1st turkey season questions.

zeus1gdsm

After reasing several articles and threads on the interwebs I decided to come to my favorite sparring grounds for  more focused questions. :P

looking for reccomendations.

1)  shorter barrel or longer barrel on the 12g?  (using a 12g mossy 500) have a 18inch bead sight..  and im looking to get a 24-28inch vent rib for turkey. thoughts?

2) have some incoming bass pro gift cards  is the specfic call / box i shoudl look into preferably under $50.

3) i know they "see color" and movement and camoflage tend to be even more paramount than deer hunting.   any particular recomendations for the actual process of hunting turkey?

4)  based on TV ( :P) it seems the preferred spot would be small fields / clearings in the woods  or power line runs / corn fields.  As opposed to being "in the woods"   does this apply for NYS?

5)  preferred shot size?

6) any other tips you would give your son / grandson  going for his first turkey season?

Thanks in advance guys!

• Like 2

Hi Zeus,

1. I would recommend not going overly long on the barrel but I would recommend at least over 20 inches for your shotgun for balance, ventilated rib would be good. 26 inches would be fine on your shotgun.  Put a true glo turkey sight (or similar) on the rib (they are designed specifically for ribbed shotgun barrels and are easy to install).

2. If I had to pick one call I would pick a slate call, it has brought in numerous birds for me each year.

3. Use full camo, move only when the bird can't see you and make sure you set up where you can see him coming.  You don't want to be surprised or be in a situation where you have to move when a bird is almost on top of you.

4. Those places are good places in NYS too!

5. I like #5 shot the best.  Seems to be the best of both worlds, pattern density and pellet energy/ killing power.

6. Patience and the ability to wait out birds kills more turkeys than anything else.   Make sure you get a super full  turkey choke.  Take only head shots (body shots will only cripple a turkey).  Use your calling to get him in close and don't shoot at ranges where the ability of your load makes killing the bird questionable.  I try to get the in to at least 30 yards if at all possible.

Very Important:  Pattern your turkey gun and get it sighted in almost like you would with a rifle.   You goal should be to cleanly kill the bird with shot in the head and neck  getting little or no shot at all in the body. This will also make for a better bird on the table!

Good luck.

Edited by adkbuck
  • Like 3

1) shorter barrel or longer barrel on the 12g? (using a 12g mossy 500) have a 18inch bead sight.. and im looking to get a 24-28inch vent rib for turkey. thoughts?

**24-28 would be perfect.Some like a shorter barrel and some don't it comes down to personal preference.I use 24 mostly

2) have some incoming bass pro gift cards is the specific call / box i should look into preferably under $50.

**Either a box or pot call would be great for a beginner or master.I use both but prefer my pot call to my box.Most box calls are loud and difficult to do subtle calling on

3)I know they "see color" and movement and camouflage tend to be even more paramount than deer hunting. any particular recommendations for the actual process of hunting turkey?

**Yes don't move!!LOL Camo is important.Not the actual brand or pattern but just enough to help blend you in.Even in the best camo that's matched to your surroundings if you move the chances of them seeing you are in the high 90%,this is why a blind is a good idea also

4) based on TV ( :cheese:) it seems the preferred spot would be small fields / clearings in the woods or power line runs / corn fields. As opposed to being "in the woods" does this apply for NYS?

**Turkeys are and can be everywhere.I suggest a few weekends before opening day to go out and sit with binos from a good vantage point(not where you intend to hunt) and watch and listen.See where they go and what their routine is.This will help immensely in learning a turkeys habits and how to set up on hunting them

5) preferred shot size?

**I like 4 or 5 shot myself but again,its personal preference and what shot pattens from your gun the best.Also try and pattern all acceptable shell lengths out of your gun.What I mean is if you have a 3 1/2 inch gun the try 2 3/4,3 and 3 1/2 inch shells.A shotgun that pattens better is better than a gun that has tons of power but doesn't put the shot where it needs to be

6) any other tips you would give your son / grandson going for his first turkey season?

**Have fun and don't get frustrated,Spring turkey is one of my favorite things to hunt.So much going on,the woods coming alive with smells,sounds,new critters being born wrap it all up into one and that's spring turkey hunting!!!

Edited by MACHINIST
  • Like 3

As was said above, I have never killed a bird in a field in spring, I usually get them in the woods near roost trees. As for locator calls I use owl (reed and barrel) peacock,hawk,crow call,dog whistle,and elk bugle,as well as a horn from an 85 Honda moped.

