Mornings or Evenings?

bkln

I know that the first light supposed to be the best time to hunt, but from your experience and stats, what time of the day have you harvested majority of your deer? Come to think of it I only shot one doe at first light, the rest of my deer was mid day or evening.....

Edited by bkln

I know that the first light supposed to be the best time to hunt, but from your experience and stats, what time of the day have you harvested majority of your deer? Come to think of it I only shot one doe at first light, the rest of my deer was mid day or evening.....

With 50ty years under my belt I got one thing to say: Best time to shoot em' is when you see em'. And that has happened at every hour of the day. Morning & evening normally is good when deer are un-pressured. But I never shot one when I wasn't in the woods.

• Like 5

When I'm getting up at 4:30 in the morning I like afternoons , when I'm tracking gutting and dragging in the dark I like mornings.

That aside idk,I don't really have trouble killing deer in either. I've probably killed more in the morning but then I hunt more mornings.

I like the question.  My Brother and I just had this debate few weeks back.  I prefer evenings and my Brother prefers mornings.  The reason I prefer evenings is because I set a lot of drags and attractants, I'm just more comfortable when I can see.  The other reason is temperature.  We all know how difficult it is to stay in the woods longer then 10am when the high is around 20.  It's a bit easier in the evening.  I seem to have more concentration.

With this said, I take about an equal amount of deer morning and evening.  However, on my property I tend to see the bigger bucks in the morning.

One last thought, with evening hunts, I know its dinner time and dessert when I get out.

• Like 1

My deer (in the past and out-of-state) were all morning deer that I have taken.

I have seen bucks running in the afternoon (regretfully I was driving to access a different spot when they came out).

The scrawny doe I passed on last week (very small, and a skyline shot) I saw at 4:10 PM.

Mornings are colder, evening hunts are normally warmer.  Except last year when had an afternoon snow storm on an all day hunt.  The later it got, the colder it got that day.