RCBS Hand Priming Tool

Moho81

I picked up a RCBS hand primer tool but it only came with the small primer Rod and not the large primer Rod. Also in the instructions it really doesn’t say when to use which one. I assume large Rod with large primer and small rod with small primer but I want to make sure it’s that simple? 

You are correct, the large rod is for large rifle and pistol regular and magnum primers, the small one is for small rifle, pistol magnum and regular primers. I am sure the large rod can be purchased separately.

Al

Edited by airedale

32 minutes ago, airedale said:

You are correct, the large rod is for large rifle and pistol regular and magnum primers, the small one is for small rifle, pistol magnum and regular primers. I am sure the large rod can be purchased separately.

Al

Thanks! I hate assuming things especially when it comes to stuff that go's bang! 

I took a look online and you can in fact order just the large rod separately. 

I'm still learning and have only made about 15-20 rounds so far. Yesterday I had some free time so I figured I'd get some bench time in. I prepped 75 cases for the .243 with no issue. Then I moved onto the 30-.06 and everything was going fine until it wasn't. I don't know how it happened but somehow I bent and broke the decapping pin. For some reason I have always struggled with the 30-.06. I don't know if the used die that I got was just crap and out of spec or what. Anyways after I broke it I started to do some reading and I am just going to purchase another expander decapping rod for the die. It's pretty cheap to replace and hopefully it helps me not struggle as much. 

It may not have been the die that caused the problem, it could have been a flash hole in a case that was a little off center causing the decapping pin to miss the flash hole and hit the brass mucking things up. Broken decapping pins happen and it is a good idea to have some spares, they are cheap.

Al

• Like 1

I like the rcbs universal hand primer. When I bought mine it had the rod for both large and small primers as well as the holder for the primer itself.

Rcbs universal hand primers won't work on anything bigger than 45 colt. I have to prime on the press for the 480 ruger. Its alot slower with fat fingers. 

Decapping pins are a consumable part of reloading. I have at least 3 large and 3 small spares.

You may also want to get a stuck case remover.  Its not if but when you will need one. 30‐06 seems to be a little stickey when resizing and decapping. Cleaning is the key. Make sure you don't have any cleaning medium left in the case. My next purchase will be an ultrasonic cleaner. I inspect with a small flash lite and a little compressed air to get out any walnut pieces stuck inside.

Was it once fired commercial 30-06 brass or military brass ?

Make sure you have the de capping rod recessed into the die before using it.

Also get some Hornady one shot case lube and spray your cases liberally.

Under lubing is a major cause of stress and failure during the reloading process.

Hand priming is ok for small pistol, but for large rifle and magnum loads, you need to seat the primer with authority and a mounted press system is best suited for that.

Good luck and shoot safe.

SJC 

Edited by Shoots100
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Nytracker said:

I like the rcbs universal hand primer. When I bought mine it had the rod for both large and small primers as well as the holder for the primer itself.

Rcbs universal hand primers won't work on anything bigger than 45 colt. I have to prime on the press for the 480 ruger. Its alot slower with fat fingers. 

Decapping pins are a consumable part of reloading. I have at least 3 large and 3 small spares.

You may also want to get a stuck case remover.  Its not if but when you will need one. 30‐06 seems to be a little stickey when resizing and decapping. Cleaning is the key. Make sure you don't have any cleaning medium left in the case. My next purchase will be an ultrasonic cleaner. I inspect with a small flash lite and a little compressed air to get out any walnut pieces stuck inside.

So you seem to think 30-.06 cases need a little more effort when resizing and decapping? The effort difference between .243 and 30-.06 is surprising. I have also noticed that the 30-.06 cases resize better with more lube than what I put on the .243 cases but I read somewhere that to much lube also is not good any truth to that? 

12 hours ago, Shoots100 said:

Was it once fired commercial 30-06 brass or military brass ?

Make sure you have the de capping rod recessed into the die before using it.

Also get some Hornady one shot case lube and spray your cases liberally.

Under lubing is a major cause of stress and failure during the reloading process.

Hand priming is ok for small pistol, but for large rifle and magnum loads, you need to seat the primer with authority and a mounted press system is best suited for that.

Good luck and shoot safe.

SJC 

Commercial brass but some of it was fired more than once. 

Hornady one shot lube is what I am using. Is there a such thing as using to much lube? 

Previously I was using the mounted press to seat the primer but it was a slow process. I was hoping the hand primer was going to me easier and a little faster. 

42 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Is there a such thing as using to much lube?

Yes there is, too much lube will cause dents in the case shoulder. I use Hornady Unique case lube, it is a paste that I put on with my finger and spread on the cases very thinly.

Al

2024-03-26_113732.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

Yes  to much lube is a problem. I use the one-shot on my revolver brass . I use rcbs and the lube pad for my rifle cartridges.. lube an even coat then I roll on a thin tissue paper to remove any excess.  Doesn't take much to dent a shoulder.

3 hours ago, airedale said:

Yes there is, too much lube will cause dents in the case shoulder. I use Hornady Unique case lube, it is a paste that I put on with my finger and spread on the cases very thinly.

Al

2024-03-26_113732.png

1 hour ago, Nytracker said:

Yes  to much lube is a problem. I use the one-shot on my revolver brass . I use rcbs and the lube pad for my rifle cartridges.. lube an even coat then I roll on a thin tissue paper to remove any excess.  Doesn't take much to dent a shoulder.

Thanks, I did end up denting a couple of shoulders. I sprayed the cases lightly with the one shot and after they seemed to be giving way to much resistance I sprayed them some more and while they worked in easier a couple did dent. 

This is a big learning process but I am enjoying it. 

• Like 1

RCBS used to be a very easy to deal with company....I havent needed to do so in a few years, but I would give customer service a call and ask them if it was supposed to come with both (does it say on the box?) . Yep, small press for small primers, large for large. Put a dab of vaseline on the hinge point for lube...it will bind and break eventually without it.

• Like 1

I bought the Lee Auto-Prime tool years ago . I searched Lee Auto-Prime and see where the priming tool is now completely different . Mine came with two trays for large and small primers . Here is a picture of it upside down .

Lee Auto-Prime.jpg

15 hours ago, maddie said:

do your self a favor and buy the rcbs decapping only die for the 06 ,end of problem also once you go to a dry lube you will never go back 

Dry lube? Tell me more? 

On 3/26/2024 at 11:36 AM, airedale said:

Al

2024-03-26_113732.png

I still use a lube pad. those cases can still be saved I would just load them at the low end with the cheapest bullets I have and fire form them back into shape. I have a 6mm rem br and it's really hard to find bass so I have to save all the brass I can. Back in the old days when I shot IHMSA and shot a 7mm TCU one of the best ways to make brass was to take 223 or 222mag brass and fire form them. 222mag brass was better it's longer then 223 brass and would size or fire form to size where 223 brass would always be short.