T-Handle Release

Elmo

Just switched last year, I will never go back.  Took about two target sessions to get used to it.  The best part is it is aways on the bow string, never have to look down to clip on release and if I have to move I can simply let go and not have to release and re-clip to string.  Also it doesn't interfere with coat sleeves and hand warmers on those cold days, which always drove me nuts.

A buddy just bought one and he isn't convinced that he's going to keep it yet though.  I'd suggest getting one and trying it out for yourself.

I started out using one 17 years ago. I don't use them anymore. Could you imagine dropping your release as a monster buck shows up? Besides, sometimes I get an itch on my nose while I'm at full draw! Try that with a T-handle Lol

My release goes on my wrist before I enter the woods and stays there til I leave. I tuck it up my sleeve while I climb so it's not clanking on the stand.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Edited by PREDATE
  • Like 1

so you are able to hook it on the string while in the stand? my biggest fear was losing it right at the worst moment. but from a stand point of gloves and coat sleeves it seems easier. I may have to pick up one and try it. good luck. 

Once I'm in the stand, the release never leaves the string. Clamps on just like a wrist strap style release, only reason it would come off is if you pull trigger.

Edited by jgsbucker

It will alter your current anchor. I tried one for a while and was very accurate with it for target practice, using back tension to trigger the release. It was fun and really teaches to pull through the shot. BUT, I could not switch back and forth to a wrist strap with consistency and I didn't want to have to punch the trigger on the t-handle at the moment of truth in the stand. I kept think about twisting around a tree, under branches, etc. and could not imagine doing that with the t-handle. For me, I gave up a small amount of accuracy for what I think will be more reliable under hunting circumstances. I could be wrong though and it may have worked out just fine.

Yes, the one I switched to has the thumb trigger.  I didn't even relize they made ones that were released only with back tension, I can see how could become problematic in hunting situations.

This is the release I have:

post-969-0-11334700-1408557075.jpg

Edited by jgsbucker

The thumb releases can still be shot with back tension, but allows you the option to punch if needed. That is what I was using and its not hard to learn back tension. rest thumb lightly on trigger AFTER you are anchored and then when you start to pull further, your thumb will automatically press the trigger. Truly a surprise shot, which is what you want. All that said, I still thought the wrist strap would be easier to maneuver in less that ideal shots.

You won't know if you like it 'til you try it and work with it. Borrow one from somebody and give it a try.

I've had a wrist-strap design for hunting for about twenty years now, but I liked the t-handle (non back-tension) when I shot indoor competition many years ago. Before all of that it was just finger tabs/gloves.

Confidence is everything when you're about to take the shot. Try everything, but use what you become comfortable with.

Good luck this year!

You're right sticking to one with a thumb trigger opposed to a hinge or pull weight style. As said anchor will be different compared to using index trigger release. Both can be punched and shot in correctly. Best to choose one and stick with it even if you have a bow set up for each.

I really don't like the strap being around my wrist but I know I'd drop a thumb release.

Those were my thoughts exactly before I bought it.  There is really no way to drop it if you just leave it attached to the string.   

Switched to a carter simple-1 three finger this year and ill never go back. I don't care what anyone says, you will shoot tighter, more consistent groups without a doubt. There's a reason target archers shoot thumb releases, they provide a more solid anchor point and make it easier to pull through your shot which makes for greater accuracy. Not to mention hanging it on your d-loop while in the stand completely frees up both hands instead of having a release hanging off of one of them. I made the switch because I was suffering from really bad target panic with my wrist strap release and my carter has completely cured me of it.

I really don't like the strap being around my wrist but I know I'd drop a thumb release.

TRU ball makes an adjustable lanyard for your wrist that attaches to release so it's not nearly as restricting as a Velcro or buckle wrist strap. Don't even feel it but it's there to catch the release if need be. Edited by dbHunterNY

I made the switch for target and plan to hunt with it this year. It will change your anchor and maybe your peep, so get one early and get setup. You really don't want it set light when starting out. I haven't shot out of a stand with it yet but don't anticipate any problems. Shooting uphill is a challenge

I always liked, and still use, the Fletchunter Concho release.  adjustable trigger, clip on the string, and you hold it with your full hand.  Very easy to draw with, and the head will rotate to help eliminate torque.  I carry 2 with me, just in case, but have seldom ever dropped one

post-633-0-01399600-1409759761.jpg

• 2 weeks later...