Baiting for deer

Doc

As long as I never get that "deer hoarding" mentality.. everything will be just fine... I really don't care much about the how, where and why others hunt... I learned a long time ago not to worry about things you can't control... and I don't

I often engage in some heavy introspection regarding my own hunting motives and feelings and how the various activities affect me and those around me. I try to get a handle on how my hunting activities are perceived by others as well. It's just a natural curiosity about all aspects of something that so central to my life.

Yet another stellar example of someone managing to manage deer yet against deer management and an organization with those words in it.

People who bait lack the skills or drive to hunt. Quality hunter management association says they should be culled from the sport

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't really get too excited about others getting involved in food plotting, unless their aim is to pull deer off a neighbor's property. No, legally there's nothing wrong with that idea, but there feels like something very wrong with one hunter trying to do that to another hunter. I have not encountered that situation where I am, but just like the potential of baiting wars, I can see food plot wars ..... lol. Those things are not attitudes that I like to see flourishing in hunting. It has led to a term that came to me called "deer hoarding". Sure the aggrieved neighbor can always retaliate with a super-food plot of his own. Is that kind of neighborly competition really a good thing? I suppose it's great for the deer ..... lol.

food plotting isn't exactly a cake walk. If you put the time and effort to attract and hold deer, than I don't see it as "taking deer" from your neighbor. Deer do not belong to anyone. They go where they want.

They go where they want.

They go where their needs are best met. (food,  unpressured cover, water). In the case of a buck in November , where the does are, seeking the mentioned 3 things. Provide the best of the 3...better than your neighbors, and your property will become will be most inviting.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

food plotting isn't exactly a cake walk. If you put the time and effort to attract and hold deer, than I don't see it as "taking deer" from your neighbor. Deer do not belong to anyone. They go where they want.

Of course there is no legal or criminal act, but if that is the intent, to intentionally draw deer off a neighboring hunter's property and if it is successful, it is the mindset that I am talking about, regardless of whether it is a cake walk or not. It could be that some people work very hard at screwing a neighbor.....lol. But then that's just the way I see it, and I would not really like to have it done to me. I guess we all see things differently when it comes to how we relate to each other. Fortunately, there is not much likelihood where I am, so it is not something that I have to worry about.

Of course there is no legal or criminal act, but if that is the intent, to intentionally draw deer off a neighboring hunter's property and if it is successful, it is the mindset that I am talking about, regardless of whether it is a cake walk or not. It could be that some people work very hard at screwing a neighbor.....lol. But then that's just the way I see it, and I would not really like to have it done to me. I guess we all see things differently when it comes to how we relate to each other. Fortunately, there is not much likelihood where I am, so it is not something that I have to worry about.

Can I hunt on your property this season???

Can I hunt on your property this season???

Not sure of the relevance of your question. My own property is really quite small and barring letting people hunt in my yard, I already allow several hunters access to my property in accordance with practicality and safety, and privacy. I have to say that you would be very disappointed if you were to just hunt my land .... lol. So if your intent is to imply that I try to corral deer on my own property for hunting reasons, the answer is no I do not. However, yes you are absolutely welcome to hunt the very same state land that I and who knows how many others already hunt. The same deer that I hunt, you are also welcome to hunt. I do not try to hoard any of them nor can I.

Doc, the point that I am trying to make is that most people work very hard to make their property better deer habitat. I  travel four hours every weekend, spend a fortune on gas and tolls, get three sits in and then turn around and head home.  The next opportunity I get to hunt is the following weekend due to my hectic work schedule.  So when I am hunting I want to see deer.  I don't feel bad if my neighbor is too lazy to spend the time over the summer cutting in trails, planting trees, and putting in food plots.   In regards to food plotters hoarding the deer, my friend and I bring up someone different with us every weekend to share in the experience and hopefully keep the tradition of hunting alive. I planted five acres of plots on 85 acres. Last year my father and a friend took a deer each.  I did not harvest a doe so they could.  

If its legal / ethical and will improve hunting for myself, family, and friends then I am ok with it!!

