Ginseng?

Cabin Fever

So, I have to wonder just what is the real benefit of Ginseng. Does it really have scientifically proven medicinal benefits. or is it just another old wives tale? One might think that if there were a legitimate need or use for the product, somebody would have domesticated it and turned it into a farming enterprise.

Doc, Ginseng grows slow, it takes 10 years just to get a root and the large roots are 20-30 years. Also cultivated roots do not bring the same price as wild, as they say that it is not as potent.

Yep..... that's a danged long return on investment. So when you dig the roots, have you effectively killed that plant, or do you do something like in horse radishes where you replant part of the root? It seems to me that after centuries of digging them, the entire species would die out.

Over the winter time there was a short lived "reality" show on TV about guys hunting Ginseng.  It was as scripted and corny as all of those shows, but the money that stuff was supposedly selling for was nuts… One little  shopping bag full would fund a nice vacation….

I caught one or two of those programs. It was kind of interesting even though like you said everything was scripted.

So, of course the big question is, "is there any of that stuff in NYS"? I'm not looking for the location of anyone's secret spot or anything. Just an idea of whether it grows in NYS or not.

They did a series of shows on ginseng picking on the History Channel a few months ago . The guys who collected it paid big bucks to the pickers . The pickers would fight each other over the rights to various properties . Some of the pickers would take a berry from the plant they picked and bury it to grow another plant that would take 10+ years to mature .

Yes it grows in NYS. There is an older gentlemen that lives near our hunting cabin. He is an honorary member and walks his dog on the property often. He has picked some ginseng and sold it for big cash, $600+ for one root. I look when I am walking but have never seen any. 

I was once a ginseng hound. Every fall from the 3rd week in august into September I would hike on average 100 miles give or take, no joke and no exaggeration, and I would harvest from 1 pound of dried ginseng (which is 3 lb fresh picked) in a bad year and 4 lbs dried on a good year. I used to sell my dried ginseng to a buyer in NY that was authorized to purchase ginseng from VT and NY for $295-$600+ per pound. My best year yielded just shy of the $3,000 mark. Not too bad of a racket for some pre scouting for deer season, getting some wicked exercise, and having a nice little bundle of cash for playing during ice fishing season. Yeah, I am one of those guys that, much like many of you I'm sure, is never inside only to sleep and even that is a gray area if you count those nap's in the tree stand. But since I started really focusing on and building my outfitter and guide service, I just haven't had time to go "diggin' 'sang" for going on six years now. But it has now got to the point that there is a chance if I get the fall food plots in on time and finish the stand sets, I may have a chance to go diggin' this year. I have a bunch of photos somewhere. I'll post them if I can find them, they were some great pic's of nice wild ginseng examples. Great topic, thanks for starting it!

Fascinating! That article was great. I'll be keeping my eyes open for it. Who knows, maybe someday it will become an annual activity for me too. The combination of scouting, walking (exercise), and looking for a cash crop is an intriguing thought.

Here's some "companion" trees and plants that I read typically grow in areas where ginseng can be found. Should be helpful in giving an idea of where to look anyway...

One indicator that you may be in an area where ginseng grows is the presence of "companion plants" plants which favor the same habitat conditions as ginseng and which are sometimes found growing among ginseng.

• These include trillium (Trillium spp.), bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis), cohosh (Caulophyllum thalictroides -blue, Actaea racemosa-black), jack-in-the-pulpit (Arisaema triphyllum ), wild yam (Dioscorea villosa), goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis), and Solomon’s seal (Polygonatum biflorum). Of course finding these plants by no way guarantees that you’ll also find ginseng.
  • It usually grows in well-shaded areas (especially north- or east-facing slopes) of moist hardwood forests, especially where poplar, maple, beech, hickory, walnut, and, sometimes, oak trees, particularly in the Appalachia and Ozark regions. The more mature the forest (with large hardwood trees and a full canopy that shades out most shrubs, briars, etc.), the better for ginseng, as a thick understory of smaller plants will overshade or outcompete ginseng plants.
Edited by Cabin Fever

They did a series of shows on ginseng picking on the History Channel a few months ago . The guys who collected it paid big bucks to the pickers . The pickers would fight each other over the rights to various properties . Some of the pickers would take a berry from the plant they picked and bury it to grow another plant that would take 10+ years to mature .

One of these articles actually said it was a regulation to plant the seeds back. Very interesting stuff.

Just what I needed...., something else to roam around the woods to look for!

Actually, I really enjoy this kind of post that sparks me to start researching and exploring for new woodland treasures.

I know I've seen this stuff before, but I'm having a tough time remembering where.

I found a forum dedicated to wild roots and herb hunting some of you might find interesting, and it doesn't even have a political section to filter out,lol

http://www.wildgrown.com/index.php/Ginseng-Forum/

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I kept forgetting to post the pic of some ginseng I found this fall while setting tree stands. The bigger one is old enough to dig up, but I usually let them get a bit bigger so they have a good four leaf top. I planted the seeds so the birds and squirrels wouldn't get them to make the patch get a bit bigger down the road.post-5180-0-79201200-1412261328_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I would think many would find it difficult to harvest...illegal on all state run lands isn't it?... if you are given permission to hunt or even hike someone elses land digging up a valuable plant to sell off said property would be stealing...can't imagine a owner say sure dig up a few hundred dollars for your self off my land.

• Like 1