Help choosing a duck/goose hunting dog

Hookhunter20

I have recently been looking to replace my late Chesapeake for waterfowl and upland hunting. He was a once in a lifetime dog and will be hard if ever possible to beat. However I feel ready to move on and bring a pup in to get back in to bird hunting. My girlfriend is proving to be difficult to sell the chessie breed on and is insisting on a golden. I was wondering what everyone's view and preference is on duck dogs as far as family dogs and train ability. Opinions are much appreciated

You get a chessie and she gets a golden. Don't get the same sex though and neuter one or both before first heat of the female . She trains her dog and you train yours.

We have two neutered males and one intact female. Guess who is the queen B? lol

Intact males are another story, would not want to deal with that.

• Like 1

I got 2 males intact...a 6 year old 110lb Chocolate who is a giant baby and 7 yr old 65lb Golden.

Both are incredible swimmers and will retrieve over and over without tiring, however both are masher mouths...useless for waterfowl (I'm not a good trainer).

They will flush birds upland...but we don't do that often. We typically just like to hike and swim...again more a failure of my training and a disservice of their breeds on my part then any fault of theirs.

The best family dogs I've ever been around.

EDIT: DW's pup reminded me that both of my pups point, the chocolate very consistently...if only I had the skills to cultivate all of this potential.

Edited by Meat Manager

Be for I got my Lab I did a lot of research and found out that Golden's  have a recorded for biting more then any other dog I also found out the Black Labs  have a good recorded for not only got hunting but also for being good family dog I have minr for 10+ years and he's a grate hunter and family friend

I think Doewhacker might add to his collection  a retriever breed if he was primarily a waterfowl hunter, although in states like California the so-called versatile breeds such as wirehairs do really well, wirehairs in particular are extremely determined and have enormous prey drive.

I think Lawdaz is joking around, but I will say what I have observed is that chessies, like English setters, mature later than labs.  I have little experience with Goldens, so I cant comment on them. Except all dogs shed, except maybe Si Robertson's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLgSsTz9Tig

I think Doewhacker might add to his collection a retriever breed if he was primarily a waterfowl hunter, although in states like California the so-called versatile breeds such as wirehairs do really well, wirehairs in particular are extremely determined and have enormous prey drive.

I think Lawdaz is joking around, but I will say what I have observed is that chessies, like English setters, mature later than labs. I have little experience with Goldens, so I cant comment on them. Except all dogs shed, except maybe Si Robertson's.

I have a GWP too. ; ) That's him on the right, his lines originate out of Oregon. Prey drive on all three is impressive. The Griffons don't shed much at all the GWP however sheds like crazy. post-28-0-73102400-1401810718_thumb.jpg

You just can't go wrong with Labs. I don't bird hunt much anymore, but I did for a long time (ducks and pheasants) and my friends and I always used Labs. Great hunting dogs & great family dogs. I have a chocolate Lab now. I don't hunt him but when I take hime on walks he will naturally start working the fields

I have a GWP too. ; ) That's him on the right, his lines originate out of Oregon. Prey drive on all three is impressive. The Griffons don't shed much at all the GWP however sheds like crazy. attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Then we will add griffons to the list of non shedders... Good looking field, keep the location to yourself rather than advertise it on the internet!. Those boulders are to keep vehicles off the fields and prevent erosion. The DEC should also put in dog tie-outs or at least stakes in those parking areas. We just aren't numerous enough you know, lol.... Shade trees too to cool off quicker and  keep the trucks cool... They rather build boat ramps and trails.... I have even seen bicycle racks....

Then we will add griffons to the list of non shedders... Good looking field, keep the location to yourself rather than advertise it on the internet!. Those boulders are to keep vehicles off the fields and prevent erosion. The DEC should also put in dog tie-outs or at least stakes in those parking areas. We just aren't numerous enough you know, lol.... Shade trees too to cool off quicker and  keep the trucks cool... They rather build boat ramps and trails.... I have even seen bicycle racks....

They worry about bird hunters about the day before the Pheasant release I think.

I run on all private lands, I have spots I gain access specifically for training and nothing more. That field with the rocks get's abused the day he moves the rocks to cut the hay usually. I offered to buy it and continue to have him hay it but he didn't seem too likely to sell. Or if he does it will be for a high $$$. It has a small pond too, a trainers dream come true. Next I am going to ask him if I can improve the pond, its in the fall Goose flight path in my area and would be fantastic for waterfowl. Ahhhh dreams...

They worry about bird hunters about the day before the Pheasant release I think.

I run on all private lands, I have spots I gain access specifically for training and nothing more. That field with the rocks get's abused the day he moves the rocks to cut the hay usually. I offered to buy it and continue to have him hay it but he didn't seem too likely to sell. Or if he does it will be for a high $$$. It has a small pond too, a trainers dream come true. Next I am going to ask him if I can improve the pond, its in the fall Goose flight path in my area and would be fantastic for waterfowl. Ahhhh dreams...

There is public and private money to do habitat improvements, plus tax incentives and other financial incentives for the landowner . The landowner is not required to allow public access either. I don't know if your version of improving the pond would qualify however, but worth looking into.

