Looking for a new plinker

Rim fire ammo is hard to find right now, including 17. >223 is probably the cheapest center fire ammo so I would go for that. For just a plinker…the  Savage Axis, bolt action is around 325 - 350 new. Decent rifle. If you want to spend more, the list is pretty long.

22LR are hard to find but I haven't had trouble finding 17HMRs and I even see some 22WMRs around.  At $12 to $15 for a box of 50 rounds, 17HMR is not a bad choice for plinking.  I use the Savage 93R17 and love it.

.22 long ,shorts and long rifle.. find an older used 22 and make sure it shoots all 3 types.. longs and shorts are easy to find and are 1/2 the cost of long rifle. or .223 single shot h&r is a good plinker. personally a .223 is loud.. much prefer .22 shorts no one knows what i'm shooting. and doesnt wake up neighborhood.

• 2 weeks later...

My father bought the Mossberg MVP 223 rifle....one of the sweetest and most accurate 223 I have personally shot.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

I thinking about the MVP because it can handle 223 and 556 just don't know which one to get the 18 in barrel or the 24 in one

Ruger American is a GREAT low cost rifle that shoots amazing for the price for about $40 more look at the Ruger American Predator line they also have a rimfire line

I would get rid of my Ruger M77 before my Ruger American

Edited by gfdeputy2

Ruger American is a GREAT low cost rifle that shoots amazing for the price for about $40 more look at the Ruger American Predator line they also have a rimfire line

I would get rid of my Ruger M77 before my Ruger American

Just saw that Gander Mtn. has the Ruger American, with a Redfield 3-9x40 scope 500 bucks out the door….New..

The one problem with the 17 cal. some bullets are too light and not good in any kind of windy days( this was the older original ammo ) that is why I sold mine,  the new stuff is better I would go with the .223