Baiting for deer

Doc

Yeah, guess you're right Doc, some guys just don't know how to do it.

Deer Feeder buck killed by yours truly. :taunt:

Congratulations on a nice looking buck and thank you, you just made my point. That also kind of shoots hell out of the argument that trophy deer simply won't show up at a feeder. And I assume the deer was taken in the daylight, so the idea of baiting success only happening at night doesn't seem to hold much water either.

It seems to me that if bait hunting were such a hit and miss affair, it wouldn't be much of a topic would it. Who the heck would want to do it if it didn't work ..... lol.

Congratulations on a nice looking buck and thank you, you just made my point. That also kind of shoots hell out of the argument that trophy deer simply won't show up at a feeder. And I assume the deer was taken in the daylight, so the idea of baiting success only happening at night doesn't seem to hold much water either.

It seems to me that if bait hunting were such a hit and miss affair, it wouldn't be much of a topic would it. Who the heck would want to do it if it didn't work ..... lol.

One week hunt...sat over wheat fields most of the week, saw tons of deer, but the rancher's rule was 3 1/2 YO or better. 4 sits at the feeders, saw a whopping 3 deer come to the feeder (but lots of turkeys), this was the only buck to come to the feeder, shot him on the last day. The rancher had never seen this buck on his camera at the feeder before I shot it. Right place, right time, I'd rather be lucky than good. L-O-L :D

Why do the pro deer exterminators do all of their shooting at night over a feeder?

Forget what you see on TV, those hunts are filmed at ranches that are private property (maybe even high fence), low hunting pressure, and the deer in most years depend on supplemental feeding to survive. Even then, they're nervous about coming out to the corn pile

No disrespect intended, but I'll take this a lot more seriously from someone who's baited & hunted over bait. We need to stick together, rather than spend so much time worrying about what the other guy is doing (providing they are following all the laws).

• Like 1

One week hunt...sat over wheat fields most of the week, saw tons of deer, but the rancher's rule was 3 1/2 YO or better. 4 sits at the feeders, saw a whopping 3 deer come to the feeder (but lots of turkeys), this was the only buck to come to the feeder, shot him on the last day. The rancher had never seen this buck on his camera at the feeder before I shot it. Right place, right time, I'd rather be lucky than good. L-O-L :D

Why do the pro deer exterminators do all of their shooting at night over a feeder?

Forget what you see on TV, those hunts are filmed at ranches that are private property (maybe even high fence), low hunting pressure, and the deer in most years depend on supplemental feeding to survive. Even then, they're nervous about coming out to the corn pile

No disrespect intended, but I'll take this a lot more seriously from someone who's baited & hunted over bait. We need to stick together, rather than spend so much time worrying about what the other guy is doing (providing they are following all the laws).

So basically your saying not to waste any time even thinking about hunting over bait because it just doesn't work? So why did the rancher even bother setting you up with bait? Why did he even buy a feeder? It's like I said above, if it didn't work, we wouldn't even be discussing it. Nobody would go for it.

In my 60 years of Hunting I never hunted over a bait pile. And most of the time I was got what I Hunted. Shooting an animal  over a bait pile is SHOOTING an animal attracted to the bait, IT IS Not Hunting an animal. 

This post should have been titled Shooting Over A Bait Pile.

In my 60 years of Hunting I never hunted over a bait pile. And most of the time I was got what I Hunted. Shooting an animal  over a bait pile is SHOOTING an animal attracted to the bait, IT IS Not Hunting an animal. 

This post should have been titled Shooting Over A Bait Pile.

Different, but not wrong. Trying to argue hunting vs. shooting is a poor attempt at trying to deflect the reality of the situation. Just because it is different doesn't mean it is wrong or not hunting. People baited long before compound bows, long before modern hunting. Bait is just another tool in the shed.

• Like 2

So basically your saying not to waste any time even thinking about hunting over bait because it just doesn't work? So why did the rancher even bother setting you up with bait? Why did he even buy a feeder? It's like I said above, if it didn't work, we wouldn't even be discussing it. Nobody would go for it.

Again, no disrespect, but I think that YOU are saying I said not to waste any time even thinking about hunting over bait because it just doesn't work.

My words were "it's not the slam dunk that those who are opposed to baiting think it is", and "USUALLY a mature deer smells a rat and hits the bait pile after dark". As mentioned, it will keep deer in the area, it provides supplemental (but not especially nutritious, in the case of corn) food, and sometimes you'll get lucky and an especially hungry doe or smaller buck will wander in, and even rarer still, a mature buck or doe will come in. And yes, guys will put a feeder on their land in the hopes that the deer won't wander onto someone else's property. But, turn out the lights, and watch the feeder....it will look like a buffet line.

