Another Celeb Deer Hunter Busted

Five Seasons

I don't think any group likes to lose anything to another group......bowhunters lost the what they claim is a good weekend when they moved the opener of gun to a Saturday, they also feel they lost something to the youth hunt, now I imagine they feel they lost two prime weeks to the crossbow crowd.....I personally have never heard any gripes from gun hunters about anything other than antler restrictions, it could be that the bowhunting enthusiasts are more vocal about their desires, which in turn make them sound like elitists to some. As for the whole antler craze, I still haven't been able to understand why that is more important then the whole hunting experience.

Sounds like you've been hunting around and or associate with the wrong people. None the less, showing off what you harvested because you are proud of your success is bad? I don't get that, Its not wrong and never will be.  When you harvest a nice buck you never told a friend the story of the hunt? Never sent a text message of the deer to anyone.  If that's the case why even get them mounted then, why put them on display if you think its so wrong?

And who gives a flying squirrel what anti hunters think, 99% of them hypocritical dopes that go out and buy meat from the market and think it grows off trees. 

It has nothing to do with who I hunt around or associate with. It has to do with what i hear when I pass two at a store or someplace or when I talk to them during hunting season.Yes showing off your ability to take another life [human or animal] is bad at least with how all the antis feel about hunting.And no I do not run to a friend and tell the story or send text messages of the deer to any one.If they are there or come along when it happens then they know if not then so be it.As for me mounting or displaying anything I dont.If you are referring to pics I posted in my introduction thread they are all hanging at my fathers house. I only posted the pics when prof that I am successful at hunting was needed by others because that is how they measure success. My father is retired and gets bored after deer season so he pulls them out of the boxes of heads we have laying around and does them up.

We all should care what anti hunters think no mater wher they buy there meat or think it comes from.

Stub,

You are definitely wrong that there were more nice bucks in NY 15 years ago.

Historically NY (and PA) has had some of the worst stats in terms of buck age class...it is improving greatly over the past few years.

Also I would say there were probably about the same amount of archers back then as there were many more hunters then despite the fact there has been an increase in bow hunters in the past few years (guessing).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you hunt in NY 15 years ago.Deer where every where lots of nice bucks included. You couldn't go in the woods without seeing 10 or 15 deer every day. Nice bucks were seen almost every day not maybe on or none a season. If a nice buck was seen out in a field everyone in town wasn't talking about because there were 6 more seen in the same area. Go hunting today you can go days without seeing a deer and a season and not see a buck let alone a nice one. When a nice buck is seen now everyone is amased and they all can't stop hopeing they are the ones to get it because they are a rare site. 15 years years when you told someone you bow hunted they were suprised because it wasn't as popular then. not many people talked about it either. Today everyone talks about bow hunting and everyone knows someone who bow hunts

moog :  Bow hunters fought against the youth hunt,bow hunters fought against crossbows,the only thing they are for is getting longer season and antler restrictions so they can get big bucks.On this and many other sites and in politics they have voiced there distaine of when the youth season is and the use of crossbows for the last two weeks of what they call their season. Bow hunters are the ones calling gun hunters fat lazy slobs,and that gun season should be only one week,or that gun hunters are happy trigger dopes who dont care how many deer they wound. Make a good shot with a gun the deer drops dead, make a good shot with a bow you track just like a bad shot with a gun and a chance of loseing a deer even with that good shot.Just saying. You dont hear gun hunters crying about there season being to short or that if someone wants they can use a bow or crossbow during gun season, nor do you hear gun hunters crying that there are not enough big bucks. No one needs to prove that which is a mater of public knowledge or can easly be found by reading the posts of bow hunters. 

