunters regardless of what season. I'm thinking that a one buck rule would be met with the same lack of DEC enthusiasm as AR has been.......Just a theory based on DEC policy statements, proposals, and actions.

I'm not sure that I support crossbows in N.Y. for hunting

For those proven handicapped or disabled and who actually, can't physically draw a bow, I can go with it.

I'm an older guy so bear with me on this.

Once upon a time an archery season was created with the intention of a hunting season for the use of a primitive weapon.

Archery and shooting a bow require considerable hunting and shooting skills and you need to be close to your game and remaining undetected in your draw and hold to place a shot.

Deer and Turkeys pick up on movement very easily.

That's where the primitive aspect comes in and your are at a disadvantage and the game your pursuing has the edge.

I believe a crossbow has a distinct advantage over a bow.

Hunting with a crossbow requires no movement other then pulling the trigger and requires no holding of the bow weight and choosing when to draw and make a shot and remain undetected in motion.

I would consider a crossbow to simply be a gun shooting an arrow and not a primitive form of hunting.

I will agree that the crossbow is a weapon and primitive, but it was a huge improvement over shooting a bow.

Lets see, gun stock, cock it once and a trigger. Just stay still and I have all day to take a shot at prey at my convenience and all I move is a trigger?

THAT'S A HUGE ADVANTAGE!

In my opinion, a cross bow requires very little skill to shoot, just sight it in.

I've shot cross bows with ease. Much easier then shooting a bow!

Should they be legal to own, I think so. Should they be legal to hunt with in archery, hell no!

This is of course my opinion and I'll propablly have people respond that I'm a Leftist and a Communist liberal that should rot in hell.

My response ahead of time is that if you need a cross bow to hunt, your either lazy or can't shoot a bow worth a **** and your trying to take the easy way out.

Thanks for listening.

Edited by WNYBuckHunter
Inappropriate language
  • Like 4

I am of the opinion that the DEC is not interested in things that have to do with a smaller deer harvest (buck or doe). Any moves in the direction of restricting harvests only come as a result of severe political pressure, or severe deer mortality. Otherwise, everything that I have seen them push are items that make deer hunting more efficient at reducing population. I honestly think they may fear a time when hunting can no longer handle population surges and are constantly looking for more ways to get more deer with fewer hunters regardless of what season. I'm thinking that a one buck rule would be met with the same lack of DEC enthusiasm as AR has been.......Just a theory based on DEC policy statements, proposals, and actions.

I am of the same thought... population control is paramount at this point here in NY as far as the DEC is concerned... I think it is evident from the increased number of tags and lengthened seasons over the years giving hunters more opportunities to take deer. Even with that we are barely keeping up... taking away buck tags probably isn't in their the plans. 

For those proven handicapped or disabled and who actually, can't physically draw a bow, I can go with it.

Once upon a time an archery season was created with the intention of a hunting season for the use of a primitive weapon.

Archery and shooting a bow require considerable hunting and shooting skills and you need to be close to your game and remaining undetected in your draw and hold to place a shot.

That's where the primitive aspect comes in and your are at a disadvantage and the game your pursuing has the edge.

Hunting with a crossbow requires no movement other then pulling the trigger and requires no holding of the bow weight and choosing when to draw and make a shot and remain undetected in motion.

I would consider a crossbow to simply be a gun shooting an arrow and not a primitive form of hunting.

I will agree that the crossbow is a weapon and primitive, but it was a huge improvement over shooting a bow.

Lets see, gun stock, cock it once and a trigger. Just stay still and I have all day to take a shot at prey at my convenience and all I move is a trigger?

THAT'S A HUGE ADVANTAGE!

In my opinion, a cross bow requires very little skill to shoot, just sight it in.

Should they be legal to own, I think so. Should they be legal to hunt with in archery, hell no!

This is of course my opinion and I'll propablly have people respond that I'm a Leftist and a Communist liberal that should rot in hell.

My response ahead of time is that if you need a cross bow to hunt, your either lazy or can't shoot a bow worth a **** and your trying to take the easy way out.

Thanks for listening.

Couldn't agree more!!! Too bad you'll probably be called every name in the book by most on here for having/giving your honest opinion.

THAT'S A HUGE ADVANTAGE!

Thanks for listening.

