Anyone like 45-70 govt?

I've only bow hunted deer thus far in my short hunting career and this year I would like to also go at em with rifle.  I don't know why but I have a real interest in the Marlin 1895 and the 45-70 round in general.  Just looking for the opinion of those much more experienced than I am on both that rifle and round.

I love it! i've owned and shot an 1885 for 15 years now (originally got it for bear hunting but it is quite a deer slayer) its basically a large bore, repeating muzzloader...lol. It is a very good all around 200 -250 yard gun. at 300 yards the bullet is in the ground when fired horzontal at 4 ft. most of the guys at camp have switched to a 30-30 or 45-70 from their 308,30-06, 300 win mags,and 7mm as most our shots are 100 yards and under. It is a great gun for ranges you expect to have in ny at game. short light weight and accurate. If you can find an original marlin buy it!! the rem-lins do not have as strong as reciever. you can really get the top performance out of the gun with handloads. I am also impressed with the leverevolution ammo by hornandy. you will not be disappointed!

Edited by G-Man

I have never owned one, but I have lusted after a Marlin Guide Gun with the ghost ring peep.

The Henrys  are nice, too, but I don't care for the way they load. They load through the tubular magazine like a .22 tube feed rifle.

Seems like the traditional side gate loading port (as on the Marlin or Winchester) would be more convenient.

Single shots are cool also..A friend of mine has a Remington Rolling Block in 45/70 that I have enjoyed shooting.

The Sharps repros are  also rate high on the cool scale, especially with tang mounted peep sights.

AND as a devoted fan of western movies, I have always wanted an 1873 Springfield trapdoor carbine, which was the mainstay of the US Cavalry during the Indian Wars.

• Like 2

I thought about the Marlin Guide Gun as well.  Figured it was fun to shoot.  But then I realize as a plinking gun, the cost of ammo and the recoil just wasn't worth it so I went with a Henry in 22LR.  Really fun to shoot but I agree with Pygmy.  I don't understand the tube feed from the top.  That means every time I reload, my fingers are in front of the muzzle with is counter-intuitive to proper gun safety.

Might want to look into a 30-30 as well.  Don't really need much more than that to take any big game NY not named Bullwrinkle.

Edited by Elmo

I don't have a Henry but I have a tube fed Marlin 22. Seems pretty simple to do safely. I lock my bolt back even if it isn't fully empty and load it. with this I would think that opening the action would allow for a very safe reload. If you don't trust yourself or aren't confident in safely operating a weapon, I suggest not buying it.

T/C contender in 45-70. Bambi candy. Not a lot of fun at the range, but I think the muzzle blast alone killed a doe at close range a few years back. Might have taken out a couple of small birds in the tree above me as well. Don't shoot one sitting under a pine tree loaded with cones. Wish I hadn't sold that barrel.

I don't have a Henry but I have a tube fed Marlin 22. Seems pretty simple to do safely. I lock my bolt back even if it isn't fully empty and load it. with this I would think that opening the action would allow for a very safe reload. If you don't trust yourself or aren't confident in safely operating a weapon, I suggest not buying it.

I don't have a problem with it and enjoy shooting it.  I trust myself around it.  I'm just saying the design isn't conducive to teaching gun safety...particularly when trying to teach children.

As is usual with military ammunitions, the .45-70 was an immediate hit among sportsmen as well, and the .45-70 has survived to the present day. Today, the traditional 405 grain (26.2 g) load is considered adequate for any North American big game within its range limitations, including the great bears, and it does not destroy edible meat on smaller animals such as deer due to the bullet's low velocity. It is very good for big game hunting in brush or heavy timber where the range is usually short. The .45-70, when loaded with the proper bullets at appropriate velocities, has been used to hunt the African "Big-5"[citation needed]. The .45-70 has been loaded and used to harvest everything from birds to elephant[citation needed] and the cartridge is still undergoing new development work well over a century after its introduction.

The 45-70 has significant recoil. It isn't a rifle for target shooting- other than sighting in, of course. Varying loads also have a big affect on the shoulder. It is possible to load up to the equivalent of .458 magnum energies. I keep recoil down somewhat handloading a 350 grain Hornady RN, which has been very effective (4 shots, 4 kills) on bear. I also shoot it out of a Browning 1885, which is a relatively heavy gun. I have read many times that it can be brutal out of the Marlin lever actions, as theyare relatively short barreled and much lighter. I love the round, but it does have limitations. It takes extensive practice to get proficient at the longer ranges (100 yards, for this gun) Plenty of killing power, but the trajectory is like a rainbow. It is a great round for someone who has the time to spend with it, but I would tend to steer it away from someone for an all around shoot a lot gun.

I've never shot a 45-70, only shot a 30-30 a couple times.   

Lever actions never did anything for me but someday they might.............................I do get it though, cool guns as they are, they just never tripped my trigger.

Had a pump action Remington 760 in a left hand version from the factory for a handful of years but swapped it out for a much superior gun, a bolt action 700, 270 Winchester. B)

Now if you wanna talk cool guns, lets talk single shots.  About ten years ago I acquired a Ruger No 1 International in 30-06.  It had a 4x Leopold on it and I bought it for the scope.  I paid 600 and sold it for 600 so the scope was a deal..........Damn I'd love to get that gun back and I will try.  I sold it to a friend who hasn't touched it and NEVER will.   Hmm, when he gets back from his vacation I'll message him a bit.

Talk about a derailment fro the original topic.........sorry. :fie:  

recoil is a facor of the weight of the gun. as for the round itself if you have ever shot a 50cal muzzloader with 100 grain of powder you have shot a heavier round than a 45-70. the 70 is grains of powder. it came in many more forms in a sharps rifle such as a 45-90 and a 45-120. cartriage.my 1885 guide gun doesnt bother me in the least and i shoot it a lot, 20 to 40 round 3x4 times a year. i do not think it kicks as hard as my 30-06 . and is easier to shoot than my friends tc encore with 150 grains of power in 50 cal. .

Lawdwaz....You bought a Ruger #1 for the 4X Leupold that was on it ?

You are indeed my HERO....I'm touched...<<sniffle, sniffle>>...

I....I......I   LOVE you, MAN !!!! <<big HUG !!>>.....

Gay............................................................... :biggrin:

The gun was sweet, damn it anyways. :angry:

The scope sits on my Ruger 10/22 International, of all things.  Classy as all get out..........................................(like me!)