straight or angled

the blur

they make forms to fit any deer, there are several manufacturers that make forms, and a good taxidermist adjusts the form for the proper measurments of your deer/game. (perhaps legnthning the nose or shortning it). in general a straight on head doesnt look very lifelike and i know several taxidermists who do not like to do them. a slight turn is much more realistic. but it is your mount and should be done the way you want it, a full upright head strait is what you want he should acommodate you. or id look for a different taxidermist.

• Like 4

I don't like the way your taxi explained it.He should have said - don't do a straight form, it won't look good at all.

One form I really really like is the curious alert form. It's relatively new (a few years old), but I really really like it. It's a Revolution form.

I had a sneak mount done one time with some awesome sheds.  IIRC it was a straight mount??

Really cool looking but I sold it at a time of need.  As far as I know, it is in a bar in Wellsville?  It was a gorgeous 150"B&C 10pt.  It was officially measured as sheds.

I with I had a couple pics of it..........

Personally, I usually flip through the McKenzie Catalog to get ideas. You can request a catalog from them and its free. It's something like 500 pages and in color and is great for ideas. The whitetail section is their biggest section.

http://www.mckenziesp.com/Catalog-Request-W2C2597.aspx here's the link, just request the Print version. It's free and definitely worth looking at. The online version isn't as helpful in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife was the same way.  I hung it before she came home one night and then explained how much work went into killing that deer and that it provides great memories of the season.  She relented.  Have a serious conversation with her and be reasonable about where you hang it.  

I'm just confused. You guys didn't know your wives has issues with taxidermy work until after you got it done?

Regardless of what wife thinks, the trophy gets mounted.  That is totally irrelevant.  I have a basement, I have a garage.  For now, the trophy is hanging in the basement.  And with the divorce rate being 50%, why wouldn't I spend $500 for a nice mount :O

Edited by the blur
  • Like 1