A longer deer season? Why not?

JJBat150

YAY! Longer seasons! 2 and 1/2 months isn't enough for the NY hunters to argue! Lets piss each other off even more!

Over-population? Sure! Lets get permits for the dumb-asses to shoot up the cities! That way the "gas-pumping slobs", poachers, and all the other dumb asses can fill tags!!!!!!

I'm all for it! Where do I sign up?

6BD1CCA8-DC73-412E-9A22-DEA46D41A968_zps

• Like 1

NY already has a terrible "management" system with long gun seasons, etc. Extending it any longer simply keeps some slobs out driving the woods to holy hell. How about we earn a buck system to force doe take in needed areas. NY management a joke and unfortunately enough yahoo's out there to keep it popular rather than going the other direction and making it more selective or treating deer like a resource. Such stark contrasts to other states who are not addicted to shooting nearly every deer they see. 

post-899-0-68407100-1419260724_thumb.jpgA longer, season (later in year) even for anterless would result in bucks that dropped horns being taken. i took this buck on the 15th this year with muzzleloader on horn had shed and the other popped off in my hand when i went to lift the head. post-899-0-64127600-1419260712_thumb.jpg while 60-80% of take is during first week of gun, a spilt season would allow greater harvest as a two week rest period would allow deer to return to normal patters and would result in 2 opening days type harvests.fitting with in the 4 week gun period we have now . or starting a week earlier.

I have found sheds as early as dec 13th and have shot bucks in muzzleloader , that have lost one side or both and have no stress induced injuries. Although injuries are responsible for losing horns even earlier. such as this buck i got in its bed on the 13th , both pedicals are healed completely over and it had a small caliber hole and infection resulting from pass thru shot on its brisket.post-899-0-53855200-1419261277_thumb.jpg i hope that makes more sence to those confused by a split season. and that deer do shed horns earlier than some think. i believe wooly got a buck that horns were ready to drop this year as well.

NY already has a terrible "management" system with long gun seasons, etc. Extending it any longer simply keeps some slobs out driving the woods to holy hell. How about we earn a buck system to force doe take in needed areas. NY management a joke and unfortunately enough yahoo's out there to keep it popular rather than going the other direction and making it more selective or treating deer like a resource. Such stark contrasts to other states who are not addicted to shooting nearly every deer they see. 

Couple points. Again, I don't see all the pressure that keeps getting tossed around here. I bet I didn't hear. 12 shots the whole last weekend of regular season and maybe half a dozen the weekend of ML (not counting the barrage that clearly was a shotgun).

And in the areas that need this population reduction aren't we needing not a "shoot all you see" but a "shoot all you have tags for"? I know quite a few guys that sat on their doe permits until later in the season and then couldn't fill them. Their tag, their call, but they shouldn't complain when DEC takes other measures to reach the harvest goals.

Biggest hurdle I see in the high population areas is access. Don't know how hunters/DEC will overcome that one.

..AHH the memories of having only 2 weeks to bow hunt. Not happy with seemingly endless big game season as now set up.  I prefer to old days of taking 6-7 days to hunt bow, then matriculate into shotgun season for about 3 weeks, then you're done. 

Extended big game season seems endless and a bit boring....sort of like the NFL. I was excited to sit down and watch a couple of games every Sunday, plus the Thanksgiving games. Now games and season are extended beyond belief into Thursdays, Saturdays, Super bowl into February,etc..

I feel the same about hunting now when seasons are extended the way they are now. Maybe just getting a little old,crotchety and batchy, sorry.   

• Like 1

Don't they do this in LI?

they just extended the Archery season until the end of January. The shotgun season was always in January, weekdays only.....they just expanded on that as well. Bonus DMP's are available throughout the zone in an unlimited supply the last time I checked.

they just extended the Archery season until the end of January. The shotgun season was always in January, weekdays only.....they just expanded on that as well. Bonus DMP's are available throughout the zone in an unlimited supply the last time I checked.

So I guess this supports Culver's idea to handle it area by area.  I would really like a true late season  - maybe two weeks in January (even if doe only and with limitations on weapons).  Perhaps I am just greedy as I hate to see the season end.  My wife already asked when I am going to start scouting for next year.  lol

I think it's long enough. And you can't define pressure by the amount of shots you hear.

no, but it sure can be one indicator. Especially if the concern is deer drives.

Edit, Let me add that state land with no vehicles parked that are also a pretty good indicator.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1