Calling turkeys/gobbling turkey

THHuntNY

This morning we had a turkey gobble to us all morning. He wasn't really gobbling after our calls but a few minutes after we called he would gobble. The gobbles seemed to progressively get closer but it seemed the gobbler was behind us or would never step out to where we could see him. I had decoys set up in the field in front of me. But he would not come to the decoys or in the small pice of field we were in. I was yelping cutting and clucking. And he gobbled every few minutes or more from 6:25 to about 8/8:15 ish then he seemed to just disappear out of thin air. Could it have been my calling? My decoy set up? Any feedback would be great.

Thanks

Its really hard to say. Sounds like he hung up and just didn't want to come any closer. Could be just his preference. Or he might have seen your decoys and couldn't figure out why they weren't coming to him. Did you try going silent to peak his curiosity?

Perhaps he henned up . Did you overcall him? Call him to loudly? Maybe try some soft purrs at him if it happens again. Typically once I get a bird inside 100-150 yards I may only purr at him once or twice. I'll call off to my side so he can't pinpoint me and still keep looking for me. You got to experience a good morning in the woods and hunt him again. Hunting the same bird to me makes it all the more enjoyable. Becomes a personal vendetta. 

• Like 1

i try to set up so a turkey cant see into an open woods or field until hes in range.. i never like using decoys seems to scare more that attract. hens may have saw your decoys and took gobbler away with them. next time you hut that spot set up where he was ..not the field... hes comfortable there and will come that far again.

i'd say overcalled...when there within a 100 yrds you should really cut your calling down to a minimum maybe just some purrs. Its hard because everyone wants them hammering in all the way to the decoys but if you answer to him too much hes gonna want that hen to come to him at some-point. And as previously stated he could of already been with hens.

• Like 1

It's really too hard to say without being there. Could have been over calling, under calling, decoys, hens or any number of things.

After you get some experience, you will be able to read the situation better. That's the beauty of turkey hunting, it's very interactive.

Hard to say but I'd guess he was gobbling to hens close to him or with him, and if those hens heard you they will take him away so he doesn't go to you (another hen), usually if Ya can hear those hens , I copy every word they say a little loauder and I cut them off, make it sound like your a hen that's taking over and she will come to fight and bring her boy friend , but If I can't hear those hens and he's not really responding directly to my calls I assume he cant hear me or plain not intrested and happy with the hens he's got , get up and move with out being seen obviously , get closer , maybe guess where hes going and cut them off ,

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Edited by asav2013

The bird sounds like he's wise. Previous season's hunter education, I bet.

explain? IMO I  don't think a bird is going to remember last year. Many instances a hunter will miss/get spotted/or make a call the bird doesn't like. Either by sitting it out or moving they can kill that same bird later in the day. I've  accidentally sat directly under him on his roost. (they moved roosting area) He knew I was there. Flew down a few hours later than he should have . I waited awhile( few hours) ,called and got him to respond. Granted I didn't take him home that day but was thrilled I got him fired up.

If the bird is gobbling and seems to be getting closer, my opinion is to shut up. An occasional cluck or two, but thats it. But the bird may have gotten hung up, at a creek, old fence, thick crap that he didn't want to cross…its hard to say. Thats why its good to know the area. If you think there was something between you and the tom, try to CAREFULLY make a semi circle,  in one direction or the other, set up and call again. There are no definite answers …thats hunting.

WELCOME TO TURKEY HUNTING!!.

Seriously...all depends on the bird...young,alone and looking for love they will gobble and come in better..

Henned up,older,wiser,..hmmm..not so much

you might run into that bird in a week or so after his hens leave and kill him on the first call

thats what makes this sport so frustrating and awesome all at the same time

you probably didnt do anything wrong ,possibly called a little too much and a little too loud but you still had fun

next time he dont come running try going silent thats sometimes the best call of all

Enjoy

It's just a turkey being a turkey. Some times they just don't come in on a string. It has happened to me several times in all my years of turkey hunting. More than likely he was with a hen and was responding to her.

Don't give up on that bird. I hunted the same gobbler five days before I killed him.

Good luck on your season

I was thinking the weather may have put them off of henning up but I was WRONG. Have been out as much as possible scouting and have a few places I plan on roosting some birds if im lucky. I notice if you call too much becasue of excitement in hearing them gobble back they tend to shut right up. This will be my first year hunting with decoys and placement and positioning is the key to success.

As the previous posters have said, there can be many reasons why a gobbler responds but does not come in.

Calling too much or too loud can hang birds up. Some birds have had bad experiences with decoys. Some have been shot at and hesitate to approach ANY calling. The list goes on and on.

However, just to pick a number out of the air, I would say that 80 % of the gobblers that act that way do it for three reasons.

Reason # 1...They are with hens.

Reason # 2...They are with hens.

Reason # 3...They are with hens.

If you can manage to be in the woods when the gobbler is NOT with hens, most of the time you will find him to be much more receptive to your calling.

It is easier said than done. The mythical time when all the hens go on the nest does not exist, at least not in legal hunting season. I believe that any individual gobbler is just as likely to be with hens the last day of season as the first day.

Some hens mate but do not nest ( the SLUTS). Many hens get thier nests disturbed by predators and return to the gobbler for a time before re-nesting. There are ALWAYS hen turkeys available.

Fortunately, there are periods of time when any individual gobbler is without a hen for a PERIOD OF TIME. The more time you spend in the woods, the better chance you have of catching that gobbler on the one day , or perhaps the one HALF HOUR when he does NOT have a hen with him.

You will find him much more co-operative at that time.

It's just turkey hunting my man. Some days you could call them in rubbing two rocks together and other days you could have a real hen right in front of you doing the best she can to entice a Tom and he could give a shit about her, all while gobbling his head off. Have fun and enjoy the head scratching and frustrating hunts because they make the text book ones a blast!

You may be over-calling, but this happens to me a lot. The bird doesn't see the hen he is looking for, and smells a rat. Call very sporadically and just have patience, he may get suicidal, or you may draw another bird in with all the commotion. Like others have said, very few "given"s in turkey hunting.

• Like 1

Welcome to turkey hunting! Can be frustrating and wonderful all in the same morning. Had a guy tell me the other day that turkeys are dumb and doesnt understand why its so hard for hunters to shoot one....i told him the only people that say that have never hunted a turkey!