Summer Scouting

We have solar cell cameras set up around the areas and stands we hunt, So all we do is minimal trail maintenance and try to keep as low a profile as possible.

Remember to wear treated clothing or treat your clothing for tick's, as those bloodsucking POS's have been out in full force.

SJC

• Like 2

I have no cameras, but I do quite a bit of early scouting for both Deer and small game and it is usually combined with other activities like stump shooting with one of my recurves or plinking with one of my air guns. Also a good time to get my dogs in the woods and do some training.  I go along observing mast crops and game trails along with finding other game sign, I just like being in the woods taking a walk and see what is out there, it is good for the soul.:good:

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 4

Nothing beat's boot's on the ground scouting. 

Cameras are just another tool in the shed. 

If you have reception, Cell cam's are a great investment.

We really only use them if we're having an issue with trespassers or have a big buck pinpointed in an area.

I use them a lot more during coyote season.

During the deer season we see a lot of bucks that have never been seen on camera and some of the big bucks we do see on camera aren't seen till after the season ends.

If we lease or get permission to hunt a new property, we use the spy high camera mounts to avoid theft.

For me, It's too hot out to scout.

I sit in the AC and view pics on my cell phone with a cold beverage.

SJC

• Like 1

I have to wonder about the value of summer scouting. I guess it does give you an idea of what deer are in the area. But I have to say that patterns and areas where they might be now, are no indication of where they will be when Fall weather comes around. The feeding patterns are 100% different. The cover is different, and of course when rut slides in whatever you think you are learning during the summer months is all changed.

I like to see what the fawn crop looks like and see if I recognize any of the survivors from last hunting season just out of curiosity, but little else is learned this time of year. I am way too busy this time of year to get too involved with learning things that will be completely different when hunting season comes around.

But I am willing to learn new stuff. What do you all learn from summer scouting?

• Like 1

Summer scouting is good to see if you have a good population of doe on a property.

Doe are one of the best buck attractant's.

Since doe are homebodies and will usually stay around their home turf unless really pressured, they will keep buck's on or around a property looking for a chance to breed.

SJC

I've just been granted access to an additional 50 acres which is alongside a 360 acre Wildlife Manage Area (4B) !  I requested to put up a Ladder Stand and been given the " Go Ahead " .... yippee !  I'm going to take my ATV for a ride there in the next couple days , do some scouting and if I see any trace of activity I'll be setting up a Trail Cam !

• Like 3