What would you do...

Borngeechee

What a tough decision. I have no idea whether I would like the meat or not. I probably would not really want to spend the money on a mount. I have no place for a bear rug. To my knowledge, we really don't have a huntable population in the immediate vicinity, and I wouldn't feel real good about shooting something that I don't feel exists in sustainable numbers yet.

Maybe the decision isn't so tough. The answer comes out to be a "I would let it pass".

Good night Mr. Bear - but I would not sit waiting for deer afterwards. Unlikely and too much work to get that boar out and cooled down.

Wont happen in 8H anyways.

There's bear here...had them behind my house. The breakfast joint has a few game cam pics of the one that's been seen residing in the area.

Don't be so negative, lol.

If a bear is shot, the #1 priority should be speedy recovery of that animal not shooting more.

totally agree. most of us spend a lot of days in the deer woods. To think shooting a bear isn't enough for a season or even a lifetime that you need to still wait so shoot some deer?

I love taking a deer. Means I can stop freezing my ass off in the stand. I can take my time and get him dressed and hung. The sooner they're dressed and hung the better the meat can be. Back to the barn for some coffee or beer and some story telling.

IDK, seems a little odd to shoot a big black bear and just leave it there...

After shooting, I'd leave it assuming opening day and enough time/people to get it out.

I've shot a few does in late morning opening day and regret letting my gun down and being midway down the stand and coming into eye lock with a shooter buck. Do I regret shooting the doe? No, but I should have stayed in the darn stand and had some patience. That meat isn't going to go bad that fast and isn't going to spoil. A bear, sure I can understand the meat concerns, but really it's not going to go bad in a few hours in mid-November for the most part. I don't think it is unethical. And really, I think if if got down and started getting it out, my hunting friends would be ticked as they'd want to be around for it...I know I would if one of mine shot one....that doesn't happen every day and I'd like to be there to celebrate with the hard work to do. I mean, how often are you going to help a buddy drag out a bruin. That's fun stuff, even if it is back-breaking work.

Edited by phade

I've gotten a few bears in my time....they are not that hard to get out to the woods. If you don't have an ATV the best option is to cape and quarter in the woods. Next best option is a heavy duty plastic sled http://www.amazon.com/Otter-Sport-Sled-Small-Black/dp/B002YBEG80

if ATV, caping and sled aren't your thing, a few guys with a cart or gurney. But one guy with a sled can get a bear out of the woods no problem

That meat isn't going to go bad that fast and isn't going to spoil. A bear, sure I can understand the meat concerns, but really it's not going to go bad in a few hours in mid-November for the most part. I don't think it is unethical.

I understand your logic, but the OP never specified gun or bow season. My statement was mostly geared towards bow season. I'm not suggesting that you heel-hound a bow shot bear and track it immediately after the shot, but sometimes you have to take a chance if you fear that the meat might spoil. Yes mid November would probably be fine for the meat, but early/mid October might be too warm. Bears don't cool down as fast as deer

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

After shooting, I'd leave it assuming opening day and enough time/people to get it out.

I've shot a few does in late morning opening day and regret letting my gun down and being midway down the stand and coming into eye lock with a shooter buck. Do I regret shooting the doe? No, but I should have stayed in the darn stand and had some patience. That meat isn't going to go bad that fast and isn't going to spoil. A bear, sure I can understand the meat concerns, but really it's not going to go bad in a few hours in mid-November for the most part. I don't think it is unethical. And really, I think if if got down and started getting it out, my hunting friends would be ticked as they'd want to be around for it...I know I would if one of mine shot one....that doesn't happen every day and I'd like to be there to celebrate with the hard work to do. I mean, how often are you going to help a buddy drag out a bruin. That's fun stuff, even if it is back-breaking work.

i guess i misunderstood the "keep hunting" comment then. Waiting an hour so isn't so bad. I wait a while anyhow to let a deer die if I didn't see it go down. I guess I read it as someone hunting quite a while longer. idk...

totally agree. most of us spend a lot of days in the deer woods. To think shooting a bear isn't enough for a season or even a lifetime that you need to still wait so shoot some deer?

I love taking a deer. Means I can stop freezing my ass off in the stand. I can take my time and get him dressed and hung. The sooner they're dressed and hung the better the meat can be. Back to the barn for some coffee or beer and some story telling.

IDK, seems a little odd to shoot a big black bear and just leave it there...

I don't think anyone is saying just leave it there, but if you know it's down for the count, and want to continue to sit, what's the big deal? I'm sure many bears have been recovered a few hours after being shot and not spoiled lol. In fact, on many guided hunts, you are required to sit in the stand and wait for the guide to come to you after you shoot something. That can take a while in some cases.

I would take the shot.

Can understand why some wouldn't and thats fine. But I do my own processing, got a sausage press etc. Game cart ready and plenty of wash / rinse water. Probably scratch hunting the next day to get processing work done. Where some might not have allot of extra days to hunt or just have other goals.

if I have the opportunity to take a bear I will, and I'll gladly lose a day or two of deer hunting to take care of it. I've killed more than enough deer so not taking another for one year won't really bother me too much, especially after having paid to go out of state bear hunting and not have taken one.