Three legged buck ? Or doe or ?

luberhill

49 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Don’t u see balls ??

One of the advantages of a 27inch computer screen instead of dicking around squinting at a photo on a phone, I blew the photo up and not only do I think I see balls I also believe that Deer has antlers.

Al

• Like 2

I'm not sure just how rare a three legged deer really is. I shot a 3-legged doe a bunch of years ago, and she was fatter than an old hog. I had seen her all through the summer, and was feeling sorry for her so I decided to purposely target her. As it turned out, there was no need to waste any sympathy on that one. She spent all of her time down in the thicket in front of the house and had a regular routine of coming out every evening to feed in a small field  next to the thicket. While butchering her I found the heaviest layer of fat that I have ever seen on a deer. I figured the reason for that was that she probably never went up on the hill and kept her movements down to  an easy routine down in the valley bottom. Nobody ever pushed her down in that thicket. She was likely living a life of leisure. The  cut on the leg was about 4" down from the elbow on her left front leg, and a patch of black skin that looked like the bottom of dog's paw.

When you think about it, it is possible to blow legs clean off or held on with a little skin that eventually parts. Also it is not completely rare that fawns laying in hay lots get caught up in mowers. I imagine that as long as they have 3 good legs, they likely have a reasonable survival rate.

Tough critters aren't they?

• Like 3

I had a big buck come by years back on opening day. His front left leg was shot off and just dangling. He came right under my stand and my gun jammed. I just watched him hobble off into the Pine thicket. I always wondered what happened to it. We never saw it again. I guess the lucky ones get by that winter and do ok. Others probably probably have a harsh first winter or meet up with coyotes and die.