• Like 1

moog :  Bow hunters fought against the youth hunt,bow hunters fought against crossbows,the only thing they are for is getting longer season and antler restrictions so they can get big bucks.On this and many other sites and in politics they have voiced there distaine of when the youth season is and the use of crossbows for the last two weeks of what they call their season. Bow hunters are the ones calling gun hunters fat lazy slobs,and that gun season should be only one week,or that gun hunters are happy trigger dopes who dont care how many deer they wound. Make a good shot with a gun the deer drops dead, make a good shot with a bow you track just like a bad shot with a gun and a chance of loseing a deer even with that good shot.Just saying. You dont hear gun hunters crying about there season being to short or that if someone wants they can use a bow or crossbow during gun season, nor do you hear gun hunters crying that there are not enough big bucks. No one needs to prove that which is a mater of public knowledge or can easly be found by reading the posts of bow hunters. 

while I don't exactly agree with everything you said or way you put it, if you go back and read my last post. I almost said the same thing..........bowhunters seem to be the more vocal of the two groups, which may turn the gun hunters off, but that may be their own fault for not being as vocal when it comes to protecting what they have or getting more of what they want.

Did you hunt in NY 15 years ago.Deer where every where lots of nice bucks included. You couldn't go in the woods without seeing 10 or 15 deer every day. Nice bucks were seen almost every day not maybe on or none a season. If a nice buck was seen out in a field everyone in town wasn't talking about because there were 6 more seen in the same area. Go hunting today you can go days without seeing a deer and a season and not see a buck let alone a nice one. When a nice buck is seen now everyone is amased and they all can't stop hopeing they are the ones to get it because they are a rare site. 15 years years when you told someone you bow hunted they were suprised because it wasn't as popular then. not many people talked about it either. Today everyone talks about bow hunting and everyone knows someone who bow hunts

You aren't seriously blaming bow hunters for any significant changes in deer populations are you? I know you have some sort of weird vendetta against bowhunters and would like to blame all the world's problems on them, but try to be a little rational. The deer population is controlled through the antlerless permit system. And the primary tool for that system to work is the gun. So if you have a problem with changes in deer numbers, don't be pointing fingers at bowhunters.

• Like 2

You aren't seriously blaming bow hunters for any significant changes in deer populations are you? I know you have some sort of weird vendetta against bowhunters and would like to blame all the world's problems on them, but try to be a little rational. The deer population is controlled through the antlerless permit system. And the primary tool for that system to work is the gun. So if you have a problem with changes in deer numbers, don't be pointing fingers at bowhunters.

The whole thing is a myth...deer pops are ever increasing in most parts of the country/region/state.

Again historically NY and PA rank at the bottom in buck age class...with a high majority being yearling harvests and statistically nearly zero percent 4-6yr old harvest.

That is changing thanks to many factors like better education about whitetail ecology and protecting yearlings.

Bigger and better bucks now in both states without question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager

moog :  Bow hunters fought against the youth hunt,bow hunters fought against crossbows,the only thing they are for is getting longer season and antler restrictions so they can get big bucks. True of some - not true of many. On this and many other sites and in politics they have voiced there distaine of when the youth season is and the use of crossbows for the last two weeks of what they call their season. Again - true of some - not true of many. Bow hunters are the ones calling gun hunters fat lazy slobs,and that gun season should be only one week,or that gun hunters are happy trigger dopes who dont care how many deer they wound. Again - true of some - not true of many. Make a good shot with a gun the deer drops dead, make a good shot with a bow you track just like a bad shot with a gun and a chance of loseing a deer even with that good shot. 5 shot volleys are "good shots? Using your brooooaaaad paintbrush, one could make a general statement about gun hunters - but it would be as foolish as most of yours about bow hunters. Just saying. Me too. You dont hear gun hunters crying about there season being to short or that if someone wants they can use a bow or crossbow during gun season, Few use a bow during gun season - and those that do have literally zero impact on gun hunters. This is called a "straw man" argumentnor do you hear gun hunters crying that there are not enough big bucks. I hear it all the time - your logic means it is true. No one needs to prove that which is a mater of public knowledge or can easily be found by reading the posts of bow hunters. 

Ever hear the story of the blind men touching different parts of an elephant and definitively describing what an elephant is?

That is the technique you are using.

Selectively gleaning random samples that support your preconceived opinions and presenting them as facts with zero proof of anything other then living in a bubble. 

What escapes a lot of people is the fact that many, perhaps even most, and maybe even the overwhelming majority of bowhunters are also gun hunters. It was a bowhunter (Fred Bear) that coined the phrase, "two-season hunter".