You might have better luck setting up a few hundred yards away from the feeder during daylight, but even then, most deer know the drill.

• Like 1

I personally do not like framing the baiting question as being either right or wrong. I don't think it comes out to be that easy because of all the different cultural and heritage variations and even geographical variations. The quickest way for a discussion to get ugly real fast is to try to impose our versions of right and wrong on others.

I have a personal way of looking at hunting in my life. It doesn't allow for my training or conditioning wild animals for the convenience of my hunting success. That's my own rule and for me it makes up part of the definition of hunting in my world. I am not dumb enough to think that I have any lock on how hunting must be looked at and practiced by others. However, if somebody's baiting were affecting my hunting (and I believe there may be cases where that could happen), I probably would be a bit upset, and I make no apologies for that. That potential alone would tend to keep me in favor of keeping the practice illegal in NYS. I have no desire to be forced into baiting wars with neighbors. And the way the law is currently, that kind of conflict does not occur.

I will also admit to not having a lot of respect for hunting accomplishments that make use of shortcuts, but I do tend to keep that kind of judgment to myself.

Again, no disrespect, but I think that YOU are saying I said not to waste any time even thinking about hunting over bait because it just doesn't work.

My words were "it's not the slam dunk that those who are opposed to baiting think it is", and "USUALLY a mature deer smells a rat and hits the bait pile after dark". As mentioned, it will keep deer in the area, it provides supplemental (but not especially nutritious, in the case of corn) food, and sometimes you'll get lucky and an especially hungry doe or smaller buck will wander in, and even rarer still, a mature buck or doe will come in. And yes, guys will put a feeder on their land in the hopes that the deer won't wander onto someone else's property. But, turn out the lights, and watch the feeder....it will look like a buffet line.

You might have better luck setting up a few hundred yards away from the feeder during daylight, but even then, most deer know the drill.

Ok, then maybe we are in agreement. I don't think there is anything that is a "slam-dunk" when it comes to deer hunting unless you are hunting a guaranteed canned hunt. But I do see baited hunts as being a situation that definitely sets the odds considerably in favor of the hunter. Another way of putting it is it is a shortcut to success. But the real proof is in the pudding. If it is a practice that just plain doesn't work, nobody would be buying automatic feeders and bait. And I doubt that anyone can convince me that all these baited hunts that I see advertised are simply because the guide or outfitter just enjoys buying feeders and bait.

Fair enough, we all should have our standards, provided they are within the limits of the law. Again, like MANY of these discussions, nobody really winds up as winner of the debate club contest, and we wind up just being more separated, rather than united against those who want to take away our guns & hunting privileges. 

But, I will say, just like crossbows or Sunday hunting....those who say "I never", usually wind up eating their camouflage hat. :D

• Like 2

Not for me thanks. Ill take pictures of deer over bait, but I would not shoot an animal over bait that I left for them to eat in comfort. That's why I don't hunt Bear I guess. I cant shoot an animal that is treed either. Or baited. Im in NH and its legal for the first time this year with landowner permission to bait deer. But I wont be doing it.

Shooting a deer or any other animal over a bait pile is an Insult to the word Hunting and the True Hunters.

Is this sport getting like everything else in this world , Just sit on your fat butt and not work for what you need or want, put bait out and shoot an animal.Not for me in the few years I have left to enjoy HUNTING.

Shooting a deer or any other animal over a bait pile is an Insult to the word Hunting and the True Hunters.

Is this sport getting like everything else in this world , Just sit on your fat butt and not work for what you need or want, put bait out and shoot an animal.Not for me in the few years I have left to enjoy HUNTING.

Let me start off by saying that I wouldn't bait deer nor any other game animal.  With that being said your comment is another display of hunter's not being united.  You say it is an insult however, it's a method of hunting that has been long utilized in other states and in Canada for deer.  So by saying that it is an insult to the word Hunting, you in turn are insulting fellow hunters.

We need to remember that is wrong for some, is very right for others.   

• Like 2

Google the meaning of the word Hunting and you will see what I am saying is Correct.I could not give a hoot what they do in other states this is New York State, If you enjoy  Shooting an animal over Bait . go to that state and do it.Do not bring Bad habits here.  

I agree. I think the trend in hunting is away from challenge and more into the "Let's get this thing done and over with". Frankly, I think the DEC is getting in tune with that mentality also as they keep pushing for more efficient ways of wacking deer populations. I think they see a day when controlling deer populations through hunting may become more and more difficult. And so baiting will be getting to be increasingly attractive to them.

Amen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Everything you do, whether it be plant a fruit tree, food plot, whats planted in the ag fields you hunt near, dig a water hole, add a brush pile, etc etc etc can and will change a deer's habits. You being in the woods will alter their habits and patterns sooner or later.

