Wonder if they thought this would happen?

Seem"s the game is slow on people applying for doe tag's. Maybe they will just double the number of tags giving away next year?

Hunters Encouraged to Apply Early for Deer Management Permits

The Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) reminded hunters to apply for deer management permits (DMPs) this week, ahead of the October 1 deadline, DEC Commissioner Joe Martens announced today.

"In addition to providing enjoyable days afield with family and friends and sustainably harvested food on the table, recreational deer hunting is our most effective deer population management tool," said Commissioner Martens. "Hunters are eligible to apply for up to two deer management permits once they have secured a hunting license, allowing them to harvest antlerless deer to keep deep populations in line with established objectives."

DEC's wildlife biologists carefully analyze harvest information in conjunction with deer population objectives, developed with valuable input from citizen task forces, to establish deer management permit quotas for each Wildlife Management Unit (WMU). WMUs are the geographical units DEC uses to set hunting and trapping seasons in New York State.

New York hunters can apply for up to two deer management permits once they have secured a hunting license. DEC's computerized licensing system allows hunters to immediately learn the outcome of their permit application. The likelihood that a hunter will be selected for a permit is largely based on the number of deer management permits to be issued in a Wildlife Management Area and the number of hunters that historically apply for those permits. To date, applications for deer management permits have been slightly lower than in previous years.

"Deer management permits for the 2014-15 hunting season have been available since the first week of August and we want to encourage hunters to apply for deer management permits in advance of the October 1 deadline," Commissioner Martens said.

I never understood how the "lottery" actually worked. If I apply and get denied from a low probability unit, does that mean the unit is closed? Or is it possible for someone else to apply at a later date and get it? How do you conduct a lottery without all participants enrolled at the same time?

• Like 1

I never understood how the "lottery" actually worked. If I apply and get denied from a low probability unit, does that mean the unit is closed? Or is it possible for someone else to apply at a later date and get it? How do you conduct a lottery without all participants enrolled at the same time?

you can get denied and the guy after you in line can apply for the same unit and get it. I believe they historically know how many apply for a unit. They know how many they want to issue. Say they want 10,000 tags for an area and they normally get 20,000 applicants, the computer will handle it "Randomly". ( I think every other  one that applies gets them ) I do know people that were initially denied and then in the mail the tags showed up because the area was under applied for.

• Like 1

Is it really a coincidence that DMP applications fall at the same time that they start charging for that application? The fact that they are surprised is what I find shocking. The government has made an art out of diminishing certain public behaviors via taxation (cigarettes, booze, gas, etc.). So why be surprised that this kind of taxation of DMP applications is having the same result.

• Like 1

Is it really a coincidence that DMP applications fall at the same time that they start charging for that application? The fact that they are surprised is what I find shocking. The government has made an art out of diminishing certain public behaviors via taxation (cigarettes, booze, gas, etc.). So why be surprised that this kind of taxation of DMP applications is having the same result.

They didnt just start charging for them this year.

They didnt just start charging for them this year.

I believe that last year was the first year of charging for applications in recent years. I think I remember a bunch of years back when you had to send in a check with the permit application. But then we were talking some very different numbers of permits that they wanted to dump out there too.

Kinda sound like less hunters= less tags that will be gave out.

So what is the latest in the hunter numbers? First I hear that hunting is on the rocks because there is a mass exodus of hunters. Then I hear that's all bunk, hunter numbers are actually going up. Anybody know what the latest studies are claiming?

I seem to remember paying for them for the last couple of years. I could be mistaken. Regardless, its not a new thing this year.

I think part of the issue may be the way the license structure is this year. It used to be easy to go in and say I want everything, now you have to list it all out. Not a big deal to me, but I have heard plenty of guys complaining about it.

I seem to remember paying for them for the last couple of years. I could be mistaken. Regardless, its not a new thing this year.

I think part of the issue may be the way the license structure is this year. It used to be easy to go in and say I want everything, now you have to list it all out. Not a big deal to me, but I have heard plenty of guys complaining about it.

Yeah, I could be remembering wrong....lol. It wouldn't be the first time, and it seems to happen a lot more as time goes on. But I would have sworn that last year when non-refundable charges for merely applying was started, there was a big controversy and it was a first in a bunch of years.

I haven't even gotten my license yet, with all the press on how the system was screwed up. Probably next week. I bet a lot of hunters held off. I have spent too much time in those lines with a clerk at the end that just can't figure the process out.

That could be. I know when I heard how screwed up the system was, I delayed going after my DMPs several days just to give them time to iron out some more difficulties.

They have charged for them for around 5 years or so. I bought my lifetime license the last year where they offered the free DMP permits with the lifetime license. Now if you buy a lifetime license you still have to pay for the permits.

See, I told you my memory wasn't the best. I would have sworn that last year was the first year for the $10 application fee. How time flies when you're having fun.

I think that press release has more to do with the fact that they are having problems with the new computer system and they don't want a crash when people make a mad dash to get DMPs at the last second. Hence, "apply early". I doubt there will still be a significantly low Number of applicants compared to last year when all is said and done. I live in the lands of DMP galore, and I am a newish hunter, I have never gotten a free DMP, then again I usually end up with 4 total by nov 1st for various units. As much as I would like to see hunting fees go down, I can't say the 10 bucks for multiple DMPs every year is a bad investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Jmythngdmb