Looking for 60 yard range nyc area

DirtyDan

What make you think you can shoot 60yd's at a 9” target with a hunting head with only 3 weeks before the season. Try 20 or 30 yards first I'm willing to bet you haven't shot more then 50 arrows in the last year. :nono:

What makes you assume i haven't, why else would I ask about a longer range.

• Like 1

I tried slinging some arrows at 50 yards last night and guess what! I lost some arrows! lol why the hell would you even try taking a shot at 50 yards with a bow? You really want to take a chance of injuring that animal and causing extreme amounts of pain and a slow death?  If your bow hunting its about getting close that's what makes it so difficult.  There is just too much that can go wrong at 50 yards with an arrow.  Could I make the shot yea im sure I could but I would never let one fly without 100% knowing im gonna hit that animal.  If I miss I want to be like WHAT THE HELL!!! Freakin out in my tree stand because I knew my form was in check as well as my equipment and I just missed due to some good ole buck fever! Not omg I hit em in the foot at 60 yards...oh well....

Many archers can hit 50+ yards every time.  Because YOU can't THEY shouldn't?

Not to mention nobody mentioned shooting a deer at that range.

I have a 50 and 60 yard pin and shoot at those ranges. It's FUN! No I have never shot a animal at that distance. However my brother did put a second arrow in a deer ay 55 yards. He could because he practiced it.

• Like 1

I tried slinging some arrows at 50 yards last night and guess what! I lost some arrows! lol why the hell would you even try taking a shot at 50 yards with a bow? You really want to take a chance of injuring that animal and causing extreme amounts of pain and a slow death? If your bow hunting its about getting close that's what makes it so difficult. There is just too much that can go wrong at 50 yards with an arrow. Could I make the shot yea im sure I could but I would never let one fly without 100% knowing im gonna hit that animal. If I miss I want to be like WHAT THE HELL!!! Freakin out in my tree stand because I knew my form was in check as well as my equipment and I just missed due to some good ole buck fever! Not omg I hit em in the foot at 60 yards...oh well....

Maybe he is practicing for a trip out west, where. 40-60 yard shots are commonplace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frankly, I do believe that some people think that whatever stationery target they can hit under the controlled conditions of the archery range can be reliably duplicated in a hunting situation. And by golly sometimes people do get lucky and all the conditions of the hunt happen to line up for them and they manage to pull off some amazing shot. The wisdom of understanding that a bow is a short range weapon sometimes comes only after enough failures have occurred.

However, I don't recall QueensOutdoorsman saying anything about taking hunting shots at that distance. The only thing I read was about "practice". I too like to take practice shots at long distance. In fact while involved in NFAA target archery, we had an 80 yard shot as part of the format. Long distance target shooting is fun. Also, when you have built up confidence on long shots, it makes the ones at more realistic distances seem easy.

hey another queens hunter you shoot @proline in ozone park? cedar creek in valley stream has outdoor field archery idont know the yardages though the guys @ proline would know

I've only been shooting at queens archery out in flushing I haven't gotten a chance to make it to pro line yet maybe I'll go check them out today.

As everyone says I'm not planning on taking a deer at 60 yards just want to get some confidence in different ranges instead of being dead accurate at 20 yards and nothing else.

I should of asked for a range longer then 20 yards because everyone is over looking what I asked and is just assuming I'm trying to become a 60 yard warrior

As someone stated earlier, Blue Mountain in Westchester gives you the opportunity to shoot out to 50. Also you could do the 3D range which has many shots out to that. Be forewarned, the range is in real bad shape, targets suck and you run the risk of damaging your arrows.

I was there last sunday, but the good news is their only charging half price, $8, as a result. its worth it.

BTW, fellow Queens hunter, proline is decent but they can get a bit packed. I haven't been to Queens Archery, do you recommend?

Edited by vincy

Another reason why I practice at longer ranges is simply to keep my practice sessions interesting. Repeatedly shooting the short distances gets a little boring and cuts the practice sessions shorter than if I step back a ways and try more challenging shots. Sometimes I get right off my range entirely and start to walk around without any yardage stakes. This puts me shooting some extreme uphill and downhill shots because my range is chopped into a very steep hill behind the house. But the point is, that practicing shots that I never will take, along with the usual standard shots, keeps the practice session interesting and results in more hours on the range.

As someone stated earlier, Blue Mountain in Westchester gives you the opportunity to shoot out to 50. Also you could do the 3D range which has many shots out to that. Be forewarned, the range is in real bad shape, targets suck and you run the risk of damaging your arrows.

I was there last sunday, but the good news is their only charging half price, $8, as a result. its worth it.

BTW, fellow Queens hunter, proline is decent but they can get a bit packed. I haven't been to Queens Archery, do you recommend?

I would recommend queens archery only thing is they open late on week days and out of the two days there's leagues but of you get there when they open or early on weekend it's pretty empty. 12$ if you have your own bow

As mentioned earlier, Willowbrook Park in SI has a public outdoor range that I know for certain you can shoot up to 60 yards at.

It is free, BYOT, and open from 9 to dusk (people can use the space as a dog run from 7 to 9AM).

And no crossbows allowed.

There is also a carousel, a bbq area and a little lake that has a lot of wildlife in and around it, in case you want to bring the family with you. 

Edited by Sogaard

I shoot with field tips out to 80 yards. I'd say I'm reliably accurate at 70, I can hit dart balloons out that far. But broadheads are a different animal. My G5's are pretty fuzzy in the air and the smallest little twitch or error in my right hand's lock up and I'm off. I do agree though with @Sogaard, in order to set up my HHA Optimizer single pin sight, you NEED to be able to shoot reliably at 60, it's part of the setup process to get the sight set up properly.

Also, once I got used to shooting at 60/70/80 and the nervousness I feel and seriousness I feel about movement, moving back in to 50 / 40 / 30 / 20 makes all those other ranges feel very very easy. And under the pressure of hunting I'd like to think that that helps stay calm and also will help at closer more ethical ranges.

Would I take a 70 yard shot at a deer? Probably not, I don't shoot that far with my broadheads ... But I was in the woods last weekend in the Catskills for early bear, and I created a scent pile with some logs across a meadow and it was a 45 yard shot. Would I take that? Hell yes, closer than that to a bear on the ground feels pretty face to face.

Overall though, pushing one's limits be that physical or range distance I think will make me a better sportsman. That's my process, we can all do what feels right for us.

Also, +1 for the Staten Island range. Wonderful spot with some cool people willing to share tips if you're nice and courteous, just pick up your garbage / balloons if you shoot there, it's getting messy!

Edited by Futuretrash