What escapes a lot of people is the fact that many, perhaps even most, and maybe even the overwhelming majority of bowhunters are also gun hunters. It was a bowhunter (Fred Bear) that coined the phrase, "two-season hunter".

Very true.. I am betting 90%. + of bow hunters are gun hunters as well. I personally do not know a single person that bow hunts only..

Very true.. I am betting 90%. + of bow hunters are gun hunters as well. I personally do not know a single person that bow hunts only..

Me either. Guess I'm shielded from all the gun hunters that complain. Guess I'm also shielded from all the bow hunters that are elitists too. Every hunter I know are great people. Except that one trespasser I keep chasing off, didn't see him last year through.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Everything seems to lead to crossbows these days doesn't it? .... lol. But just to be clear, I have not or am not introducing the crossbow into this thread. My comments are regarding my perception of why some gun hunters seem to be bothered by bowhunters and why I believe there is a certain element of envy regarding those benefits that bowhunters have and a desire to have a piece of the action. And it is all just perception based on stubby's reply, and other comments that I have read and heard.

I think bow hunters are bothered just as much by gun hunters as gun hunters are by bow hunters... like many arguments.. it depends on which side of the argument you're on... my real point is that it is all nonsense to me and I'm sure you probably feel that way as well. I really just can't seem to understand how people get so rapped up in these conflicts other than as a good point of conversation on a forum.

I think bow hunters are bothered just as much by gun hunters as gun hunters are by bow hunters... like many arguments.. it depends on which side of the argument you're on... my real point is that it is all nonsense to me and I'm sure you probably feel that way as well. I really just can't seem to understand how people get so rapped up in these conflicts other than as a good point of conversation on a forum.

I don't either because rather then bitching I hunt all the seasons I can. To bad the cry babies don't do the same thing. Then again if they did then there would be nothing for them to complain about.

Here's the problem. Many of these supposedly pointless arguments can wind up as legislation against the other groups. It is not always just a harmless outcome. I have watched the tension between gun hunters and bow hunters grow to the point where you start getting some people of rather militant mentality like Stubby. As primarily a bowhunter, I understand that we are in the minority in the hunting community, and when ever I hear these messages of hate, I do pay attention to those. There is nothing cast in stone relative to bow hunting.....no guarantees that the long seasons that we currently enjoy and the long list of bowhunting benefits will be forever. So when these kinds of issues start up, I do get concerned. But then that's just me.

Off the top of my pointy head I know three guys that strictly bow hunt, Tom D, Gerry F and Tom T.

The interesting thing is their ages are 76, 54 and I'd guess 70.  No gun hunting for these guys out of choice of course. 

I don't either because rather then bitching I hunt all the seasons I can. To bad the cry babies don't do the same thing. Then again if they did then there would be nothing for them to complain about.

In their defense they could be like myself... I offer up my opinion here just as a point of conversation... the truth is I really care very little about much of what is debated here.... but like to be in on the conversation. ;)

• Like 2

In their defense they could be like myself... I offer up my opinion here just as a point of conversation... the truth is I really care very little about much of what is debated here.... but like to be in on the conversation. ;)

True, thats what I'm doing too :)

• Like 1

For every single braggart out there looking for fame and glory for their accomplishments, there are a dozen people with huge bucks on their den walls. They will tell you a great story about that deer if you ask them, but they don't care about calling the newspaper about it. These are the hunters who impress me: with their quiet stories that not many hear.

same goes for most vets I've met. The loud and bragging vets I've met I found rarely saw any real combat.

I stopped watching hunting shows in the early 90's , after they stopped being instructional (whitetail visions, quest hunting videos if you can find them are full of good tips) a few started that way early drury videos, primos,fitzgeralds,pererson vids as well. now its watch me shoot this big buck.. i'n my opinion is it the cause of the antler craze and removal from family and hunting values that were the traditional backbone of hunting. the animal was always secondary. now emphasis is placed on size of the rack and if you can kill a big buck every year.....

d&dh is one of the only remaining shows i DVR. They spend most of the show on education. I admit to also watching buck commander but really because it's just good entertainment.

