Good one

bubba

I play nine almost every day.  I work evenings now, so I go out play 9 come home get ready for work and do things around the house.  I play in a wednesday morning league.  Me second 39 this year.  It is usually 40 or 41  Weekends if I am no tin a parade or on my bike, I play 18.  front nine one day back the next

• Like 1

Nice. I only shot 39 twice in my life. Both times were front 9s. Once in NY once in Florida. But both times I couldn't stay on that pace and shot 85 and 87. But score is only relative to the slope/course rating of the course and what yardages you play from. The courses around me are pretty tough. I usually play from tees just in front of the tips, which typically means around 6400 yards and a slope of 130-140

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used to be a plus 2 handicap.Quit cold turkey. Played in all the state am's and mid-am's. Blinked and my daughter was 6 1/2 . Don't want to miss her growing up, she's now 12. Bought a Mad River canoe, quit the country club I belonged to (7 club championships in 10 years) and never looked back. More family fun stuff now. Hiking, fishing, vacation days to take her turkey hunting with me, canoeing.

How many shots did you leave out there? My best rounds still had shots I pissed away somewhere.  

How many shots did you leave out there? My best rounds still had shots I pissed away somewhere.  

LOL - my wife used to laugh and ask "well what would you have shot if you made those puts you should have made."  I stopped explaining how great the round would have been "only if."

Playing green lakes in Syracuse my second year, I had a crazy front 9 of 35 (even par).  I promptly followed that with a 48 back nine.  Golf is fickle game.

• Like 2

LOL - my wife used to laugh and ask "well what would you have shot if you made those puts you should have made."  I stopped explaining how great the round would have been "only if."

Playing green lakes in Syracuse my second year, I had a crazy front 9 of 35 (even par).  I promptly followed that with a 48 back nine.  Golf is fickle game.

Shot 66 3x with numerous 67's from the tips in tournament play. One 66 had 9 birdies and 3 bogies from the middle of the fairway and missed the green from inside 100 yards and didn't get up and down. 

Played with Michelle Wii last year at Locust Hill. Buddy took me to club I used to belong to (slashed it around for 81), 9 holes at par 3 with wife and daughter and a bar scramble with lots of drinking involved. 

I miss the guys I played with more than anything but I manage a golf shop and still see most of them. I know where my clubs are when my daughter is older and I decide to play again. Right now she is my priority .

TurkeyFeathers - That's awesome! Golf is a very humbling sport. I'm a very competitive person and now wish I played when I was kid, but baseball was top priority in spring and summer. 

When I play bad, I want to play again. When I play good, I want to play again. Unfortunately, I only play about 15-20 rounds per year and then have a 5-6 month layoff each winter where I don't even pick up a club lol.

Each April is like starting from scratch again. By August/September I'm playing my best golf and then the season ends.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Shot 66 3x with numerous 67's from the tips in tournament play. One 66 had 9 birdies and 3 bogies from the middle of the fairway and missed the green from inside 100 yards and didn't get up and down. 

Played with Michelle Wii last year at Locust Hill. Buddy took me to club I used to belong to (slashed it around for 81), 9 holes at par 3 with wife and daughter and a bar scramble with lots of drinking involved. 

I miss the guys I played with more than anything but I manage a golf shop and still see most of them. I know where my clubs are when my daughter is older and I decide to play again. Right now she is my priority .

I would definitely want strokes from you.  I have only broken 80 3 times and none at quality courses (shadow lake type courses).  Surprisingly I seem to play well at Oak Hill (both east and west).  I think that those courses are tougher for low handicap guys that expect to shoot low 70s.  If you are a 14-18, chipping out of the trees on a bad drive is not that big of a penalty.  Great game but if you want to play well, its takes a lot of time.  I commend you for placing family first.  You will have plenty of time to start lighting the course up again when she is older.

I would definitely want strokes from you.  I have only broken 80 3 times and none at quality courses (shadow lake type courses).  Surprisingly I seem to play well at Oak Hill (both east and west).  I think that those courses are tougher for low handicap guys that expect to shoot low 70s.  If you are a 14-18, chipping out of the trees on a bad drive is not that big of a penalty.  Great game but if you want to play well, its takes a lot of time.  I commend you for placing family first.  You will have plenty of time to start lighting the course up again when she is older.

Love Oak Hill. Played in a best ball tourney a month after the PGA played there. Had to send resume in just to get application. Craig Harmon said it was going to play tougher than it did for the pros. They tricked it up. 4 rounds of complete mental grind. We played the East but I've played the West too, nice gem. 

Qualified for Oldsmobile Scramble to go expense paid to Disney for nationals at Shadow Lake. 3 team chip off after getting rained out. I was last for our team to chip and we were the last team to chip. I was so nervous I bladed my chip, it hit the bank and rolled to a foot, lol. Enough to win. I vividly remember a local great pro yeliing " OMG we lost on a skull!"

Great memories at both courses. 

Ever get to play any of the private Westchester courses? I haven't, but read once that there are over 100 private golf courses in Westchester County.

Never got to play any out there. State Am and Mid Am took me to a lot of nice tracks in Syracuse, Utica, Albany and Rochester regions. In Buffalo area myself. Played them all around here. Crag Burn a ton. My favorite course from the tips. Whip an errant shot into the heather and it's like an Easter Egg hunt trying to find it. May not come out with your ball but find a half dozen others. 

On a side note, our Nicklaus golf club rep asked if I've been playing much golf (years ago) .I said not yet been turkey hunting. Asked me to send him a pic of a nice bird i had tipped over the day before. I emailed it to him. A week later and envelope comes in the mail. He had printed an 8 x 10" pic and it was signed by Jack Nicklaus. Said" Jay, that's a nice bird. Congrats  Jack Nicklaus." Jack is a huge hunter and learned he used to stay an extra day or two after an event to hunt. 

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 1

That's pretty cool.  Never figured any of the pros for hunters.  Golf takes way too much time to find a second hobby - unless you are extraordinarily gifted I guess.   I had to work way too hard to become even mediocre at golf. 

Oak Hill is great.  I played it the week after the Ryder Cup without the rough cut.  That was truly an adventure.  You really begin to understand why you can't advance from the rough, if you are lucky enough to find the ball.  The west is a great course too.  Most members say a 2-4 stroke difference, though.

Never played any courses in Buffalo, but if you are a golf fiend, Rochester has many great public and private courses.  I really enjoyed playing Greystone when I was interested.  Ravenwood is another great course.  Ever played Cobblestone - that is another really tough course.  I think they lost members from becoming frustrated there.

Almost makes me want to pick up a club again, almost.

Sorry to hijack - Nice 9 Bubba.