never ceases to amaze me..................

waterweasle

years ago my cousin and I started a tradition of heading to the local walmart the night before the season, since I'm not hunting with him anymore I drove to the Middletown gander mountain and dicks sporting goods, the lines for license was amazing, and it never fails, there was 2 guys waiting for a newly purchased rifle/scope to have it mounted and bore sighted, all the while listening to the guy say he cant wait to hunt with it in the morning...........ITS FREAKING BORE SIGHTED YA FOOL............... lol see it almost every year

I used to enjoy watching all the people in the diner on opening morning wearing camo and blaze orange, smelling like bacon and cheap cigars. Why you would wear your hunting gear into a restaurant in beyond me. Also the guys fueling up their trucks with gas or diesel was always good.

• Like 2

Outside of the irresponsibility of gun mgmt. or breaking laws, everyone should be super careful about complaining about these "casual" people. These people are the foundation of license sales - the casual hunter, the weekend warrior, or just the opening day/weekend hunter.

Who cares if they smell like bacon. Maybe the group puts on drives? Maybe they sit for the first hour or two, head in to get coffee, watch some ball, and then head out again for the last hour. Not a thing wrong with it.

Whining about the people who make the up majority of license sales just doesn't make sense. If you're on this forum, chances are you are more dedicated to hunting that 90-95% of hunters in this state. But again, there's nothing wrong with being a casual, recreational hunter who enjoys hunting and what comes along with it for a few hours a year. They buy their license just as you do.

Edited by phade
  • Like 5

Outside of the irresponsibility of gun mgmt. or breaking laws, everyone should be super careful about complaining about these "casual" people. These people are the foundation of license sales - the casual hunter, the weekend warrior, or just the opening day/weekend hunter.

Who cares if they smell like bacon. Maybe the group puts on drives? Maybe they sit for the first hour or two, head in to get coffee, watch some ball, and then head out again for the last hour. Not a thing wrong with it.

Whining about the people who make the up majority of license sales just doesn't make sense. If you're on this forum, chances are you more dedicated to hunting that 90-95% of hunters in this state. But again, there's nothing wrong with being a casual, recreational hunter who enjoys hunting and what comes along with it for a few hours a year. They buy their license just as you do.

while that is entirely true, there is no place for the irresponsible hunter who buys a gun the night before he intends to use it and the first shot he takes with it is at a deer.

Whining about the people who make the up majority of license sales just doesn't make sense. If you're on this forum, chances are you are more dedicated to hunting that 90-95% of hunters in this state. But again, there's nothing wrong with being a casual, recreational hunter who enjoys hunting and what comes along with it for a few hours a year. They buy their license just as you do.

while that is entirely true, there is no place for the irresponsible hunter who buys a gun the night before he intends to use it and the first shot he takes with it is at a deer.

See bold.

Whining about people smelling like bacon is the other end of the spectrum. The other thing is that people tend to tell themselves stories - the ladder of inference.

I'm not going to lie, I've sighted in my gun using a pair of truck headlights the night prior because I accidentlaly bumped my scope moving the gun while organizing my gear and lost confidence in it. Maybe this guy had plans or something. Don't know. Assuming and telling stories is not very useful nor does it usually result in good things. He may very well have been a slob hunter, but we do not know that other than assumption based on what one person's limited observation and his interpretation of it.

Edited by phade

Why not...? I know guys that shoot their guns and bows year round but can't seem to make a clean kill on a deer for the life of them.

There used to be a saying around here that never really caught on the way it should have......"shut up and hunt".

Too many guys worrying about what the other guy is doing, and missing out on what this time of year is supposed to be all about.

Some lessons need to be learned the hard way.

Edited by wooly
  • Like 4

I was there that night. The place was a mad house. My buddy got screwed by one of his friends that lends him his rifle for the season. He ended up buying an 870 right at closing time. Sighted it in Saturday afternoon and he's all set. But yeah people were buying guns that night and planning on using them in the morning. Amazing

Back in the day we'd stop at the Senator restaurant on rt104 on the way to hunt. Big breakfast and people smoked in the restaurant too back then.we did not even shower in the morning as would rather sleep a bit more,never heard of scent killer soaps and the like.