PWG bow hunters are all about the decoration and put down any one that shoots deer for the meat.Any time you talk to them or read there posts they complain there are not any big bucks and say gun hunters are just brown and down shooters. They think they are the only ones who should be aloud to hunt deer. When I say this I mean most not all, 90% of them think this way.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

i have yet to see one person on this board put down another for meat hunting. I think pretty much all self-admitted bow hunters fill their freezer first. I do not see us "complain" about lack of deer... in fact I have seen the argument that bow hunters are shooting all the big bucks and leaving none for gun hunters a few times on this board. The young buck and AR discussions come from all hunters.

Do not forget that 95% of bowhunters also gun hunt. Do we tend to be antler crazed? Sure. A bowhunter is usually a little more dedicated and infatuated with deer hunting... it's why we started bowhunting in the first place. To get more time in the woods because we're so freaking addicted.

i agree doc, gun hunters have been giving up/a lot of perks to bowhunters. especially in nys. you dont see gun hunting shows showing off big bucks every week in the numbers that the bow shows do.or eventhe specail season weapons like muzzloader and crossbow. as for nys the dec cares about total numbers taken.. not about trophys or age class. that is a predominantly bow hunters push.

the bow season was extended yes. but not till 3 years after the last (sometimes best weekend because of the rut) of bow season was removed for the Saturday gun opener. Then the youth weekend was added, and now crossbows. I know this sounds like whining. But all 3 of these points are facts. So short of a mosquito infested extra 2 weeks in October. What has archery done to hurt gun hunters? Other than increasing license sales adding to additional funds to the NYSDEC to help manage the sport we love.

If you really want to complain about the gun season, compare the length of our gun season to those of some of the more sought after states. Some are only a week long.

Edited by Belo

the bow season was extended yes. but not till 3 years after the last (sometimes best weekend because of the rut) of bow season was removed for the Saturday gun opener. Then the youth weekend was added, and now crossbows. I know this sounds like whining. But all 3 of these points are facts. So short of a mosquito infested extra 2 weeks in October. What has archery done to hurt gun hunters? Other than increasing license sales adding to additional funds to the NYSDEC to help manage the sport we love.

If you really want to complain about the gun season, compare the length of our gun season to those of some of the more sought after states. Some are only a week long.

I hear exactly what your saying, and I'm not a complainer or a die hard bowhunter, but like you said, it's just a simple fact that the Archery season is the only one that has taken any type of loss......they can keep the first two weeks of Oct, I'd prefer they give it to crossbows and the youth and leave the middle and end of the month the way it was.

while I don't exactly agree with everything you said or way you put it, if you go back and read my last post. I almost said the same thing..........bowhunters seem to be the more vocal of the two groups, which may turn the gun hunters off, but that may be their own fault for not being as vocal when it comes to protecting what they have or getting more of what they want.

we're vocal because we are the only group who has lost anything. Gun hunters have nothing to be vocal about. If we were to move the opening of gun back a week for a special crossbow season that would have been ok by a lot of bowhunters... would probably sell a lot of crossbows to us compound shooters who want to stay in the woods. But do you think gun hunters would remain silent?

Bow hunters lost nothing. Your season starts the first of oct. you can still go hunting during the youth weekend and you can still hunt the last two weeks. The crossbows didn't take away those two weeks you can still use your bow just have the option to use a crossbow if you want. Crossbows can be used during all of gun season and no one is crying about it so I don't see your point. What have bow hunters lost? If the crossbows took the last 2 weeks from bow hunting I could see your point but they didn't. Yes if gun season lost two weeks I am sure there would be complaining, but no one lost any time just added another weapon.Even if the  youth weekend was set up so only kids with guns could be in the woods it is only a couple of days. Bow hunters gained 2 weeks a few years ago so a couple days would be nothing to lose What is it that bow hunters have lost. Heck you can use a bow during gun season if you want but I can not use a gun during bow season so I guess that would be a loss for gun hunters then if the use of crossbows is a loss for bow. Again where di bow hunters lose anything?.

• Like 1