Kids first shotgun

My babygirl is 12 and will be heading to the field with me this year. I want to get her a little 20 ga. to get her started. I'm presently looking hard at the Mossberg Bantam. But I don't want to miss any possible choices. I was wondering, what are you other dad's buying for your kids first shotgun?

She wants to hunt turkeys this spring and all sorts of small game this fall.

I started my son out with a Rossi .410 single shot but he out grew it very fast and went right into  shooting one of my 12's. But all kids are different.

The Mossberg Bantam or super Bantam 20ga  is a great shotgun and is more than  capable of taking spring Toms.

Good luck

My Dad started my brother and I with our own 20 gauge NEF single shot shotguns. They are real cheap (100 bucks then, probably 250 or so now)Once we got our first deer, we were allowed to move on to larger/repeating guns.  The thinking was its easier to keep track of one shell in the gun and a hammer safety, than it was to manage several and a smaller safety.  Worked out well

This is what I did and strongly suggest it, as it may save you money buying another gun down the road.......I bought my daughter an adult sized 870 20 gauge, and bought a youth stock to put on it............after she outgrew the youth stock, I put the adult stock back on, problem solved and money saved.

I got my kids a H&R single shot youth 20 gauge when they were 12... very inexpensive ( $100 new ) and they learned to make one shot count... they killed a lot of turkeys with that gun... when they outgrew it I passed it on to a friend who's son turned 12 and told him to do the same when his son outgrew it. pay it forward!!

don't have kids yet but I got a Mossberg 500 20ga for my first.  I still use it.  Heck this year at the annual hunting party I cleared clay pigeon doubles out of the sky, despite being on a line full of semi-auto 12ga shooters.  What was I using?  That "kid gun" 500 20ga. lol  they're much more modular now than they used to be too.  lots of accessories to keep up with her growth.  after a while of shooting with (or against) her you need some of that wine after. lol  for turkeys, Remington Wingmaster HD 3" #4s shot good out of mine with a standard flush full choke that came with it too.