We killed deer fine,mostly because they would be running by after Being bumped by others.

Some of my best hunting memories were from around that breakfast table listening to the old men tell,lies .

I agree about the stores though, when Creekside gun shop was still open it was down right scary to see guys "practice" just prior to the season ( outdoor range there).

• Like 1

Back in the day we'd stop at the Senator restaurant on rt104 on the way to hunt. Big breakfast and people smoked in the restaurant too back then.we did not even shower in the morning as would rather sleep a bit more,never heard of scent killer soaps and the like.

We killed deer fine,mostly because they would be running by after Being bumped by others.

Some of my best hunting memories were from around that breakfast table listening to the old men tell,lies .

I agree about the stores though, when Creekside gun shop was still open it was down right scary to see guys "practice" just prior to the season ( outdoor range there).

I remember going to the auction when they closed with my dad I was real young...think he bought some alum aarows lol

Back in the early 60's, when everything we knew about hunting came from some raggedy old dog-eared magazine article, we broke just about every rule to successful deer hunting that we have today. Whether the scents of pumping gas, or cigarette smoke (nearly everyone smoked back then), or fried bacon and eggs, interfered with our success was really not even an issue. The one thing I do recall was that we were one powerfully dedicated bunch of hunters who knew how to have fun while hunting. And by the way, we got a lot of deer back then too. The one thing that was a standard tradition was dragging those shotguns out to see what you could do with them before the season started.

So you won't find me criticizing anyone for eating breakfast in their hunting clothes or pumping gas or considering any of those minor infractions, as indicating any kind of lack of dedication. As long as they take care of the gun familiarity part of hunt preparation, I could care less about how they are dressed when they eat breakfast or pump gas.

• Like 2

The thing is ..."back in the day" most of us were not bow  hunters the need to get up close and personal with deer was never really concidered....the reason we can't understand the bacon /gas smelling gun hunters is because, we spend weeks trying not to smell like anything at all...It drove the guys crazy at camp...my getting up at 4:00 to eat then shower and dress to be in my stand before day break...they saw it as pointless...why? you can't shoot until light,,,they could smell your gun(ahh but I use scentless cleaner before season)......they'd come back with no deer and or long vollies(shotgun)...and I'd be dragging one in....after a while coats were left out side during morning breaks and showers were an everyday not once a week thing....different mind sets.....but really buy a gun and scope then try using it the next day? ...how accidents happen

Of course they are at camp right now seeing tons of deer with no shots too far to much brush....hhhmmm if they were just willing to help and listen.... but here I sit with lots of fawn and some doe but after hours.....and nothing to show for the effort...off to shower now....lol

Edited by growalot

How did any deer ever get killed before modern technology took over the sport?  Apparently you need scent killing bags for your camo clothes that you cover with orange, a gps and at least a 300 win mag to kill a deer.  I guess the deer morphed since the good old days. Bigger better faster hunter conditioning.  I am willing to bet that in the good ol days just as many deer got shot as there is now.  People can be easily talked into anything by the wonders of television.  I wonder what the next gimmick will be that everyone will need.  I would think you would appreciate all these guys and gals who do not hunt like you do.  Hell they never kill a deer, so there are more for you. 

• Like 2

I am always amazed at the things that we think we "must have" or "must do" these days in order to hunt. And there are not a one of these "must have" gadgets, techniques, and processes that people are not capitalizing on and raking in some cash. Is all that stuff nonsense or money grubbing fabrications? Oh probably not. Each little "must have" probably adds something to your chances, but some of the more over-the-top concepts probably have more impacts in the mind than in reality.

I remember back in the days when I used to smoke. I can't count the number of deer that I had to lay down my cigarette so I could draw my bow.......ha-ha. A little bacon smell has got nothing on the stink of a cigarette and the distance that that stink can travel on the wind. Here's the secret ...... you either got the wind direction or you don't.