Posted

Paula

You can tell when a New guy buys some property. The posted signs are 10 feet apart..   Kind of trashes up the wilderness. Common sense is the best way to post your property.

Seems like some people cant see them if there 5 ft apart still walk right past them. If i had enough of them i would put them on every tree. GET THE MESSAGE. Cant give me some BS argument that you didn't see them. Come on people just ask, is it that hard.

Anybody put their phone number on the signs. I can see the benefit if someone wants to reach you (deer recovery, etc.), but I don't like plastering my number everywhere.

I got my number on mine...no excuse for not contacting me prior to entering the property for any reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phone numbers do leave things open for telephone harassment from hunters that are disgruntled about "their" old hunting lands being posted up. I'm not sure I want to open myself up for that kind of abuse. The same guys that currently shoot posted signs to pieces just for spite, would likely not hesitate to mount a campaign of harassment if they had your phone number available.

Plus, anyone claiming to be in pursuit of a wounded deer needs to see me in person so that I can accompany them and offer assistance in the blood-trailing activity. It's not that I don't trust everybody who has ever used that story to gain access, but frankly I don't. And I want them to know that I expect to be shown the blood trail. That can't be done over the phone.

A guy was advertising the Plastic See Through posted signs at the DEC Sportsmen's Weekend in Eat Avon a few years ago . He was giving out some 3"X3" samples . I will see if I can find one as it has his address on it .

I would think that they would become brittle and break in a couple years .

• Like 1

i wish nys was like ohio, no posting nessary but have to have written permission to hunt all private lands.

That would definitely simplify things a great deal as well as save landowners a lot o expense, time and effort.

• Like 1

Just ordered 100 aluminum in yellow from Voss Signs with name/address with tax, ship for $119 TMD.

I can tell you that that exact set-up (manufacturer, color and all) is what I bought more than 30 years ago. The yellow has darkened very slightly, but other than that they look exactly the same as when I bought them. They'll certainly last as long as I do so it is probably a purchase that will be a great buy for you. I have a rather nasty border. The back line is at the bottom of a 200' deep ravine with very steep rock walls. It makes this posting job something you only want to do once. You won't regret going with metal. Back it up with a good board and it will be the last time you have to worry about posting.

Most durable option is to order aluminum signs from Voss sign. They go on sale for $100 per 100. Mine have been up for a decade and still look new. If you are lucky you will get a year or two out of paper/4-5yr out of plastic. Once I changed to metal I will never change back. Do it once and be done

I have the same ones. They are great. Just suggest good nails. I think I did galvanized.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Leaving the nails not fully nailed down is essential on trees that are still growing. Otherwise the nails will be pulled right through the sign and the backer board as the diameter of the tree increases. I've had that happen.

The most durable way to only have to do this job once, is to use a plywood backer board (pressure treated plywood would be ideal). Nail the sign securely to the board with galvanized shingle nails. Never mind that the points of the nails stick out the back of the board. Then nail the sign/board assembly to mature trees along your property line with 3" or longer regular nails leaving about a 1/2" sticking out to allow for tree growth. That is the combination that has left my posted line looking like it had just been put up after all these decades.

I don't buy the "visual pollution" argument .... lol. Posted signs are intended to convey a message. In most cases more is better. It really is limited only by the amount of cash the landowner has to spend. Nothing says, "I really mean it" like a posted line that is over-posted. If someone wants to add emphasis by using extra signs, I fully understand and sympathize with them. There are some places where people make of habit of working up bogus arguments about how they didn't see the signs,

I agree doc. I hate hearing the same BS "i didn't see any signs" argument. I have mine set about 75 ft appart.