For the same reasons rifles and shotguns can be used during gun season and not just a musket and ball is why compounds and xbows should be allowed to be used with recurves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

THAT'S A HUGE ADVANTAGE!

Thanks for listening.

John-

Here is the argument that you will get. The NYS bow season lost its "primitive" status when we all knuckled under and accepted the compound bow as a legitimate bow season weapon. I know that a compound is still basically a bow that involves the very same shooting disciplines and methods that even the ancient bows required. But the fact remains that things have gone exactly the way that the old-timers who argued against the compound put forth. It has served as the "missing link" that provides the precedent for the inclusion of just about anything. Those guys were right. I must admit that even though I argued vigorously against them, when they opposed the introduction of compounds, there was a new precedent set that now has morphed into the introduction of the crossbow. We can't deny it. The genie was let out of the bottle with the compound. It now is followed by the crossbow, and I believe that it is simply a matter of time before some version of muzzleloader will take place inside of bow season. That is what the youth rifle season timing was all about. It simply was a test case to show that archery equipment and firearms can coexist. So everything is flowing predictably in a direction to dilute a true bow season.

The fact is that the seasons that the bowhunters have carved out is constantly being jealously viewed by all hunters with all weapons. And the will of the hunters as a total group will rule. Those who think that certain qualities of challenge will be honored are simply not recognizing the fact that we are in the minority, and most hunters have no sympathy or respect for the notion that bow season was designed initially as a season of personal challenge. They all see that even bowhunters themselves are more and more involved in eliminating that challenge through technology, and they view the bow season as simply a waste of opportunity. It is truly just a matter of time before bow season will have very little to do with bows. The majority of hunters always prevail, and bowhunters are a true minority. So while it is great to keep up the good fight, it is also a cause that has the odds stacked impossibly against the bowhunter. The crossbow is a done deal, it is only a matter of time. At this point it is important to recognize defeat and try to heal up the rift that was thrust on us.

My response ahead of time is that if you need a cross bow to hunt, your either lazy or can't shoot a bow worth a**** and your trying to take the easy way out.

You say first that you are o.k. with handicapped or disabled using a crossbow if they physically can't draw a bow. But then you say that if you NEED a crossbow to hunt, your either lazy or can't shoot worth a**** and are trying to take the easy way out.  Well, I am disabled and have difficulty drawing a bow and I am not lazy OR trying take easy way out. I have modified archery permit and even the draw-loc is difficult and awkward to use. Your statements contradict each other.

THAT'S A HUGE ADVANTAGE!

g about

Thanks for listening.

Being tradional bowhunter... I would not trade my recurve or longbow for a crossbow during the archery season.  Never have I thought that anyone in the woods was at a huge advantage because they choose to hunt with a more modern weapon. Every weapon takes skill to master, saying that using one weapon over another makes a hunter lazy and taking the easy way out could be said about every weapon after the rock.

I have never felt at a disadvantage because I choose to carry a more primitive weapon. In fact, I wouldn't even know if the other hunters in the woods were using a crossbow, a compound or a trad bow for that matter. What difference would it make anyway? Should I be concerned about someone with a different weapon than me killing a deer? Is that the issue? I really would like to know why I'm suppose to be threatened by any other weapon being used to harvest a deer. Because they have an advantage? Is it because we are afraid that they have a better chance of hitting and killing a deer because they are using a "lazy hunter's" weapon? Is it because we don't want another hunter to take a deer that we might be able to kill instead? What is it? Somebody please tell me!! I thought the whole idea was to harvest whitetails... Maybe its because the success rate for hunters would increase from 30% to maybe 50%? God knows that would be horrible... more hunters enjoying success? We certainly wouldn't want that... Maybe there is a safety reason I should be worried about. Sorry but I'm just not getting it... and I hope I never do... I'm too concerned about enjoying what Joe is doing to be concerned with what weapon or how many more deer other hunters are killing than me... I am just glad that the others are out there hopefully doing the same... I would feel sorry for the guy that sits in his tree stand worrying that someone else might possibly be in the woods somewhere with a crossbow and could maybe have a successful hunt with that crossbow... and more sorry for the guy that thinks more about what others are doing than enjoying his own experience.

• Like 2

Being tradional bowhunter... I would not trade my recurve or longbow for a crossbow during the archery season.  Never have I thought that anyone in the woods was at a huge advantage because they choose to hunt with a more modern weapon. Every weapon takes skill to master, saying that using one weapon over another makes a hunter lazy and taking the easy way out could be said about every weapon after the rock.