• Like 2

As was said above, I have never killed a bird in a field in spring, I usually get them in the woods near roost trees. As for locator calls I use owl (reed and barrel) peacock,hawk,crow call,dog whistle,and elk bugle,as well as a horn from an 85 Honda moped.

what he said about field hunting.......find their roost and get as close as possible to try and get him before he hens up.

• Like 2

FYI : you're going to be addicted to spring bird hunting !!! Venison fills my freezer, turkey hunting fills my heart .

1) I've noticed a lot of turkey guns have different length barrels. Mossy Turkey Thugs model is a short barrel but my Remmy 1187 SPT is a long barrel. Never really got into pros or cons of either. As long as it petterns well. I shoot a Nitro Company .660 tube. Jellyhead performs really well in my daughters youth Remmy 20. 

2) I mainly use a slate call (HS Strut) and a custom slate. Have a Lynchs Fool Proof 101 boxcall I've had for 35 years. Not a fan unless it's windy out. Really tough for me to "quiet " it down. Main objective of calling birds is call soft and infrequently. Cut what you think is soft in volume to have that. My nephew and I hunted together. We hunted about 30 yards apart. Neither of us could hear each other call. 

3)Process should be a lot of scouting pre season. Find the patterns of the birds. Where they roost, where they head thru out the morning etc. 

4) All depends. Birds have "field mode" .Rainy days they may hit the fields out of their patterns. Rain will dampen their hearing and may hit the fields for safety. They'll hit fields to pick bugs or dandelion heads. I called in a gobbler years back that was running into me. Fields were about shoulder height on him. I could see him eating and dandelions flying the whole way in. I have killed I believe 10 birds from under the same exact tree. I'm about 30 yards inside the woods from the field edge. If i set my deke out when he nears my decoy I know he's inside range. Also less likely to see me where I am as opposed to sitting right on edge of field. My spot is close to a pinch point of two fields. They roost about 300-400 yards from here. I can't get any closer as it's posted. 

5) I shoot Heavi shot magblends 4 x 5 x6's. My daughter's gun likes em too.  At 40 yards it's holding very tight. Guys brag about shooting birds out to 70 yards. I'm sure my gun is capable of it but NEVER going to beyond 40. Golden BB shots aren't for me. I do not want to wound a bird and if he isn't inside 40 yards you haven't fooled him . Crap, some states allow rifle for birds. Jeesh, that's fun (sarcasm)  I like the blends as you get knockdown and pattern density. Not a fan of only #4's as some guys shoot. No density . Start saving your money and or pick up a box of this and a box of that along the way of different loads. The same exact combo may like something different. Oh ya, have your buddy shoot them all, lol. After the initial pattern testing you may only shoot once or twice a year to check gun and hopefully tip one over. 

6) Tips: don't watch turkey hunting TV programs! The volume of their calling is amped up. They splice footage and make it look easy. Knock on doors now asking permission if you don't have property. Again, call soft and infrequently. If bird is inside 100 yards, don't call. He knows within feet of where you are. Scratch behind you (sounds like a hen scratching) You want him to hit your call and cut you off. Not you calling after hearing him gobble. Scouting, scouting and scouting ! I'm not a run and gun guy. Hunt 70 acres. I've tried to move 2x over the years. Yup, both times I got busted by silent birds real close. If there's 10 gobblers in your woods. You may hear all 10 (doubtful), hear 5, hear 2 or hear none.  Full moon seems to screw with the birds. A lot of times they won't fly down til much later. If gobblers are henned up, get nasty bitchy hen. You want to pizz off the lead hen. If she yelps 3x, you yelp 4x. Idea is to call her in and big boy will follow. Crow calls make great locaters. Sit still. They may come in silent. Bug spray is your friend . Do not sit under that nice large tree before looking for coon crap (not that I've ever done that ) Do not sit in wild leek patch when hungover (again)  Have I mentioned scouting !? "Listening to the woods wake up" as my now 12 yr old daughter called it many years ago is precious. Been taking her scouting since I had to carry her. She now hunts with me : ) Oldgobbler.com is a good website and can answer many questions. Good luck and enjoy

• Like 3

pileated woodpecker call for a locator used to work well for me when I hunted turkey heavily.  I would hit the owl call a time or two with no response.  Then.. bust out that wood pecker call and they would gobble back at it like no tomorrow.  I quit carrying the owl as I never did get anything to answer back to it.  Not worth the cost based on my results. I also shot all my birds in the field in the spring. I never set up in the woods for them.  They can and very well may come in silent. Be on the lookout. Also my final bit of wisdom here. WATCH FOR SKUNKS!!!! Once I setup along a nice well used trail that paralleled a hedgerow. I figured the turkeys used it... Sat down against a tree, all camo'ed out. Nothing could see me. I didnt move for a very long time and all the sudden I heard movement. Didnt even turn my head to look. Instead waited for whatever to come by me. This whatever turned out to be a black and white potentially foul smelling creature.  Literally I could have kicked it in the head it was so close to my feet.  Luckily it kept walking by me and didnt pay me any heed. After that, I was not sure which of us smelled worse. May have been me...

