Great News

Tinlodge

This is my only concern with the new regs. I love the peace and quiet during bow season. I just hope that doesn't change. It will be a real shame if the best 2 weeks of bow season start to resemble gun season more than bow. I don't have the luxury to hunt hundreds of acres of private land. I'll give my thoughts on the crossbow season after this fall.

I don't expect to see that much effect in the first year or two. After all it took almost 30 years in Ohio before the crossbow usage and harvest overtook the regular bows. So I think (I hope) we have a few years before the growth in bowhunting hunter density gets to be obvious.

I don't expect to see that much effect in the first year or two. After all it took almost 30 years in Ohio before the crossbow usage and harvest overtook the regular bows. So I think (I hope) we have a few years before the growth in bowhunting hunter density gets to be obvious.

Those 30 years were also before the internet, forums, online shopping that drop xbows on your door, and increased competition for hunting access. The rate of change is exponentially faster now.

30 years in that situation is more like 2-3 now.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

I dont believe that will hold water here in Ny..Ohio is a trophy state. They know what they have and i believe hunt smart.  We are a brown and down state and if this gives the guy that always gun hunted a chance in the woods early and with the green light to kill any other deer, they will be lined up to join the masses.

I dont believe that will hold water here in Ny..Ohio is a trophy state. They know what they have and i believe hunt smart.  We are a brown and down state and if this gives the guy that always gun hunted a chance in the woods early and with the green light to kill any other deer, they will be lined up to join the masses.

You can also only kill one buck in Ohio. Now the gun hunters can kill a second in NY.

With all due respect... it is not understandable to want public woods to yourself.. that's why it's called public... there should always be a certain expectation that you may encounter undesirable situations when hunting public lands. Especially smaller parcels. Selfishness is not a good argument, especially when there is no evidence that there will be less opportunity anywhere or the huge influx of new hunters that you suggest.

I don't think I have said this before but I believe that the real reason there was such a push back against crossbows at all was because of NY Bowhunters and there selfish vendetta against them. The buzz they started put a bug in the ear of a lot of other bowhunters that jumped on board gumming up the works for introducing crossbows into NY hunting. Not just trying to keep them out of bow season, but out of NY all together. This single issue consumed the club. I was a proud member years ago until I witnessed things by club officials that I won't mention here that soured me on the clubs real intentions... the crossbow issue was the end of the club for me.

I think your mincing my words. If you COULD choose to have the whole woods to yourself, 99% would say yes. However, we know this isn't the case so we accept it. Any bowhunter who has been hunting the same spot for decades may feel a change this year and my point is that it's understandable to be frustrated. Nobody likes change. Especially when it's detrimental.

As for NYB. You must never have been to another state's hunting website. There is a NYB for almost all other states that fought it at one point or another.

Yeah I'm sure the public lands will be overrun with crossbow hunters... and so what if they are... there was a time not long ago when there were twice as many hunters in the woods as there are today and everything was just fine... for those that feel crowded move farther than a few hundred yards off the road or I know of 6 million acres of state land that doesn't get hunted near enough where you can hunt. I've been hunting public land for nearly 40 years and rarely see another hunter in the woods. There is this big push to get more people involved in hunting in NY.. well, there ya go... now we'll have more... what's all the belly aching about?

and at that time I'd bet if we researched the amount of land that is now full of walmarts, subdivisions and strip malls was land for deer. That the number of farms was perhaps double what it is now.

Edited by Belo

I agree. Except you and 99% of other compound hunters never hunt from the ground, so the true comparison is irrelevant. I can probably count on 1 hand the amount of compound kills on the site that were done on the ground with no blind. Bowhunters outside of NY laugh at the fact that guys need to sit in trees to kill animals Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says the guy who's affraid to climb a tree. NY must be the only state where they hunt from stands... I mean I've never seen anybody on tv hunt from one.

I know you're in love with the western style of hunting... because they have no trees. So I'll let it go. But don't forget those are the same guys shooting animals at 800 yards with their high power scopes.

I'll be honest about my feelings regarding hunter density. The story is two part. When it comes to gun hunting, I want as many guys out there as possible. My success generally is dependent on hunters, on their feet making deer travel escape routes which my years of experience have helped me locate. That is a deadly combination of pressure and ambush. It works well in gun season because while escape corridors can be way too wide for bowhunting, I have found several pinch points that confine their travel to very good gun range. During gun season, you will often here me whining about the lack of hunters and hunter movement. So far, I have never seen a gun season where I felt there was "too much" pressure.

Bow season has always been a whole different kind of thing. Because of the nature of the bow, I cannot have deer running around totally spooked  and ignoring all the patterns that I have carefully learned during my scouting activities.

You said all I would have said and more. Fair or not, it's also how I feel and have always felt that both seasons offered each experience and a hunter could enjoy their style or both. Now... are we blurring the lines?

I am so sick of every thread always turing into the exact same thing...doc opining and belo and biz hating away. Does anyone care to share any constructive and productive information on bow selection, jerky, DIY backstops, deer processing without it turning into doc repeating paragraphs about the sky falling and biz telling everyone they aren't a real hunter with fancy enough shit. it would just be great to stay on topic and maybe try an occasional thread that transmits positive and constructive info on hunting, not the same drek day in and out. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thread titles were invented so you could avoid a thread clearly dedicated to a topic some feel passionate about. If Burm were to run a report I bet this site has seen more traffic the last few days then the last few months combined.

thread titles were invented so you could avoid a thread clearly dedicated to a topic some feel passionate about. If Burm were to run a report I bet this site has seen more traffic the last few days then the last few months combined.

I just checked, its been flat the last 4 months :)

They have had this in nj for last year or so and it's really not that big of a deal. All it really does it get more people into the sport and let's people hunt that couldn't pull a bow back because of injury or disability. From what I noticed most of the people using the crossbow are people that hunted with a compound before crossbow was legal.