trimming apple trees

is it ok to trim back the new green shoots this time of year? I knuckled all the branches this winter, and they're growing apples at the knuckle, but there are also new shoots growing out of the spots I trimmed......are these shoots taking nutrients away from the apples?

I personally really hate to trim during warm weather as the chance for disease is increased dramatically.

If the tree is large enough to bear fruit reliably (ie not the first year or two of bearing fruit), then I'd leave it be.

What does "knuckled" mean?? I know nothing about trimming apple trees. I usually trim off the smaller lower and or dying limbs.

I'm far from an expert (not even close), but I think its when you trim back the smaller branches to within a few inches of where they branch off from the main limbs....kinda looks like "knuckles when you're done.

I have never knuckled or trimmed my apple tree in the past 3 years since it was planted.  The deer seem to do that and eat the blossoms for me :)

Hopefully will get that fenced in soon.

I have a family resource regarding apple trees.  Will see what I can find out.

i wouldnt recomend trimming this time of year, sounds like they were pruned pretty heavy, this winter/early spring trim back the suckers of new growth, do not heavily trim back an apple (wild) as it will sucker profusly you better off doing int a 1/3 at a time. or the tree is heavily stressed.