• Like 3

After reasing several articles and threads on the interwebs I decided to come to my favorite sparring grounds for  more focused questions. :cheese:

looking for reccomendations.

1)  shorter barrel or longer barrel on the 12g?  (using a 12g mossy 500) have a 18inch bead sight..  and im looking to get a 24-28inch vent rib for turkey. thoughts? Shorter barrel is easier to maneuver & move without being spotted, but is usually harder to pattern.

2) have some incoming bass pro gift cards  is the specfic call / box i shoudl look into preferably under $50.Get a waterproof box call.

3) i know they "see color" and movement and camoflage tend to be even more paramount than deer hunting.   any particular recomendations for the actual process of hunting turkey? Sit still, call from a stationary position. If you hear or sense one coming, point you body in his direction and get the gun up, once he's in close it will be tough to move.

4)  based on TV ( :cheese:) it seems the preferred spot would be small fields / clearings in the woods  or power line runs / corn fields.  As opposed to being "in the woods"   does this apply for NYS? Not always. They seem to like the fields early in the morning, and the woods once it warms up.

5)  preferred shot size? #6, Hevi-Shot

6) any other tips you would give your son / grandson  going for his first turkey season? Don't overcall. Don't get discouraged. Don't fidget if you have one coming. Learn how to use a mouth or push-pin call for in close. Shoot straight. Aim for the wattles.

Thanks in advance guys!

• Like 2

wow.  excellent responses.... i appreciate it. looks like i have some shopping and some more reading to do.

Woudl a crow locator call be  fine for starting out? along with a slate call?

do i Really need a decoy?

Crow call is fine for locating. They won't always gobble at it however. You're getting them to shock gobble. Turkeys will be turkeys and you can't always get what you want from them .

I'd go slate call. Keep in mind a slate call won't work when it's wet. Glass pot calls will but they're a little more difficult IMO to get the sound you are looking for. One slate call + 3 strikers = 3 different hens(calls)

Decoys are not necessary to kill birds. Some guys swear by them, some guys swear at them. I've killed many birds with and without them. They sometimes close the deal if the tom comes looking. If he doesn't see his "hen" (you) he may leave. Also had old boy close the gap from 250 yards with his real lady in tow to my deke. He got as close as 75 yards and hung up with his real girlfriend. My Avian standing hen wasn't going to move to him like she's supposed to. Without the deke he may have searched some more and gotten closer. Best part was he strutted for an hour for my 12 year old daughter to see. Would turn his fan at her and walk circles around her looking all proud. Would come out of strut and rip. She loved seeing it. BTW , killed old boy a few days later with no decoy. Double bearded and just less than 1.25" hooks. Been hunting him for years. 

• Like 1

Decoys are a personal choice.  Some people use them others don't.

You can use decoys to mark the desired range for where you are sitting.

Decoy can be used the make the turkeys think that is the source of the calls.

Not using decoys, may make them look more for what bird is making the calls.

Don't forget to either camo paint your face or use a facemask, and wear gloves, both can stand out and be spotted.

Wet fresh-plowed fields can make hard to spot a turkey that just sitting out there.  Feathers may blend with the dark brown soil.

Plan to start the day on the cold side and get hot coming back from sitting. there is a lot of temperature swing in spring turkey hunting.  If you have a long walk, bring some water to drink.  May even do something like wear a pair of shorts under the hunting pants so you can ditch the pants for the hike back out (helpful if you have a mile or 2 to walk back).

Bug spray is a must for spring turkey - do apply to neck, ears and face, even with a face mask.  The bugs will go any exposed skin and it is really hard to sit still with bugs in your eyes.

Always assume another call that is approaching you could be another hunter.  Be prepared to show off an orange hat, or say something to let them know you are there.

I have sat inside a field edge with a decoy out in the grass and watching that field just to have a hen walk behind me in the woods.

Also have been in a "hedge" row between two fields. Pre-season scouting saw turkey in the fallow field, so that is how I set up for turkey season.  A tom was in the plowed field gobbling behind me to the left, out of sight and range.  Moved quietly as possible through some poison ivy in the hedge row and poke my head partly through some brush just in time to see him move off further out-range.  Couldn't call him back.  It may be disappointing, but it is very exciting and gives you an adrenalin rush.

Last spring the small plants (we are talking 6 inches or shorter) were moving like something was under them.  The movement came towards me and up popped a grayish-colored weasel, just two feet away.  You just never know what pops up around you in the spring.

Good luck and have a safe and fun hunt in the Spring.

• Like 4

All good responses....a few things that will kill a hunt...not listening to the natural birds to see what they are doing as far as vocals....slate is a great beginner call...not practicing the sit ahead of time. This is for the non blind sitters...movement will kill a turkey hunt and sitting ...even on a good pad or preferrably turkey seat will get uncomfortable at first...so go out and practice the sit and holding gun well in advance...in your yard so your not arrested...lol..or practice that while squirrel hunting...over calling will many times be your down fall...make sure you are prepared for the weather...PS...sometimes it's cold pre dawn and it warms up fast...

Had a new and I mean newly birthed fawn come stumbling by me. A mere 2 feet away. Could have tapped it on the head with the bore of my 12 gauge. It was still wet and wobbly beyond belief. It walked thru the mayapples to the field edge and back into the woods behind me. At noon upon leaving the woods I found exactly where it had been birthed. Matted mayapples and fluid about 40 feet from my tree. I've heard mama will birth fawns and take off for awhile as she carries most of the scent to predators. I had a great pic on my old cell phone. Didn't even need to zoom lol. First the robins start to sing, then cardinals, a crow or two, woodthrush's , brown thrashers and "hopefully" at this point thunder chickens start to rip on roost. Just got goosebumps thinking about it

• Like 1

Lots of good advice here....

I'll just throw in a couple of points...

Don't discount the box call...I personally believe that the box call is the easiest call for most beginners to make authentic turkey calls with...One box that has killed truckloads of gobblers is the Lynch Foolproof..Some of the deadliest gobbler slayers that I know rely mostly on the box..I have 14 of them...My current favorite is a custom box made by Bob Harwell in South Carolina, but many birds have succumbed to my Lynch Foolproof that I bought for $17 in 1976.

I have been fooled MANY times in the woods by hunters with box calls. Only the VERY BEST mouth callers have fooled me into thinking they were a real turkey rather than a hunter..I don't think I have EVER been fooled by a slate/pot type call..

As for locators, in NY a good loud crow call works as well as anything. In areas where there are few crows but lots of barred owls, an owl hoot may work better...However, very AUTHENTIC owl hoots work much better than mediocre owl hoots, where as with a crow call, the main thing is being LOUD. All that said, I do not use locator calls as a standard method...I generally use them when I want a bird to reveal his location, but don't really want to use a turkey call to do it..

Edited by Pygmy

Dang Pygmy,

I can't soften up the volume on my Foolproof. Mine is circa 1978 or so : ) 

My brother can , I just don't have it I guess. Purrs on it are impossible for me and purrs are my go to when he's committed but still doesn't know completely where I am. Love the slate for this. I'll softly purr around my leg so he doesn't know exactly.

Usually, stuffing the cavity in the box with tissue and lightening up on the pressure will soften the calls nicely...

Purrs are a PERSONAL thing with box calls..Some of my boxes purr nicely, others don't. My Foolproof doesn't purr worth a darn, but my buddy's purrs SWEEEEET..

Purrs are fine, but soft clucks and very soft yelps get the job done too.

I must admit, I carry a pot call in my vest to use only for soft clucks and purrs, but I seldom use it.

Alright... So the 12g I plan on using appears to be a custom job. It has an exactly 18inch barrell a front sight as seen below and a screw in choke of some sort?

Thoughts? This is 500a from the early 80s. I believe. Barrel says up to 3inch shells and cylinder bore.

So a 26 inch vent rib will run me 120 to $200 on eBay.... So should pick up another barrel or take this to a smith in an attempt to find a tighter choke and have a bead/rifle sight permenantly mounted?

Thoughts?

post-2523-14190356387473_thumb.jpg

post-2523-14190357324113_thumb.jpg

Personally I would get the 26 vent rib barrel and get a set of chokes (i.e. improved cylinder, modified and full, these will serve you for many different applications) plus a screw-in super full turkey choke (like an undertaker, there are several that will fit your shotgun).  I would also get something like a true-glo sight that fits on the rib or alternatively get the guns receiver drilled and tapped for a low power scope.   The wild turkey is such a fantastic game bird.  Both you and the wild turkey deserve a solid reliable rig and the modest investment will serve you well over the years.

Edited by adkbuck