In any case, you said you didnt think killing a deer that was eating was fair, I simply asked if you hunted food sources.

I didn't say killing a deer eating isn't fair, I just don't feel that it's natural and sporting. Do I use trail cams to scout? Sure, but more because I think it's fun and lifts my spirits when I'm not seeing deer. But woodsmanship is lost the more and more we rely on technology and the more we push to just get it done is sad. It's why baseball is losing fans. Society wants instant gratification. Hunting and fishing is not for you if that's what you're after. This is just my thoughts and I'm even hypocritical with some of the tech I use.

It's funny when I watch naked and afraid and the guy claims he's a hunter and they show pics of him with his rifle or compound. Your trail cams and compound aren't going to do shit for you on a deserted island. I'm not saying we should go all mountain man, but I do have a soft spot for old school hunting. Should I need to feed my family to survive, anything goes, at anytime of year. But that's not reality. Reality is that it's a sport and there needs to be some rules so we can all continue to enjoy it.

Edited by Belo

This needs to be rethought and you alluded to it. It's not antler obsession or at least it alone. Reduced time and increasing demands on the constantly reducing free time are a factor. Easier to hunt might be a goal from someone with less free time - and that's an overwhelming majority of hunters. Don't forget most licenses are bought by people who don't hunt that many days. They are a valuable portion of our ranks to help continue our ability to influence things (as much as possible given we are in NY here).

I actually think the "easier" part isn't as much about antlers as it is limited time.

But is it not the obsession that combined with the lack of time fueling the need to make it easier? Without the obsession you leave the woods happy to just have unplugged and enjoyed some time in the woods... I'm scouting public land this year for the first time I'm on my own. I have little times and it's been weekends only but I love just hiking with the dog and exploring. If it pays off and I harvest a deer without having been gifted the many proven stands handed down over the years in my family, the sense of accomplishment of shooting any deer, doing it 100% on my own will be worth it.

im not against it... with the number of guys doing it all over it doesn't make ones chance of taking a deer any better then the guy who doesn't. and if it was legal and everyone did it, well then killing deer wouldnt be as easy as some think as there would be bait piles EVERYWHERE.

if legal id do it as a supplemental tool and possibly for trail cam use preseason. i like putting in food plots to be honest tho. i get enjoyment out of food plots...

• Like 2

I was hunting Letchworth in a spot I hadn't hunted in over 20 years. Not only did I find a permitted stand I found corn under it. I called the DEC and had the officer meet me at the road, I showed the officer where the stand was I don't know if they caught anyone or not. But I didn't know the stand was there till I found it and I was hunting less then 50yds from it I could have been arrested for hunting over bait. Because of some scum bag.

Google the meaning of the word Hunting and you will see what I am saying is Correct.I could not give a hoot what they do in other states this is New York State, If you enjoy  Shooting an animal over Bait . go to that state and do it.Do not bring Bad habits here.  

Some of you guys wouldn't be so smart if it wasn't for your Google.

Sure wish we had some more guys here who shared what they've learned through hands on personal experiences, instead of what they learned through their keyboard searches.

This post is starting to make me wish the political posts would come back to the top,lol

• Like 4

I bait coyotes every year. My favorite time to do so is on the coldest nights. I'm talkin sub zero and beyond. I sit for hours in a treestand and strain my eyes in the darkness to catch a glimpse of movement against the snowy backdrop. If you think you have the constitution to do that, try it and tell me it's not hunting.

• Like 1

I was hunting Letchworth in a spot I hadn't hunted in over 20 years. Not only did I find a permitted stand I found corn under it. I called the DEC and had the officer meet me at the road, I showed the officer where the stand was I don't know if they caught anyone or not. But I didn't know the stand was there till I found it and I was hunting less then 50yds from it I could have been arrested for hunting over bait. Because of some scum bag.

Are you talking about loose corn dumped or corn cobs?  There is corn all over that park. I have seen cobs at the bottom of Helena.

I bait coyotes every year. My favorite time to do so is on the coldest nights. I'm talkin sub zero and beyond. I sit for hours in a treestand and strain my eyes in the darkness to catch a glimpse of movement against the snowy backdrop. If you think you have the constitution to do that, try it and tell me it's not hunting.

+1

I've spent 14 full days dark to dark hunting wolf over bait between Alberta and Ontario and never seen one. My dad was up over 30 full days and more provinces before connecting on 2 in B.C.

whitetail deer are easier to hunt over bait than many other animals. I think people give whitetails too much credit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

both loose and cobs the loose was piled the cobs were spread out deer don't usually  take the cobs with them. They usually eat the top ¼ and leave the cob on the stalk. Now raccoons will take the cob.

Edited by Larry