My son and I want to start hunting.

PeteM1965

HI All

My son, 14, and I want to go deer hunting with rifles. We live in Westchester County so we know we will have to travel some. We have taken our safety courses, but neither of us have ever hunted big game before. We have rifles, but no place to hunt. Should we: go on a guided hunt? Try to find a hunting club? As it would be our first time I would want to go with somebody who can show us the ins and outs.

Thanks

Peter

Your best bet would be to tag along with someone who hunts. Do you know anyone who hunts? If not, this could be pretty tough as most hunters don't want to show their spots to strangers. Maybe you could find a hunting club to join if you don't know anyone who hunts and is willing to show you the basics.

I'd second trying to find a friend who hunts. I would say 95% of hunters would be happy to take a friend and his son out for their first hunt. This will dramatically decrease the time of the learning curve, and hopefully raise your chances of seeing some action. 

Goodluck and welcome to the brotherhood

Congrats to both of you wanting to join the hunting community. I'm on the other side of the state otherwise I'd be interested in helping you land a spot to hunt.

As noted, many many hunters would (or should) be interested in helping you two get out for your first few times. There probably isn't a more rewarding aspect to hunting than to help someone new join the sport.

Hopefully someone downstate on this forum steps up to help you out. I wish you the best of luck.

You might consider getting your own lease and then inviting an experienced hunter to join you.  The reason I suggest this route is that it is not always easy to find someone who will bring new hunters to their spot.  If you have your own, you might be more able to find an experienced hunter who's looking for a place to hunt.

Also - look up the youth hunt. I believe your son would qualify.

Look up local QDMA chapters - Quality Deer Management Association. See if they have any openings for youths for the youth hunt. Many chapters will offer up a few slots for the youth to get out and hunt (you can accompany him). It is held in October, so it is good weather and a good time for a first hunt.

I know the local one here in Rochester offers it. If you were willing to travel, you could probably reach out to them. There's several board members on this site from that chapter. Arguably, some of the better hunting in the state in this area, too.

You might consider getting your own lease and then inviting an experienced hunter to join you.  The reason I suggest this route is that it is not always easy to find someone who will bring new hunters to their spot.  If you have your own, you might be more able to find an experienced hunter who's looking for a place to hunt.

You may experience this, but chances are, there's someone willing to show the ropes without the fear of land mongering if you ask around.

Welcome aboard!  Clubs are great if you want a little more privacy usually someone in the club is willing to give out free information.  A guided hunt is great if you are just looking to get some experience and some knowledge.  Public land hunting in NY can get a little crowded unless you head to the Northern Zone. 

NYS DEC web site has many options for public land, just make sure the area you hunt allows rifles. 

Have you hunted any small game? Hunting is not for everyone. You should start small to see if it's something you like. Start small with gear too. You can invest a small fortune in "nice it have" gear and camo that you don't need. Like golf, don't go out and buy some Taylor made clubs until you know it's your thing.

Welcome to the fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you find a area to hunt send me a message if you want someone to help you scout the area before the season to set up a game plan.  One of the biggest keys to success in deer hunting is scouting the area before you hunt it, IF possible.  

Send a PM if you are interested maybe we can meet at a rifle range to go over the basics, safety is one of my big concerns.  Hunting deer since 1988 and more than willing to share.

I my opinion you and your son would derive more satisfaction from self learning on public land.

Not to be condescending, but do you in fact mean rifles opposed to shotguns? I am a little confused as to why you bought rifles if you live in Westchester? Perhaps pick up a couple used 12 gauge single shots and hunt closer to home? If you hunt in the greater NYC area, however, I suspect you will deal with many hunters on public land. Dilemma I guess...

Good choice starting with big game hunting. Small game hunting is more equipment intensive and you really need a dog as well - something you must care for 365 days a year.. With deer, all you need is a gun, a box of ammo, some orange clothing, a knife, and your license.

If you do pick up a couple 12 gauges you might also get in on May turkey hunting. (Rifles are not legal for turkey hunting in NY) Spring turkey hunting is also a popular season and public lands can be crowded during this season as well. Additional equipment would be camo hunting clothes instead of orange, a turkey call, and something to keep the bugs off you. I caution you to check the regulations about turkey hunting on long island however, I believe only youth hunting for turkeys is allowed on LI, so your son can hunt but you cant. I don't know if this restriction is still on the books or even if it is true, I am not from the area.