Your comment leads right into the subject of  public hunting dog training areas - Pennsylvania has them and New Jersey has them, as a matter of fact in Jersey they stock 800 bobwhites on their dog training areas the month of October. They require a $40 stamp , but so what. Not sure if the stamp is required to train or just hunting, but obviously very few people who train and field trial do not also hunt as well. When you discuss dog training areas and relaxing the regulations regarding releasing game birds (including the price of the permit and all the red tape), and the use of rock doves (pigeons) for dog training; nobody even responds,,,, Not the DEC, not the politicians, and not the county federations, NYSC Council, rod and gun clubs, or any other so-called "organized sportsman"....

Edited by mike rossi

Ohio has fantastic public grounds used for training too. I tested my pup in March in a town called Delaware, (Ohio) and the land was great. They even allow another group to plant habitat for birds, 30 acres, and it's all state land. I was impressed to say the least.

Meanwhile we have over grown planted pines to use.

Ohio has fantastic public grounds used for training too. I tested my pup in March in a town called Delaware, (Ohio) and the land was great. They even allow another group to plant habitat for birds, 30 acres, and it's all state land. I was impressed to say the least.

Meanwhile we have over grown planted pines to use.

The same thing is available in New York...

Hunting clubs , a few persons, or even one person can enter "adopt a natural resource" agreements with the DEC and do the same in NY. There also is a "stewardship agreement" which is exactly the same thing with the NY Natural Heritage. Natural Heritage IS the DEC, but it is a division of the DEC which works closely with SUNY Environmental Department. 

All these programs and funding exists here and elsewhere....

Then there are the NGOs such as Pheasant Forever. Local chapters have planted cover that is good for pheasant hunting and has high wildlife habitat value for native birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, bees and other pollinators, and helps with soil ,water recharging, carbon sequestration... But prime habitat may not be the best training cover. While on the topic of PF - when they plant native warm season grasses in NY unless they commit to maintenance this grass gets ousted. I also seen PF habitat areas next to shooting ranges, snow mobile trails, ect.... I like PF, but seen a couple projects that made me scratch my head....

Besides, with the adopt and stewardship agreements, you don't need NGOs (non government organizations), a person or a few hunters can partner with the DEC. It is best to strike a balance - plant prime habitat, but only mow part of it for training. The rest mow on a conservation minded schedule.

Edited by mike rossi
  • Like 1

The same thing is available in New York...

Hunting clubs , a few persons, or even one person can enter "adopt a natural resource" agreements with the DEC and do the same in NY. There also is a "stewardship agreement" which is exactly the same thing with the NY Natural Heritage. Natural Heritage IS the DEC, but it is a division of the DEC which works closely with SUNY Environmental Department. 

All these programs and funding exists here and elsewhere....

Then there are the NGOs such as Pheasant Forever. Local chapters have planted cover that is good for pheasant hunting and has high wildlife habitat value for native birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, bees and other pollinators, and helps with soil ,water recharging, carbon sequestration... But prime habitat may not be the best training cover. While on the topic of PF - when they plant native warm season grasses in NY unless they commit to maintenance this grass gets ousted. I also seen PF habitat areas next to shooting ranges, snow mobile trails, ect.... I like PF, but seen a couple projects that made me scratch my head....

Besides, with the adopt and stewardship agreements, you don't need NGOs (non government organizations), a person or a few hunters can partner with the DEC. It is best to strike a balance - plant prime habitat, but only mow part of it for training. The rest mow on a conservation minded schedule.

This is mostly tidy housekeeping but what I bolded might not be perfectly accurate, all of the warm season grasses native to the USA may not be native to NY state, although some of it is like eastern and/or northern gamma grass -not sure exactly which or both. Either way, whether warm season plantings are native to the state or just the USA, the introduced cool season grasses, forbs and other plants out thrive the warm season grasses unless there is management.... Those plantings will look good for a few years but then be reduced to a few random stems or small patches among the other plants. You might notice this if you look at unmaintained habitat plantings several years old. I lied - more than housekeeping, if you are going to make an investment do it right.... If you cant do maintenance indefinitely plant something else.... Granted the cover is there for a few years until it becomes what it is destined to become without intervention, but the name of the game is sustainability and it is Important to use those donor funds and public funds as wisely as possible too.

The bold in the first paragraph isn't perfect either. The Natural Heritage program deals more with non-game and it derives some of its funding from state non game wildlife grants through teaming with wildlife. That doesn't mean projects cant be bundled and I am pretty sure but not positive that Pitman Robertson Funds are leveraged with state non game wildlife grants. So I don't believe these are entirely separate but stating they are exactly the same isn't quite accurate, lol... (One way to keep the topic bumped is to correct myself if nobody else will ;)

Edited by mike rossi

Isnt really much of a decision really go with the labs, Id start by looking ar bloodlines and

seeing if there are any JH,Sh,MH,NMH in the family line, If there isnt it really doesnt mean alot As most labs are natural retrievers, The show winning side isnt much of an interest to me as is the hunting side,Then if you dont have the time or the know how to train a pup and your looking for a great dog with a great personality id send it out to train, There are several places in

New York that i can think of, In my opinon Peaks Performance out of Holland New York is one of the best, Renee and her mother do a grewat job the dogs dont become robots and you will never

regret the decision, Most likely you will never lose a bird either, If you need help they

normaly have a great line on pregnant or females with litters that they can help you with, If you want the number pm and ill give it you, here is a link to check out their site and it says puppies ready mid summer. http://www.peakperformancetraining.info/