Finally Met the Guy (6A)

wildcat junkie

My son & I have been seeing this guy's calling cards all over my place since the end of October. I finally met up with him at about 3:30 this afternoon.

He walked right towards me as he rounded a bend in a horse trail. I got the drop on him for about 3 seconds. He was looking in my direction, but not directly at me. I was in a 15' tri-pod. The shot took him straight on just above the heart. He was somewhat downwind & I didn't want to take the chance waiting on a better angle. He spun around & ran about 50 yards back up the trail & dropped where the picture was taken. Even after a month of rut, he dressed over 170#

8PointBuck11-29-14_zps2d46848d.jpg

My son has a better picture of the rack on his phone. When I can get him to e-mail it to me I'll post it.

• Like 9

He has a beautiful, nearly perfectly symetrical 8 point rack with a bot fly hole in the right main beam.

His neck was huge. The hand loaded .323 200gr Speer Hotcore at 2700 fps Mv destroyed the top of the heart, all of the major arteries, most of the lungs & about 1/4 of his liver.

Very little blood trail as is usual when the heart & the major arteries are destoyed.

After the shot I immediately radioed my son who was about 150yds beyond & to the left from where the deer was standing along the same trail that fishooks.

The coversation went something like this.

BANG

"Big buck."

"Did you hit him?"

"Not sure, watch to your right, I'm getting down."

I found a small splotch of bright red/pink blood in the light skiff of snow just beyond where he was standing whe I shot.

"I hit him, there's blood"

Walking along the trail I was finding small splotches of blood but not what you would call a blood trail. As I rounded the bend, I saw the buck lying in the trail.

"I got him!"

After looking the buck over briefly & taking PIX, my son returned to his stand as I went back to the house to get my Gilson tractor & cart.

Edited by wildcat junkie