Good luck, hope this helps!

Edited by mike rossi

Closest rifle county to you is Orange, across the river. Look into Sterling Forest and some DEP properties that may allow hunting with rifles for deer.

Like others have stated, make sure you are capable at the range before hitting the woods looking to hit a live target.

If you are new to guns as well, I'd be glad to show you at the range in Blue Mountain.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

Westchester = Bow Only

Putnam and other closer counties are Shotgun only.

Bow and shotgun are 2 options that would shorten your commute to hunting lands. Have you and your son taken the hunter's safety course? that's step 1.

Unlike a lot of people here, I learned a lot from hunting shows. Look up Deer and Deer Hunting and watch their videos...you can learn an amazing amount from those guys. Start walking the parks in Westchester during the fall to get more familiar with their behaviors. Listen to the guys here because they also know what they are talking about. Glad to have you on the forum!

I think those shows, with no real life experience to counteract them, would give a brand new hunter a complete misrepresentation of what real hunting in NYS is really like.

If you want to learn a particular skill (how to grunt, how to field dress, how to call in turkey, etc) go to You Tube.  

Which reminds me:

Watch several videos on field dressing a deer.  The last thing you should want is to shoot an animal and then have it go to waste because you have no idea what you are doing after the shot.  Also, if you don't plan on processing it yourself, have a place picked out and know that they are open on the days you are hunting.  The quicker that deer gets skinned and cooled off, the better it will taste.

Edited by Sogaard

Wow, you guys are great. I'll try to answer/comment all your questions:  I have some experience bird hunting, upland and duck with an out of state friend, and rabbits with my grandfather 35 years ago. My son has none but is very eager to learn.

As for familiarity with guns, my son, having just started trap and skeet shooting with me, does quite well with his vintage Model 12 (high teens trap, low teens skeet). We are very comfortable around guns and are very safety conscious. My son has never shot a large bore rifle, but is competant with a .22. To answer the why rifles question: we happen to have 2 suitable rifles (a .270 Winchester and an 8mm) but only 1 suitable shotgun (the Model 12). I have one other shotgun, an O/U Beretta which might be good for turkey but I don't think it's appropriate for deer. It would not be a problem to buy another shotgun.

We will definitely be checking out videos.

Thanks for your help so far.

Peter

I would also consider going out for Spring turkey.  Personally,  Spring turkey is one of my favorite hunts, and I have shot a couple of birds on public land not too far from you (Stewart State Forest in OC).  Go to You Tube to learn how to call, that's what I did.  Order a couple different types of calls, get a blind and dress in black so you don't have to spend a ton on camo for you and your son.

Also, you can only hunt till noon, so the young ones don't get as impatient as with a full days sit during deer season.

All good ideas from everybody....so do what they said...now get in the woods!!! Take excursions into the wilds, walking and sitting attempting to improve your skills when it's not hunting season . Bounce around to various state parks to have different terrain and areas . Push yourself walking further and sitting longer getting comfortable and able to "slip" around in the woods is what you need to build. Being a good woodsman will benefit you when the time comes more than anything in my mind, other than making sure there is the desired game actually on or frequently on the property your hunting.

It is a lengthy process as in yrs but if the hunting bug sticks then you could be addicted and loving it .

• Like 1

I my opinion you and your son would derive more satisfaction from self learning on public land.

To a point. Sometimes harder to hill higher pressured deer can make it frustrating.

Kill some doe and don't worry about horns. 95% of shows on tv are not representative, but d&dh is one of the more educational, if not a little advanced for the beginner. Your best bet is a friend or relative, but not required. I was taught to deer hunt by family and self taught myself turkey. It's almost more satisfying to self teach (forums, videos, magazines) but your success rate may be slower.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

A little note on safety.  I recommend using some Bright Orange as deer do not see this color and it makes you both easy for humans to see and identify. 

Identify your prey and place your shot!

Map and compass are your best friends, use them often.  A GPS is well worth the investment IF you learn how to use it properly but always have a waterproof map and 2 compasses.

Always charge your phones before entering the woods, if in a area with out cell service use radios to communicate.  Good flashlights are a must but make sure you unload when leaving in the dark or you could get a ticket for using a light to hunt.

• Like 1