It's Official!!

tughillmcd

Show me one post where I said I was against Crossbows. Reading comprehension must not be your strong suit. You fit right in with 80% of the guys here. I stated that thanking the Gov for allowing crossbows was ridiculous and also stated something to the effect of the Governor trying to buy gun owner votes by allowing crossbow use. I never said I'm against them. I have concerns but I'm taking the wait and see what happens approach.

I wasn't even talking to you in the first place.. how did you get involved in this? But since you are now... you were the one who said something about guys like me acting a certain way to those that have a different opinion... so if you say you have a different opinion then that must be you're against crossbows, because I'm okay with them. But that really isn't even what your post was responding to... it was butting in on a question that wasn't asked to you... your reading comprehension is so good you don't even know when you're reading something directed at you... got your panties all in a bunch for nothing really.

Edited by nyantler

I wasn't even talking to you in the first place.. how did you get involved in this? But since you are now... you were the one who said something about guys like me acting a certain way to those that have a different opinion... so if you say you have a different opinion then that must be you're against crossbows, because I'm okay with them. But that really isn't even what your post was responding to... it was butting in on a question that wasn't asked to you... your reading comprehension is so good you don't even know when you're reading something directed at you... got your panties all in a bunch for nothing really.

If you weren't talking to me, why did you quote my post? Backpedaling a little? And I'm correct about guys like you berating someone who has a different opinion. You have a different opinion than my brother and you jumped all over him with your BS instead of just acting like an adult and agree to disagree. For a guy that has a website that runs off others success, you sure are an opinionated SOB! Heres a thought.....try accomplishing something on your own.

• Like 1

Your definition of an Adult is just agreeing to disagree? Adults can't disagree or even get into a heated or passionate debate? Let me go out on a limb her and guess you are under 30

Most of the adults I associate with can. It just seems to be a recurring theme on this site. I've never seen so many so called adults that like to argue or get their little jabs in at you if you don't agree with them. I feel bad for the future of hunting in NY.

If you weren't talking to me, why did you quote my post? Backpedaling a little? And I'm correct about guys like you berating someone who has a different opinion. You have a different opinion than my brother and you jumped all over him with your BS instead of just acting like an adult and agree to disagree. For a guy that has a website that runs off others success, you sure are an opinionated SOB! Heres a thought.....try accomplishing something on your own.

Show me the post where I jumped on your brother... I asked him a question... which he didn't answer and you did with a childish response... you didn't need to even get in a conversation with me. So I believe that is where I got your post to quote saying I had a difference of opinion than others which I assumed meant you and your brother... your anger is what got the best of you here not me... but you did the usual thing guys do when I touch a nerve.. attack my website...lol... yes I am opinionated just like the rest of the people who post here... if opinions bother you then it's probably time to take your ball and go home... or maybe just mind your own business when nobody is talking to you.

Show me the post where I jumped on your brother... I asked him a question... which he didn't answer and you did with a childish response... you didn't need to even get in a conversation with me. So I believe that is where I got your post to quote saying I had a difference of opinion than others which I assumed meant you and your brother... your anger is what got the best of you here not me... but you did the usual thing guys do when I touch a nerve.. attack my website...lol... yes I am opinionated just like the rest of the people who post here... if opinions bother you then it's probably time to take your ball and go home... or maybe just mind your own business when nobody is talking to you.

LOL!

if they're too heavy, the state will cater to you and you can get can get a special handicapped permit to allow you to gun hunt during archery. Obamanation!

Nope, not too heavy. Just offering an opinion. I hope to continue using my compound bow  for as long as I can. No need for special handicapped status. Whenever you want to shoot a friendly competition, let me know...May be good for you to get away from your computer for a bit.

Good news.

Anyone who's hunted with both knows that it's the same principle, you have to be able to hit an animal square in the vitals in order to recover your game. Not much margin for error. You still need all the skills that any bow hunter needs and have to get them in close.

A crossbow is just a little more accurate and cuts the learning curve for the new archer.

