Warmest clothes ?

luberhill

It's hard to enjoy sitting out there if your cold. I have a pretty good system that works well on cold days. The main defense is the disposable hand and toe warmers, good wicking base layers and the MVP * the Heater Body Suit *

Walking in I'm wearing wool base layers, wool pants and medium weight jacket, 1000 thinsulate boots, wool socks. A light wool hat, light gloves.

I pack in an extra heavy weight shirt, extra warm hat, neck gator, balaclava, hand warmers and the heater body suit.

Once I get in my stand, I slip into the HBS, deploy the hand warmers, put on the extra stuff to keep my head warm and I'm good for the day. Comfortable and can sit all day in cold weather.

Stay away from cotton and use wool and wicking layers, add a neck gaiter and good warm hats. Put toe warmers in each boot and have some extra hand warmers. That will help a lot.

• Like 1

I bought an Arris heated vest a couple of years ago and it really makes a big difference on cold days. You can set the heat on different warming levels and different zones on the front and rear of the vest. The battery is rechargeable and will last a long time and you can buy an additional battery and place it in your pocket. I wear the vest under an insulated hunting parka. In addition to layering with insulated clothing I wear a warm neck gaiter and facemask on cold days and have found they are a great help as you do not want to leave bare skin exposed to the cold.

It is hard to stay warm when sitting in cold weather for long periods of time no matter what you wear. Rule number one is to stay away from cotton garments. I do not have any experience with the electric warmed clothing but from what I hear it is probably your best bet. The chemical hand-toe warmers work great also for sitting. Top quality down filled clothing is the warmest I think but it's bulky loft makes it cumbersome for the movement I want when hunting. Good quality wool hunting clothing-socks-underwear in different weights has served me well, also like a layer of thin poly against my skin to wick sweat. I am not much for sitting long periods of time so I stay warm.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

Ditch the jeans and sweats. Cotton, holds moisture and is a poor insulator anyway. You will do better get a set of inexpensive synthetic fleece sweat pants/top to wear instead.   I love my balaclava, which I wear my hat under...you lose more heat from your head and neck than anywhere else. Be sure to sit on a foam cushion. If it is down into the twenties, I drop some of the disposable toe warmers in my boots (again....with socks NEVER COTTON) ....I thought it was goofy when I got it, but a hand muff is great...keep a hand warmer in it. Eventually with inactivity you get cold... within reason, get used to it. I was talking with a couple of Amish fellows at Bass Pro a few years ago, and asked what they wore hunting....Thier traditional wool/cotton work coats, etc. I asked how they kept warm? They chuckled and said..." We dont stay warm...".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, luberhill said:

So would sweat pants be warmer than jeans over my long John’s and under my bibs ?

ANYTHING is warmer than jeans. No insulating value.  Wool is king, I agree, but I have several pairs of poly/fleece sweat pants that are thick and warm. The thickness/loft of a material is its warmth.. Fleece and the synthetics do not hold the moisture...sweat, etc.  I wear one midweight pair of long underwear which fits close to the skin, then the thick heavy pair, with a shell outside. My treasure is a set of Cabelas heavy weight poly fleece pants with suspenders. I paid five bucks a a garage sale for them....they were probably close to a hundred bucks new. If you can find something like these in a bib style you are way ahead for covering the vital kidney areas and sealing out the drafts. 

• Like 1

I used to favor wool until I found out I was allergic to it.

My neck would be red and raw by the end of opening day.

Been using thermal layers with fleece and a thin jacket since getting a warm bag(Now out of business) over a decade ago.

No sweating while walking to the tree stand or blind and then putting the heavy layers on after climbing in a tree or blind only to have my toes freeze an hour later.

Tried the heater body suit and it was too big and noisy, and my feet still froze.

I sit in my stands till the cows come home in total comfort.

The only thing that sucks is that I have to get out of it !

They make half bags with suspenders now to keep your feet and legs warm, but they don't compare to the warm bag.

It's alien technology and I hope the men in black don't come and confiscate mine or I'll give up deer hunting !

SJC

I have a camo Milwaukee heated jacket and a Milwaukee heated hoodie . I wear one or the other when it's cold weather . I have extra batteries for them . As for my feet , nothing works . I have Neuropathy and my feet always feel cold even in warm weather . Heated insoles do nothing as they aren't necessarily cold to the touch . They just feel cold .

• Like 2

I don't know how wearing a plastic bag can keep you warm.  I spent bucks, some years ago on a set of thermal coveralls. Now that keeps me toasty warm. Layers of clothing underneath. Wool socks keep my toes from falling off, until my feet sweat, then that ends that. My fingers, all bets are off with those.

28 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

I don't know how wearing a plastic bag can keep you warm.  I spent bucks, some years ago on a set of thermal coveralls. Now that keeps me toasty warm. Layers of clothing underneath. Wool socks keep my toes from falling off, until my feet sweat, then that ends that. My fingers, all bets are off with those.

Here's how to keep your fingers warm. Get a good insulated hand warmer muff and put a couple of Hot Hands hand warmers inside. Then wear a pair of light gloves and keep your hands inside the muff until you need to take them out. The hand warmer muff goes around your waist with a strap and will not be in your way. I tried everything else under the sun and this was the only thing that really worked. As a popular saying goes "try it you'll like it." Good luck.

71i4V7mv2OL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.webp

Edited by CharlieNY

I have a pair of blaze orange camo pattern trousers that I use to wear . They have a polyester lining . When I would wear them over my trousers , my legs would perspire and my trousers would get damp . Defeated the purpose of wearing them . My son bought a pair of insulated blaze orange camo bibs for me and they are cozy warm .