Thermacell

Doc

I now have one of these units, but have some questions. With the upcoming bow season, I see the early opener as maybe needing some help to keep my sanity while on stand. Besides the trickle of sweat running down my back, I wouldn't be surprised if I might have a generous supply of mosquitos swarming around my head. So here are some important questions that may determine if I really go out or not:

1.     Do they work?

2.     Is there any detectible scent emanated by these things that could reach out and tip off approaching deer?

3.     What kind of radius do they provide protection?

4.     Are they affected by light wind?

They work

Yes there is a smell, but hunt the wind like you should any other time

Depends on the wind...wndy days is less protection area but usually less skeeters, too. On a still day, you won't need to worry in the stand with it.

Yes

Buy a leafy suit to go over your hunting clothes. I find them to be very effective at preventing skeeters in stand.

I have 4 of them & always have one with me

Yes they work well up to a light breeze  radius is as stated 15ft

there is a scent to it but does not seem to be that strong & have not noticed it affect deer

carry mine  Spring turkey season through late Sept Archery

Bring it with me in late Oct NY hunting though never needed it

Greatest thing since sliced bread crossbows. Sorry, couldn't resist. :nono:

Imagine the vapor being emitted from the ThermaCell to be like the smoke from a smoldering fire. Can compensate somewhat for breeze by putting unit slightly upwind from you. Since the magic vapors are invisible, have to assume they ascend upwards like with thermals. Meaning, if you attach unit above your head, you may not be getting max benefits.

I try to put unit inside my jacket when firing it up to muffle the clicking sound of the igniter. BTW - takes a few minutes to develop the envelope of protection.

Wicks have a listed, usable service life. Longer you use wick, less effective it is. If yours didn't come with the holster, get one. Has pockets for spare fuel & wicks and a belt that works great for securing to a tee, hanging from a stand, etc. Just grab it & you're ready to go!

They do have earth scent wicks. Pretty sure if we had the nose of a deer, it'd smell like the basic wick with a masked chemical odor. Using a ThermaCell during early deer season is a trade-ff. You can fire it up, be semi-bug free and possible have a deer detect the odor of the unit. Or...get eaten alive! Or...wear a head net!

ThermaCells work! They have visible results, unlike the mystical Ozonics.

Edited by nyslowhand

7 glowing reviews and no negatives huh?  So unlike this website....lol.

A close friend of mine absoltuely positively swears by them.  He talked me into getting one prior to turkey season this year.  I used it turkey hunting and as far as I can tell, it worked (or maybe it was a light day for skeeters).

The TRUE test however is our annual fishing trip to northern Canada.  The bugs there are SO thick sometimes they dim out the sun.  We brought 2 of them up with us to test their limits.  After a good day of fishing when you want to sit outide with a cigar and a cocktail, you can literally be carried away. 

We fired them up, one on each side of our group of 6 to create a 30 foot bubble and.....got eatin alive!!  lmao. 

I suppose they are so hungry up there it is like the dog who is ok with the shock to excape the invisible fence.....just an inconvenience.

I believe, like most products, things work in moderation.  Just keep that in mind.  Nothing is a miracle worker that is going to suddenly rid the earth of mosquitos or black flies.

I have encountered the infamous mosquitos and black flies of Northern Ontario during a remote fishing trip one summer. It has left a huge impression on me that is still just as vivid today. I can't imagine that any product could get the best of those critters.

The Earth scent I can smell.  It has a funny smell.  I don't think it smells like the Earth at all.  The regular wick I can hardly smell.  I tested it out last turkey season.  I had it on and had no bug around me.  I decided the bugs aren't bad so I turned off. Thinking it was a waste.  Man in 5 minutes I couldn't turn it on fast enough.  IT WORKS !!

• Like 1