The fact of the matter is that NYCC accomplished Something and the real crime (aside from the safe act) is that there are people on this site as well as the general Public whether for or against crossbows that are looking down or are not in support of the accomplishment made by NYCC. Crossbows cannot and will not ever take the place of what we lost with the safe act and nobody is asking anyone to reelect Cuomo because he "gave" us an inch.the victory which needs support whether for or against is that together people made a change and fought for what they believed in for the hunting sport. By saying NYCC lost your respect because they said thank you to Cuomo, and not wanting to fight for the hunting sport is telling younger generations if you lose just give up on everything. You should be ashamed of yourself The fact is that crossbows will pave the way for future hunting for SOME new hunters it may not bring in a lot, or more revenue or dramitically increase license sales but with every new hunter hooked on the sport, it's just that much longer we can call hunting a sport and that is the ultimate goal everyone should be in support of... That is all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Crossbows for years were looked at as being evil as the modern sporting rifles are being looked at now (ar15) once upon a time I am sure modern day bolt action, pumps, lever action and semi auto hunting rifles were seen this way when traditional muzzleloaders were primairly used as hunting tools. All of which used a similar projectile the only difference was the overall operating system. Crossbow use a very similar projectile as modern day bows. compound and recurve all have that same type of Broadheads one just shorter in length and operates differently. I am sure scopes were once looked down upon also but everyone adapted and became modernized. It is a choice to use a scope or not an a choice to use a semi auto vs a single shot and a choice to use a vertical bow vs a horizontal one. And the word "choice " is what everyone should be fighting for

Edited by apoallo
  • Like 1

The fact of the matter is that NYCC accomplished Something and the real crime (aside from the safe act) is that there are people on this site as well as the general Public whether for or against crossbows that are looking down or are not in support of the accomplishment made by NYCC. Crossbows cannot and will not ever take the place of what we lost with the safe act and nobody is asking anyone to reelect Cuomo because he "gave" us an inch.the victory which needs support whether for or against is that together people made a change and fought for what they believed in for the hunting sport. By saying NYCC lost your respect because they said thank you to Cuomo, and not wanting to fight for the hunting sport is telling younger generations if you lose just give up on everything. You should be ashamed of yourself The fact is that crossbows will pave the way for future hunting for SOME new hunters it may not bring in a lot, or more revenue or dramitically increase license sales but with every new hunter hooked on the sport, it's just that much longer we can call hunting a sport and that is the ultimate goal everyone should be in support of... That is all Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol

Crossbows for years were looked at as being evil as the modern sporting rifles are being looked at now (ar15) once upon a time I am sure modern day bolt action, pumps, lever action and semi auto hunting rifles were seen this way when traditional muzzleloaders were primairly used as hunting tools. All of which used a similar projectile the only difference was the overall operating system. Crossbow use a very similar projectile as modern day bows. compound and recurve all have that same type of Broadheads one just shorter in length and operates differently. I am sure scopes were once looked down upon also but everyone adapted and became modernized. It is a choice to use a scope or not an a choice to use a semi auto vs a single shot and a choice to use a vertical bow vs a horizontal one. And the word "choice " is what everyone should be fighting for Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Choice??? You mean like hunting where ever a person wants to as long as its legal?  Choice's are now being made for people and some are OK with that as long as it fits in with their way of thinking!

The fact of the matter is that NYCC accomplished Something and the real crime (aside from the safe act) is that there are people on this site as well as the general Public whether for or against crossbows that are looking down or are not in support of the accomplishment made by NYCC. Crossbows cannot and will not ever take the place of what we lost with the safe act and nobody is asking anyone to reelect Cuomo because he "gave" us an inch.the victory which needs support whether for or against is that together people made a change and fought for what they believed in for the hunting sport. By saying NYCC lost your respect because they said thank you to Cuomo, and not wanting to fight for the hunting sport is telling younger generations if you lose just give up on everything. You should be ashamed of yourself The fact is that crossbows will pave the way for future hunting for SOME new hunters it may not bring in a lot, or more revenue or dramitically increase license sales but with every new hunter hooked on the sport, it's just that much longer we can call hunting a sport and that is the ultimate goal everyone should be in support of... That is all Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If this is partially directed at me, because I explained how and why this proposal achieved the necessary public support to influence the governor and the legislature; let me make it clear that explanation was not to belittle the crossbow coalition. I offered that explanation so that people who don't get it, do get it. As a matter of fact, Rick McGovern is one of our face book subscribers, not sure if he did any outreach for us, but he is on our page. And his enlistment on our page is not any influence on my neutral position on the crossbow issue. If I had a strong opinion either for or against crossbows you would have heard it...  

If you want to give me crap, you can give me crap about when this comes to public comment; I might suggest greater protections on bears, coyotes, bobcats and also suggest that the DEC evaluates gray wolf or red wolf restoration. My justification for these recommendations is that hunters do not shoot doe deer and increased buck harvest will not achieve population reduction goals...

And you all don't shoot very many does, and given the choice, you certainly take bucks... And their is no indication social attitudes among hunters are changing in this respect, as a matter of fact trophy hunting is growing to new heights, even dubbed "hornography" by some biologists...

If this is partially directed at me, because I explained how and why this proposal achieved the necessary public support to influence the governor and the legislature; let me make it clear that explanation was not to belittle the crossbow coalition. I offered that explanation so that people who don't get it, do get it. As a matter of fact, Rick McGovern is one of our face book subscribers, not sure if he did any outreach for us, but he is on our page. And his enlistment on our page is not any influence on my neutral position on the crossbow issue. If I had a strong opinion either for or against crossbows you would have heard it...  

If you want to give me crap, you can give me crap about when this comes to public comment; I might suggest greater protections on bears, coyotes, bobcats and also suggest that the DEC evaluates gray wolf or red wolf restoration. My justification for these recommendations is that hunters do not shoot doe deer and increased buck harvest will not achieve population reduction goals...

And you all don't shoot very many does, and given the choice, you certainly take bucks... And their is no indication social attitudes among hunters are changing in this respect, as a matter of fact trophy hunting is growing to new heights, even dubbed "hornography" by some biologists...

This is a great idea and i have been pushing the word on bringing wolves into Ny myself.  I think that would be an awesome sight to see in the wild. Yes this would also take care of any left over deer problems for the year.  Maybe even get enough to get a season on them in 5 years or so.

If this is partially directed at me, because I explained how and why this proposal achieved the necessary public support to influence the governor and the legislature; let me make it clear that explanation was not to belittle the crossbow coalition. I offered that explanation so that people who don't get it, do get it. As a matter of fact, Rick McGovern is one of our face book subscribers, not sure if he did any outreach for us, but he is on our page. And his enlistment on our page is not any influence on my neutral position on the crossbow issue. If I had a strong opinion either for or against crossbows you would have heard it...

If you want to give me crap, you can give me crap about when this comes to public comment; I might suggest greater protections on bears, coyotes, bobcats and also suggest that the DEC evaluates gray wolf or red wolf restoration. My justification for these recommendations is that hunters do not shoot doe deer and increased buck harvest will not achieve population reduction goals...

And you all don't shoot very many does, and given the choice, you certainly take bucks... And their is no indication social attitudes among hunters are changing in this respect, as a matter of fact trophy hunting is growing to new heights, even dubbed "hornography" by some biologists...

I say fill all tags and every time I step into the woods I'm thinking of herd management for that particular location.

I take population control seriously because I believe that is the future for hunting...and then I get crushed on this site for harvesting 7 baldies and 1 mature buck last season. Criticized by guys who admit they burn doe tags.

I agree with you that I am fairly neutral on the xbows...glad my dad and pop can use them for part of archery...also nice to have a "bow-only" season.

Edited by Meat Manager

This is a great idea and i have been pushing the word on bringing wolves into Ny myself.  I think that would be an awesome sight to see in the wild. Yes this would also take care of any left over deer problems for the year.  Maybe even get enough to get a season on them in 5 years or so.

If people want wolves reintroduced, I guess the coyote problem can't be that bad and all the reports of how much of an impact they have on deer population is BS.......if you want more predators to help reduce the deer herd why not petition to have coyotes put on the protected species list?

Introducing wolves would be a huge mistake.  First off, they would most likely be in the Adirondacks were deer numbers are already low.  Most of these areas don't give out doe permits for that reason.  There are plenty of tools available to the DEC to control numbers that don't involve increased predator numbers.  Other states have been successful at this.  How about unlimited doe take in areas that need reductions?  Maybe an earn a buck program?  Maybe a couple more months of bow season after regular season as doe only?  

• Like 1

Whether you are talking bugs or deer, introducing predators usually turns out to be a very bad idea with all kinds of unintended consequences. Now you have another species that you have to manage for controlling the original target species. Personally, I do not have that much faith in the DEC to keep yet another species in check. Also, when you are talking wolves, you become subject to the "big fuzzy doggy" mentality that eventually takes their management out of the hands of the DEC and puts it into the hands of the bunny-huggers. We have a system for deer population control that works rather well .... the permit system. Perhaps rather than throwing out the baby with the bathwater, we need to perfect the system we got and have the DEC emphasize a better understanding of local herd sizes. If you don't believe they have the ability to do that, why would anyone think they could handle the management of yet another predator species?

Whether you are talking bugs or deer, introducing predators usually turns out to be a very bad idea with all kinds of unintended consequences. Now you have another species that you have to manage for controlling the original target species. Personally, I do not have that much faith in the DEC to keep yet another species in check. Also, when you are talking wolves, you become subject to the "big fuzzy doggy" mentality that eventually takes their management out of the hands of the DEC and puts it into the hands of the bunny-huggers. We have a system for deer population control that works rather well .... the permit system. Perhaps rather than throwing out the baby with the bathwater, we need to perfect the system we got and have the DEC emphasize a better understanding of local herd sizes. If you don't believe they have the ability to do that, why would anyone think they could handle the management of yet another predator species?

The permit system works you say?   Funny it was just your words that i read in a thread that said in your area of 8n they cant control the population with tags.  I know i get 3 a year for that area and most of the guys i hunt with do the same.  They never even reach their target numbers of permits that they want to give away from what i hear?

You cant have it both ways. First off hunter numbers are on a steady drop and second the hunters that are left want trophies. If hunters cant get it done. Predators sure will. Farmers and Ins company says we want, they will get.

The permit system works you say?   Funny it was just your words that i read in a thread that said in your area of 8n they cant control the population with tags.  I know i get 3 a year for that area and most of the guys i hunt with do the same.  They never even reach their target numbers of permits that they want to give away from what i hear?

You cant have it both ways. First off hunter numbers are on a steady drop and second the hunters that are left want trophies. If hunters cant get it done. Predators sure will. Farmers and Ins company says we want, they will get.

I said it works quite well, I didn't say it was perfect. And certainly there are improvements needed as I noted in the previous reply. But you don't put out a match with a firehose. A lot of mistaken people have tried that approach over the years and most have resulted in absolute disaster. Certainly we should learn a little bit from history. It is funny to hear people say that since the DEC can't do the job, we should add some more even more difficult management responsibilities to their plate. What sense does that make?

I said it works quite well, I didn't say it was perfect. And certainly there are improvements needed as I noted in the previous reply. But you don't put out a match with a firehose. A lot of mistaken people have tried that approach over the years and most have resulted in absolute disaster. Certainly we should learn a little bit from history. It is funny to hear people say that since the DEC can't do the job, we should add some more even more difficult management responsibilities to their plate. What sense does that make?

You get a few wolves in town and they will need no help to make a living! Yotes seem to be doing their part with no help.

How long do you want to get it right. Its only been what...30 years and they cant figure it out.  They care about 1 thing $ paychecks!

They will throw as many weapons and as many seasons that they want and the herd will always stay 20 steps ahead of them in 99% of the state.

Man couldnt take them out, Disease could not take them out. Wolves will get the numbers down.  It wont take them long to find the best food and they will get a foot in and call it home!

That is a tough one since some of the bucks could have shed by then.

At archery distance it is still pretty obvious mature buck vs. horse doe...yearlings are the problem unfortunately.

Jersey goes way late and I don't think it's too big of a problem of course overall pop control is the main concern there and you can shoot a racked buck late if you have the tag.

Edited by Meat Manager