• Like 1

Of course there is no legal or criminal act, but if that is the intent, to intentionally draw deer off a neighboring hunter's property and if it is successful, it is the mindset that I am talking about, regardless of whether it is a cake walk or not. It could be that some people work very hard at screwing a neighbor.....lol. But then that's just the way I see it, and I would not really like to have it done to me. I guess we all see things differently when it comes to how we relate to each other. Fortunately, there is not much likelihood where I am, so it is not something that I have to worry about.

totally disagree still. I don't see it as intentionally trying to hurt a neighbor. That would be if you did things to HIS property. I look at is trying to better my odds. Maybe he chooses not to food plot, log his land, cut trails etc. These are not my problem or in my control. So I do not think he can be mad if I choose to better my chances. In the end the guy that owns 100 acres has a better chance than someone who owns 3. I cannot be mad at him for investing his money in land.

Now should your neighbor and you both be addicts, perhaps you sit down. Develop some QDM practices and rules for what you plant, what should be left alone sanctuary and what class deer and how many does can be harvested. Should he decline the opportunity than screw him :)

Doc, the point that I am trying to make is that most people work very hard to make their property better deer habitat. I  travel four hours every weekend, spend a fortune on gas and tolls, get three sits in and then turn around and head home.  The next opportunity I get to hunt is the following weekend due to my hectic work schedule.  So when I am hunting I want to see deer.  I don't feel bad if my neighbor is too lazy to spend the time over the summer cutting in trails, planting trees, and putting in food plots.   In regards to food plotters hoarding the deer, my friend and I bring up someone different with us every weekend to share in the experience and hopefully keep the tradition of hunting alive. I planted five acres of plots on 85 acres. Last year my father and a friend took a deer each.  I did not harvest a doe so they could.  

If its legal / ethical and will improve hunting for myself, family, and friends then I am ok with it!!

Don't worry, if you aren't there hunting over your five acres, I'm sure your neighbors are making good use of the food plots on your behalf, lol. JK.

I think this thread has run its course. So happy deer season is near.

totally disagree still. I don't see it as intentionally trying to hurt a neighbor. That would be if you did things to HIS property. I look at is trying to better my odds. Maybe he chooses not to food plot, log his land, cut trails etc. These are not my problem or in my control. So I do not think he can be mad if I choose to better my chances. In the end the guy that owns 100 acres has a better chance than someone who owns 3. I cannot be mad at him for investing his money in land.

Now should your neighbor and you both be addicts, perhaps you sit down. Develop some QDM practices and rules for what you plant, what should be left alone sanctuary and what class deer and how many does can be harvested. Should he decline the opportunity than screw him :)

I disagree on this part despite agreeing with you on the bettering your chance component. I'd take the right 3 acres over the wrong 100 any day of the week. Size while seemingly a major determination, isn't always THE most determining factor to success or ability.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

Ha-ha.....I had no intention of taking on the whole food-plot contingent of this forum....lol. But I am simply trying to explain the personal doubts that I have about this whole concept of creating conditions better than your neighbor's strictly for the purpose of drawing his deer away from him and onto your own protected property. It is simply a mindset and motivation that just doesn't sit well with me. I am not starting a campaign to outlaw food plots ....lol. It is a personal reaction to the process and an explanation of why, even if I did have the space, time and money, I probably wouldn't personally get involved with it.

I probably should explain a hunting mindset that I have grown up with that says that I hunt the deer (or whatever) exactly as I find them and do not condition them to accommodate my hunting. I view them as wild critters that I study and learn and then hunt without treating them in any way as livestock. That philosophy is not for everyone, but it is the way that I approach my hunting. By not getting into the business of conditioning my prey, I also extend that same potential to my neighbors without forcing them to take defensive moves to keep a huntable population on their properties. It is another one of those personal ethics things that we were just talking about in another thread ..... not for everybody, but a personal code that rattles around in my own brain.

A neighboring hunting club spends over $ 30,000 in food plots every year both to draw deer and for QDM. Last year my son and daughter both shot 8 pointers on our land with no food plots one of those was a monster. Deer that we never even had trial cam pictures of!! What we had was a bunch of does on our land. When they came into heat the bucks came. Of course we were accused of baiting and that club and anybody else for that matter was told to come check out our land for said plots with no takers.LOL Funny how a deer will make fools out of grown men!!

A neighboring hunting club spends over $ 30,000 in food plots every year both to draw deer and for QDM. Last year my son and daughter both shot 8 pointers on our land with no food plots one of those was a monster. Deer that we never even had trial cam pictures of!! What we had was a bunch of does on our land. When they came into heat the bucks came. Of course we were accused of baiting and that club and anybody else for that matter was told to come check out our land for said plots with no takers.LOL Funny how a deer will make fools out of grown men!!

I think that it is impossible to pull every deer from neighboring properties simply by creating  specialized food sources. Without high fences, deer do meander around for reasons other than food. But yes, it does always amaze me how these confrontations and cross-allegations seem to arise out of all these modern-day attempts at manipulating herds. Somehow, none of that nonsense feels like it has or should have anything to do with hunting. But like I said that is just personal feelings and opinion and is different for each hunter.

I've never illegally baited, or used food plots in NY. This year I used a bag of throw and grow that I gotten for free years ago. I kicked around some leaves and threw it down. It grew and now deer come to it every single day according to my cams. Unfortunately, the "food plot" is tiny like 5 feet by 2 feet lol. Part of me feels like I'm baiting illegally. It was the same amount of work that it would take to throw corn or apples. I guess it's different in my area (3N) where there are no food plots, farms, etc. the deer here eat acorns, flowers from people's yards and tree bark lol.

These deer are even coming during daylight just to eat this grasslike "food plot"

post-871-14108703107702_thumb.jpg

post-871-14108703266112_thumb.jpg

post-871-14108703417672_thumb.jpg

post-871-14108703523879_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I had to laugh!!! A couple days ago I saw a guy, in GM, with a shopping cart overflowing with bags of deer corn, acorn rage, deer blocks and a few gallons of some liquid stuff. He even had the bottom rack of the cart full. It had to cost him a fortune.  Teetering on top of the pile was a new tree stand. All I could picture was the guy sitting in the stand with piles of that stuff poured out in a big circle, all the way around his tree…LOL!! It was a sight….

They go where their needs are best met. (food,  unpressured cover, water).

X2, There is a thick area on my property that a group of deer bed in most of the day ,the get up a few times and brose on the natural vegitation around them.In the late afternoon the walk out into the clearings that I made by cutting down trees for firewood and planted grasses in thoes spots, then they move on to my neighbors property and keep going from one to another. ( and as I am typing this ) Mom and her 2 young ones just walked threw the back yard headed to the bedding area.

I have seen the same deer a mile an a half down the road eating on other peoples front lawns and drinking water from there ponds.

Does this mean the whole neighborhood is baiting the deer because they improved there property by clearing land and planting grasses in the cleared areas.

And what about the people that spend $ XXX  a month on corn and other grains and put them out on there property just so they can see some deer and turkeys all year long ( not legal in New York ) but they still do it every day.

I disagree on this part despite agreeing with you on the bettering your chance component. I'd take the right 3 acres over the wrong 100 any day of the week. Size while seemingly a major determination, isn't always THE most determining factor to success or ability.

as I typed that I was going to elaborate as I agree but didn't want to type a book. haha.

Ha-ha.....I had no intention of taking on the whole food-plot contingent of this forum....lol. But I am simply trying to explain the personal doubts that I have about this whole concept of creating conditions better than your neighbor's strictly for the purpose of drawing his deer away from him and onto your own protected property. It is simply a mindset and motivation that just doesn't sit well with me. I am not starting a campaign to outlaw food plots ....lol. It is a personal reaction to the process and an explanation of why, even if I did have the space, time and money, I probably wouldn't personally get involved with it.

I probably should explain a hunting mindset that I have grown up with that says that I hunt the deer (or whatever) exactly as I find them and do not condition them to accommodate my hunting. I view them as wild critters that I study and learn and then hunt without treating them in any way as livestock. That philosophy is not for everyone, but it is the way that I approach my hunting. By not getting into the business of conditioning my prey, I also extend that same potential to my neighbors without forcing them to take defensive moves to keep a huntable population on their properties. It is another one of those personal ethics things that we were just talking about in another thread ..... not for everybody, but a personal code that rattles around in my own brain.

I feel the same. What I struggle with when it comes to food plots is when it comes to the group of apple trees I hunt near, or the farm I used to hunt. I too however enjoy the "unaltered" hunt. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to clear the tree that fell across a run near my favorite stand. idk, time is precious.

Edited by Belo

If you have doubts then don't hunt it. Back out a little and hunt the  trails leading to it or around it.

I'm sure the couple of square feet of grass will be eaten and gone 6 weeks from now.  UNLESS I THROW/PLANT MORE LOL

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld