This is why some drive deer....

Nomad

I would suggest having someone that also knows the land and the plan set out the watchers and you lead the drive. . if it is thick and you can easily get turned around or you cant see each driver, I would think the young hunters are better suited to watch than drive. Set them out with clear direction at each location about their safe lanes of fire. Young hunters tend to walk too fast and unless you set a rule that drivers don't shoot, it can be iffy were they to get ahead and cross in front or get turned around in the drive.

If the cover is really thick, send the drivers in without guns. Cant shoot if you are on your hands and knees crawling through brush lol.

If the cover is really thick, send the drivers in without guns. Cant shoot if you are on your hands and knees crawling through brush lol.

I can't believe Culver said the young ones should watch instead of drive in the thick stuff, lol.

Pretty sure thick stuff meant the kids were the only ones going in when I was young and we were doing drives.

I hate thinking I am on the other side of that deal now where I am in the stander/watcher class.

Edited by phade
  • Like 3

I remember the first time my old man took me out....we sat down for a bit then he said....ok you walk that way a while then turn left walk to stream then turn left walk up hill.....then turn left and wistle a few time till you find me....o and if I shoot stop walking and wait till I wistle....have fun see you in a bit.....remember it like it was yesterday.......now 20 years later it still works like that for the most part when he is feeling up to sit in the woods

• Like 1

Not true. We do it every year, and watch deer loop around right behind us. Then Ive had situations where we have driven an area in the morning or early afternoon, and killed a deer out of a stand in that same area that evening.

Twice I've had them go right over me. About 10 people each in sight of the next banging pots, baying like hounds. One time deer ran by at what seemed like 40 mph. One young buck had his tongue hanging out like a dog.

Granted, I have never hung around to see what happened afterward. Then again, my hunting sensibilities were disturbed. It was time to do something else. I go to the woods to hunt, to observe wildlife and for peace.

When I was some distance from this crowd, I have occasionally killed a deer after their drive that appeared to be wandering around lost.

Twice I've had them go right over me. About 10 people each in sight of the next banging pots, baying like hounds. One time deer ran by at what seemed like 40 mph. One young buck had his tongue hanging out like a dog.

Granted, I have never hung around to see what happened afterward. Then again, my hunting sensibilities were disturbed. It was time to do something else. I go to the woods to hunt, to observe wildlife and for peace.

When I was some distance from this crowd, I have occasionally killed a deer after their drive that appeared to be wandering around lost.

I'm not a huge fan of the pan banging drive either... not that it isn't effective... I just don't like the idea of trying to kill a deer running full out for it's life... those kind of drives tend to move the deer completely out of the area for a long time... using the drivers scent as the motivator for moving deer does not get them crazy... they are use to human scent and will just move on to where they feel safe again... often even circling around and back in behind the drivers... that's part of the cat and mouse game sometimes. Sometimes if you leave a watcher on the peripheral behind the drivers he will be the one that sees the deer as they double back. That can be a good tactic.

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 2

l

If you're reading a book while driving deer, you're doing it wrong : )

Good Point, but w/ out researching and learning from the experience of others (like this forum) I'm afraid we are all apes.

That and the stakes of not getting it right or "learning by doing" can be too large or lethal.

I got shot by an "experienced hunter" and guest of my host on a pheasant drive. Beyond the obvious my one regrets is not shooting back.

I think I will equip standards and shooters w/ camera's and practice in the off season.

If anyone comes back w/ a blurry shot of a running deer they are out of the pack.

I'm not a huge fan of the pan banging drive either... not that it isn't effective... I just don't like the idea of trying to kill a deer running full out for it's life... those kind of drives tend to move the deer completely out of the area for a long time... using the drivers scent as the motivator for moving deer does not get them crazy... they are use to human scent and will just move on to where they feel safe again... often even circling around and back in behind the drivers... that's part of the cat and mouse game sometimes. Sometimes if you leave a watcher on the peripheral behind the drivers he will be the one that sees the deer as they double back. That can be a good tactic.

Every drive we could do it, wed have a trailer following behind about 100 yds and they would almost still hunt. That person got a few deer over the years that circled back into harms way.

When I had permission on a farm with others who drove...I never hunted with them but id follow them to each lot. Id wait thirty minutes and check their boot tracks in the snow. Oftentimes I found deer tracks inside their bootprint. Id still hunt that lot and killed a few deer that way. I was younger and inexperienced at that time and messed up on a couple good bucks, not putting enough time in at the range and shooting offhand. The tactic works though. If a deer gets away easily, they often return to the area on the first couple bumps. That position worked for them to stay safe. Eventually they'll head to better safety with enough pressure but its not like you drop a deer vaporizer on them during the first drive and they never come back.

Sometimes you need to get the deer moving fast..very thick large areas for example.if I get one out of its bed I will run after it for 30 to 40 yards.the Der thinks you might catch it and jumps other derrors in its attempt to escape . The standers are placed at terrain features that the deer will stop at before being blinded ex.creek bed,ravine,gully. Other times you just wan tc to get them up and moving.but not scare them out of town... every drive is different ....

Pinenut -

Does "moving" deer mean banging pots and pans? Still hunting thru cover? Taking advantage of other hunters getting cold and walking around? Shooting at running animals? During southern zone gun season we are all supposed to only shoot deer that are acting naturally?

We move deer to our crew all the time by still hunting upwind of their cover. We don't shoot running deer. We fill freezers. We fill all those DMAP tags DEC keeps sending me. We allow my crops to grow and my forest understory to regenerate. How is this unethical?

• Like 1

Pinenut -

Does "moving" deer mean banging pots and pans? Still hunting thru cover? Taking advantage of other hunters getting cold and walking around? Shooting at running animals? During southern zone gun season we are all supposed to only shoot deer that are acting naturally?

We move deer to our crew all the time by still hunting upwind of their cover. We don't shoot running deer. We fill freezers. We fill all those DMAP tags DEC keeps sending me. We allow my crops to grow and my forest understory to regenerate. How is this unethical?

Why do people that disagree with a hunting tactic call it unethical? 

some of you all watch entirely too much television. When deer get pressured they become even more nocturnal, especially when it's dark more than it's light out. I watched a spike horn watch me walking through the golden rod for 10 minutes. I almost stepped on him before he took off. 

No different than the "Moral Police" calling something they disagree with immoral. 

I've lost friends because they PREACH political, religious and deer hunting righteousness. FACT. 

Let's just agree to disagree on things and be respectful and we're all good but when the only right opinion is yours, then you're really not a friend, are you? 

• Like 1

Geeze I guess I hit a sore spot amongst salmon snagers.

I guess I've seen the worst of deer pushers in my lifetime in wny.

We call them pirate crews because they raid and pillage. They do absolutely nothing to improve the lands. They call them self meat hunters but iv seen them turn yearling into swiss cheese like it was attacking them. I'm just saying most "pushers" are pushers because they can't get deer the hard way naturally.

We call them pirate crews because they raid and pillage. They do absolutely nothing to improve the lands. They call them self meat hunters but iv seen them turn yearling into swiss cheese like it was attacking them. I'm just saying most "pushers" are pushers because they can't get deer the hard way naturally.

Unfortunately most hunters do nothing to improve the lands they hunt or the herds they hunt... and it will always be that way... I don't believe there is a general "hard natural way" to hunt... that is subjective... I'm positive your hard way to hunt isn't even close to mine... and mine may be easier than other hunters I know... the only end game in deer hunting is to kill deer legally... easily or hard depends on the individual and their hunting experience. It's not worse or better just different ways to get to the same end.

• Like 3

What's the air like way up there on your high horse? 

Everyone has seen the hunters you describe. 

"can't get deer the hard way naturally." ?? 

Unless you're running them down and killing them with your bare hands, please knock off the garbage.... 

• Like 1