The deer were out today

fasteddie

I went to Geneseo to see one of my sisters , a HS classmate and check 3 Trail Cams . Just East of the village I saw 15 deer in a field , another 13 deer on the corner of Lakeville Groveland and Long Point Road and the clumps of 5 - 6 deer in other fields . All that I saw were in harvested corn fields . I saw over 50 deer . It was great to see so many !

Ya, last Saturday I saw a TON of deer from Amherst to Canadice, all feeding in fields of some sort.  One field (that I hunt!!) had 40 deer in it around 2:00pm.  I though FOR SURE there would be a dozen or more sheds in that field...............................not a single shed.  I couldn't believe it.

They really can pack it in when the weather turns for the better, smart critters ain't they?!?!

• Like 1

About an hour ago I barely stopped in time for a few crossing the road in front of my truck. As I sat there I could make out 8 or 10 feeding in the field. I have been seeing them almost every evening and during the day I can see where they are digging the hell out of the fields. 

We got very close to 50 degrees yesterday, and it seemed like the deer were really loving it. Six at our place and another 12 stopped us on the way to town when they were crossing the road. They all looked in very good rig. Meanwhile, the body count along our local roads continues to mount. It really looks like the population is still very high. I know that here in 8N the number of permits was obscene, but it still doesn't seem to make much difference. I wonder if maybe they have finally reached a point where they are issuing more permits than hunters are willing to fill or capable of filling.

I've seen some fields with 30 deer in them around Geneseo and over by me. It's good to see the numbers.

I have no problems with lots of deer to hunt. But some of the places where there is still a pile of deer left, are places where the DEC has made a concerted effort with crazy amounts of antlerless permits being issued, to wack on the populations. I know that here in 8N that is the case. I am not complaining. It sure is nice to be guaranteed 2 permits (and even more) while having deer running all over the place. And so far no indications of habitat destruction or negative effects on the herd. Kind of a win-win situation .... eh? But it does raise one big question.

My question is, "Is the permit system still viable in controlling the herds"? Are the hunters still doing their job? If they are, why do we continue to see more and more deer in spite of the fact that they seem to be opening the floodgates on permit numbers. If hunters are not doing their job ..... Why not? Is the system still working?

There have been deer out at all hours and all places for the past two weeks....probably trying to replace lost weight/energy from this eternal winter

As for the permit system...the flaws lie in determinations with population census and hunter take. The DEC is just guessing or using limited data for large conclusion. This state varies so much. heck, even areas vary annually. 

yes it is good to see deer out and about and yes it does make a person wonder why so many permits are issued but numbers(deer) still seem high. i can only speak for myself but last season between myself and the other three men that i hunt with we had no less then 12 permits. of those only 2 where able to be filled. the problem that we encountered was there where plenty of deer to shoot at however all where on property that is posted. in my honest opinion the state should do MORE to educate homeowners about deer populations and the purpose that hunters serve. i know this is just a pipe dream but hunters can only do so much with what they have to work with.

• Like 2

I was talking to an old classmate on Long Point Road in Geneseo . She said they use to see several deer on their property during hunting season . But since the neighbor across the road doesn't allow hunting there any more , she hardly ever sees any deer on their property . Apparently the hunters would spook the deer and they would move across the road .

yes it is good to see deer out and about and yes it does make a person wonder why so many permits are issued but numbers(deer) still seem high. i can only speak for myself but last season between myself and the other three men that i hunt with we had no less then 12 permits. of those only 2 where able to be filled. the problem that we encountered was there where plenty of deer to shoot at however all where on property that is posted. in my honest opinion the state should do MORE to educate homeowners about deer populations and the purpose that hunters serve. i know this is just a pipe dream but hunters can only do so much with what they have to work with.

Yep, the animal lovers would rather see deer starve in the winter because theres too many of them and not enough food rather than let you hunt them. Not to mention all the ones getting hit by cars too. I see this happening where I live. All these deer behind my house are starving because nobody lets you hunt around here. I did find it ironic this summer when my daughters boyfriend hit a deer down the street from my house right in front of one of the people who don't let anyone hunt. The cop came out and shot the deer and left it in the ditch right in front of the anti's house. That's what happens when no hunting is allowed.