I have never felt at a disadvantage because I choose to carry a more primitive weapon. In fact, I wouldn't even know if the other hunters in the woods were using a crossbow, a compound or a trad bow for that matter. What difference would it make anyway? Should I be concerned about someone with a different weapon than me killing a deer? Is that the issue? I really would like to know why I'm suppose to be threatened by any other weapon being used to harvest a deer. Because they have an advantage? Is it because we are afraid that they have a better chance of hitting and killing a deer because they are using a "lazy hunter's" weapon? Is it because we don't want another hunter to take a deer that we might be able to kill instead? What is it? Somebody please tell me!! I thought the whole idea was to harvest whitetails... Maybe its because the success rate for hunters would increase from 30% to maybe 50%? God knows that would be horrible... more hunters enjoying success? We certainly wouldn't want that... Maybe there is a safety reason I should be worried about. Sorry but I'm just not getting it... and I hope I never do... I'm too concerned about enjoying what Joe is doing to be concerned with what weapon or how many more deer other hunters are killing than me... I am just glad that the others are out there hopefully doing the same... I would feel sorry for the guy that sits in his tree stand worrying that someone else might possibly be in the woods somewhere with a crossbow and could maybe have a successful hunt with that crossbow... and more sorry for the guy that thinks more about what others are doing than enjoying his own experience.

Oh come on Joe, none of that logical stuff that makes sense when it comes to crossbows. You should know better. B)

You say first that you are o.k. with handicapped or disabled using a crossbow if they physically can't draw a bow. But then you say that if you NEED a crossbow to hunt, your either lazy or can't shoot worth a**** and are trying to take the easy way out.  Well, I am disabled and have difficulty drawing a bow and I am not lazy OR trying take easy way out. I have modified archery permit and even the draw-loc is difficult and awkward to use. Your statements contradict each other.

I think it was obvious he was not refering to handicapped as not being lazy... and I will add my .02. It's not that all crossbow hunters are lazy. In fact, I bet the majority will be great hunters and follow the written and unwritten rules just fine. It's the fear that there will certainly be some that will treat bow season like gun season. This will mostly hurt hunters with small parcels and heavy surrounding pressure and those that hunt public land. It all remains to be seen. But we constantly get asked what we're all worried about and that's it. That my peaceful archery season where it's 100x harder to kill a nice buck (not just any deer, but a nice buck) might be spoiled by a guy walking through the woods with an xbow and a cig sticking out the corner of my mouth. That has personally happened to me on posted private land more than once in my 15 years of hunting during gun... but never during archery.

• Like 1

I think it was obvious he was not refering to handicapped as not being lazy... and I will add my .02. It's not that all crossbow hunters are lazy. In fact, I bet the majority will be great hunters and follow the written and unwritten rules just fine. It's the fear that there will certainly be some that will treat bow season like gun season. This will mostly hurt hunters with small parcels and heavy surrounding pressure and those that hunt public land. It all remains to be seen. But we constantly get asked what we're all worried about and that's it. That my peaceful archery season where it's 100x harder to kill a nice buck (not just any deer, but a nice buck) might be spoiled by a guy walking through the woods with an xbow and a cig sticking out the corner of my mouth. That has personally happened to me on posted private land more than once in my 15 years of hunting during gun... but never during archery.

This is it in a nutshell. Guys who have private land with restricted access may not even notice a difference but you can tell me that on small parcels and public land you wont see a noticeable difference in the amount of pressure during Archery season. Pressure isn't just a guy sitting in a stand with a X Bow near you, its also everything else that goes on with a sudden influx of hunters into the woods. This has absolutely nothing to do with someone else shooting "my" deer in my eyes. Heck, I let friends and family sit in my stands all the time and would be happier than a pig in crap if one of them were to shoot a whopper out of my stand. This is all about Archery season turning more like gun season when X Bows are allowed, and I cant stand gun season. Also, if X bows are archery equipment, how come there isn't a crossbow division in the ASA and IBO shoots? I respect everyones opinion on X Bows but I think the majority of guys that don't have a problem with them are the ones who will use them themselves and those who wont see any effect pressure wise because they are hunting rater large chunks of private land.

• Like 1