What do you carry when hunting?

Borngeechee

Toilet paper, don't leave home without it!

yep the blue shop towels are a good choice because they're not white like a deers tail and they're tough enough that you can moisten them with water and get squeaky clean!

My gear changes a lot depending on what I'm hunting , where I'm hunting, when in the season(early/mid/late) , how I'll be hunting(still/stand/stalk/drive), how far I'll be venturing from the Jeep, etc. I switch up tactics often and like to be prepared, but not bogged down with gear. The basics that always accompany me are license,cellphone, knife, lighter and usually some sort of call. If it's gun season, I'll always have hunter orange.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Edited by PREDATE

The right skills, and the right attitude!

A good compass, some water, and a knife.

I tend to keep it light. I can go back to the truck for anything else when the need arises.

Oh, and TP. Besides the obvious reason, it's great for marking blood trails and I don't have to go back and pick it up.

Please don't leave your plastic flagging tape in the woods. Even if I don't see it, my camera always does.

I'm only out from Before daylight till dark I end up only a mile or so deep most times so do not need much. I carry knife,tow rope,wet naps,tp,and 5 extra rounds. If my dad is going to be out I will take 2 way radio so he can get a hold of me if he needs to.

Items that is always in my bag.  All of these items fit into the small front pocket of my back pack and hardly weighs anything together.

2 AA batteries

Compass

GPS

zip ties

50 feet of paracord

drag rope

space pen

zip lock bag filled with cotton weed

zip lock bag with toilet paper

magnesium fire starter

lighter

tin can filled with cotton balls soaked in Vaseline

Havalon knife

multi-tool

mini-flashlight that uses the same battery as my GPS (AA so I don't have to carry multiple types as spares)

A bottle of water goes into a side mesh pocket.

In the main pocket, I carry a first aid kit.

Also in the main pocket I keep a binder filled with print outs of maps of areas I frequent, season dates, rules and regulations pertaining to the areas I hunt, special passes, etc.

Depending on the hunt, I bring extra items as needed.

• Like 1

Funny. Nobody brings any food when they hunt? I guess they eat what they find out there. :D

food? And taint our breath? No no! Especially this day in age with scent eliminating gum, pit stick and toothpaste. I give it 5 years and we'll be seeing scent eliminating enemas & lotion! HAHA!!!

I don't carry food, but sometimes I raid the candy dish for the blue raspberry jolly ranchers on my way out the door!

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Edited by PREDATE
  • Like 1

I don't know about others but I didn't say food because I am hunting not going on a picnic. If the question was what do you carry when on a picnic I would have said food. I can go 12 hours without food I did how ever forget to say a bottle of water.

I didn't list food because what I listed is what's in my bag at all times.  Regardless if it's an all day hunt or a quick hunt.  If it's an all day hunt, I'll bring a thermos filled with coffee, another filled with Campbell's Chunky Soup.  Maybe a couple of granola bars or a PB and J.

Multi pocket waterproof back pack which contains: TP, 50' para cord, 2 knives, hooymans extendable saw, binocs, 2 Sharpies, 1 pen, compass, butane lighter, misc deer calls, latex gloves, rangefinder, cover scent, wind checker, flashlight, Sagan saw, bottle of water, 2-3 protein bars, and diet mtn dew.