NFA-ADK

NFA-ADK

Well it has been a few years since I actually posted on here.  I just finished a seminar on deer hunting for new hunters at our archery club.  Sad as I handed out multiple flyers to all the bow/gun shops in the area and try to spread the word.  Even after handing out over 150 flyers only about 20 people showed up.  So sad to see so few showing interest in hunting.  Good news is the few people who came to the event seemed very happy about what we taught.  Just wish we could get more interest!  

We lost some good people over the last few years in our camp and did not make it up last year to the big woods of the Adirondacks.  Previous year (2021) was a disaster to say the least! Trying to keep the camp life going and we are planning on going up again to Moose River Plains as we typically do and see if I can get one of them into a deer this year!  Hopeing I can get one of my hunting partners to shoot the venison this year on Long Island before we hear up.  

Re-introduction:  I posted on here for years and really enjoyed the people and conversations.  

I started in 1988 in the catskills and then progressed to the big woods of the ADK.  I started bow in 2000 and picked it back up in 2010.  I typically only hunt public land on Long Island and really enjoy the chase and learning.  I have hunted western NY, Catskills mainly Roscoe and Prattsville but hit many other areas as well.  We hunted Long Lake, Indian Lake, Tupper Lake, Lake Pleaseant and many area's in between.  We now typically go to Moose River Plains and setup a wall tent for the week and sometimes I stay for an additional week, usually solo.  

Hope everyone is doing well and happy to be back!  Looking forward to another season and all the crazy post we love to talk about! 

• Like 4

Good to see you (fasteddie and airedale) are still here!  Hope you both are doing well!  

We had a good time talking deer, I have to try to keep it on a timeline.  (I can talk deer for hours!) I check my hightlight notes then basically do it by memory and try to cram as much in as possible without overloading them.  So much to cover in a three and a half hour period. 

On 8/22/2023 at 7:20 AM, NFA-ADK said:

We now typically go to Moose River Plains and setup a wall tent for the week and sometimes I stay for an additional week, usually solo. 

What time of year do you go up? Making my first ADK excursion this weekend and was thinking about doing a little scouting while there "just in case".

Do they timber harvest in the ADK's at all? I'd be focusing on 2ish year cuts if they do. A lot of my hunting in AL is on state land and you get a lot of activity around that stuff vs. the generic big woods. Is there any hunting pressure in the ADKs?

Edited by AuburnNYC
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2023 at 5:30 PM, AuburnNYC said:

What time of year do you go up? Making my first ADK excursion this weekend and was thinking about doing a little scouting while there "just in case".

Do they timber harvest in the ADK's at all? I'd be focusing on 2ish year cuts if they do. A lot of my hunting in AL is on state land and you get a lot of activity around that stuff vs. the generic big woods. Is there any hunting pressure in the ADKs?

November 4th we will look for a camp site, the guys will stay for a few days, I will probably be solo after that.  How long depends on work, weather, and I still need a truck so possibly a rental. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I haven't been to a deer siminar since 2011 down in Arcade New York.  I don't remember the guest speaker.  I've gone to the Medina , New York one a while back when Team Fitzgerald were guest speakers. Both places were packed. I don't know the extent of your finances. Just an idea on a guest speaker. I know in talking to them, both down to earth guys. They talk to everyone at the event.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter