Savage AXIS-II I'm Impressed (And I'm Pretty Picky)

My son's buddy bought himself a Savage AXIS-II. He opted for 7mm-08 (7 milimeter-oh-eight, not ought-eight :stop: ) on my recommendation. He's a 1st time hunter & is going to join my son & I deer hunting next year. His Dad gave him $500 to purchase a deer rifle. He got the rifle/scope combo & a box of Federal Fusion cartridges all in $500 tax included.

1st off, the "Chinese Weaver" 3-9X40 scope is $hit. I would much rather see the gun sold for $100 less W/O scope & mounts or even $50 less with just the rings/mounts which seem decent. I have a Leupold VX-II of a similar flavor that I am going to try to talk him into borrowing for the sake of the deer. That piece of crap will most likely let him down at the worst possible moment. The optics are horrid & the reticle is a BDC (TBS would be a better moniker) reticle that is hard to see in brush & confusing.

Anyway. Let's get back to the rifle.

Short action magazine length: One of the 1st promising signs was the magazine box length. While Remington M700s have a SA magazine box that restricts cartridge OAL to SAMMI spec of 2.80", the Axis magazine box was a generous 3.20". That's almost exactly the same length as an intermediate length LR M98 or SR M93/96 Mauser action! Lot's of leeway for loading the ogive just off the lands" for maximum accuracy.

Chamber dimensions: Aside from being quite possibly the ideal deer cartrifge, one of the reasons that I encouraged the 7m-08 was the fact that I have over 200 cases, dies & some bullets left over from when I had a 7mm-08. I never full length resized the cases for my M700 to reduce excessive working of the brass. I found that the die setting I used for th M700 chamber left the resized cases way too big for the Savage chamber. I had to screw the die almost all the way down to the shell holder to get a good easy bolt close W/the Savage. Savage seems to have cut the chamber right on the spec & case life should be very good. The fact that the Savage barrel lock-ring set-up allows precise headspace setting also contributed to this I'm sure.

Barrel throat: I use a stiff spring in a fired case with the bullet to be utilized to gage the throat. I 1st place the ramrod with a flat end screwed into it against the bolt face W/the strker in the cocked position. I then slide 2 collars against the muzzle & tighten the set screw of the collar farthest from the muzzle. The case/spring/bullet is then chambered & the ramrod is gently pushed against the point of the bullet. The collar closest to the muzzle is then slid against the muzzle & the set screw tightened. A measurement between the collars then reveals the COAL that will have the ogive in contact W/the rifling. One then subtracts .010" to .015" from that to get the ideal COAL for maximum accuracy. This measurement reveals that a COAL of 2.850" for Hornady 139gr SST or Interbonds will be ideal. No wonder these rifles have a reputation for shooting well right out of the box!

Love the acu-trigger: It was a bit heavy (4#) as it came from the box. A quick YouTube search found a video that showed me the proceedure & 5 minutes W/a jewelers screwdriver had a nice crisp trigger breaking cleanly at just under 3#.

The only things I didn't like: The "tupperware" plastic stock is pretty flexible. The trigger gaurd arangement is tacky. To be fair though, word has it that most "factory synthetic" stocks full under the tupperware catagory. The young man has seen my stock handiwork & wants a laminated wood stock. For a little over $100 we can get a Boyds laminated classic stock with a triggergaurd which should further improve accuracy potential.

Over all impression: Aside from the crappy glass, a great value for someone that wants an inexpensive tool that is very capable. For a few $$ more it can be transformed into a great rifle W/some decent optics for little more than the price of a bare bones plastic stocked Remington M700 or Winchester M70 alone. It will more than likely outshoot either.

We're taking it to the range on Saturday. I need to get busy prepping case, working up some loads & loading up some cartridges

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 2

Savage to me makes the perfect entry level guns and even mid level guns that perform and out perform the bigger names. I picked up a 243 for deer in a Remington 700 last year solely because of the aftermarket. I really wanted a Savage, but the aftermarket is really just starting to catch on with the Axis line.

Savage to me makes the perfect entry level guns and even mid level guns that perform and out perform the bigger names. I picked up a 243 for deer in a Remington 700 last year solely because of the aftermarket. I really wanted a Savage, but the aftermarket is really just starting to catch on with the Axis line.

I'm betting a lot of M10/110 stuff could be adapted.  The AXIS SA would be a great candidate for an aftermarket 7X57, 6mm Rem or 257 Roberts barrel. Those are all 7X57 based cartridges & are a bit hampered in a M700 SA.

Have the throat reamed a bit for a more appropriate COAL like 3.150", put a headspace gage in the chamber, screw the barrel down against it, secure the lock ring & go to the range.

I'm hoping to get one of these very soon. It will be my first deer rifle. I have always been in a shotgun wmu. I really want the 7mm-08,but have been told the 270 may be better. Will use it for yote's as well as deer. Never having shot ether caliber is there a big difference comparing the two? I would just like something accurate out to 200-250 yards that will drop deer with a well placed shot. And not cost more than $500. Have it down to the savage axis or ruger american. Any advice from you more knowledgeable guys is appreciated.

Yeah the acu-trigger makes the Axis II  a much more impressive rifle than the standard Axis. I don't know much about the Weaver scope, but I'll take your word that it is junk. Too bad he didn't just get the rifle, without the scope. Im sure its at least 100 bucks cheaper. He could have put the money towards a better scope and hardware. 

I'm hoping to get one of these very soon. It will be my first deer rifle. I have always been in a shotgun wmu. I really want the 7mm-08,but have been told the 270 may be better. Will use it for yote's as well as deer. Never having shot ether caliber is there a big difference comparing the two? I would just like something accurate out to 200-250 yards that will drop deer with a well placed shot. And not cost more than $500. Have it down to the savage axis or ruger american. Any advice from you more knowledgeable guys is appreciated.

7mm-08 will push 140gr bullet at 2850-2900fps from a 22' barrel.

270 will push a 130gr bullet at 3000-3050fps from a 24" barrel. Both chambeings will have 22" barrels in the AXIS-II. so take about 50fps from the 270.

The 270 is "better" if ever last bit of range/trajectory is desired. The 7mm-08 is "better" if less recoil & muzzle blast is important.

The 270 will be a little easier to find ammo for in the boonies but the growing popularity of the 7mm-08 will likely improve availability of ammo in out of the way places.

A 7mm-08 @ 2900FPS with a 140gr polymer tipped bullet sighted in 2 1/2" high @ 100yds will be 3' high @ 150yds & 3" low @ 290yds. A 270 will extend that last range by about 20 yds.

The local residents in Idaho swear by the 7mm-08 for Elk. No deer will be able to tell the difference between a 7mm-08 or a 270 when they are hit through the vitals.

The Rugar American has a crappy trigger as does the standard AXIS. The AXIS-II has the Accu-Trigger which is a huge improvement over either.

Street price for the AXIS-II is about $430, $40 less for the best internet pricing, but then you add shipping & FFL fees. Better to support your local gun shop IMO.

• Like 1

Yeah the acu-trigger makes the Axis II  a much more impressive rifle than the standard Axis. I don't know much about the Weaver scope, but I'll take your word that it is junk. Too bad he didn't just get the rifle, without the scope. Im sure its at least 100 bucks cheaper. He could have put the money towards a better scope and hardware. 

All I have seen the AXIS-II offered as is a "package".

I switched to the 7mm-08 a few years back. So far I have taken deer from 50 to a little over 200 yards with it and it has performed great. Light recoil, hits hard and very accurate. I have only used Remington 140 gr. factory loads.

Edited by ants
  • Like 1

I loaned my 7mm-08 M700 Mtn Rfl DBM to a young man for his 1st deer hunting season in 2010. He shot his 1st buck with it at about 90yds from my tri-pod. The deer left a blood trail that looked like it came from a garden hose & only went about 30 yds. 

1stbuck001.jpg

• Like 1

Great round

I think it's pretty damned close to the ideal medium game cartridge. An accomplised shot with good ranging ability should be able to take deer sized game out to 400yds or more with it.

That chambering, in the now discontinued M700 Mtn Rfl DBM goes for around $800 used on Gun Broker W/O glass. I found that out after I sold mine for far less W/a Nikon Monarch 2-7X32 on top..:cry:

I bought a Kimber in 7mm-08 some years back and I absolutely love the gun and the round.  Only issue I've been having is finding ammo.

I shoot Federal Premium 140gr Nosler partition bullets and I haven't been able to find any the last two years.  I've contacted numerous gun shops and I've been in Cabelas and Dick's.  Not only can't I find the brand I shoot but that caliber in general is very hard to find.

I almost purchased the same gun the OP is talking about at Dick's in Oneonta right before the regular season for my nephew.  The gun was $425 but they had absolutely no ammo in stock in that caliber.

If anyone comes across the Federal ammo I use please let me know.

I bought a Kimber in 7mm-08 some years back and I absolutely love the gun and the round.  Only issue I've been having is finding ammo.

I shoot Federal Premium 140gr Nosler partition bullets and I haven't been able to find any the last two years.  I've contacted numerous gun shops and I've been in Cabelas and Dick's.  Not only can't I find the brand I shoot but that caliber in general is very hard to find.

I almost purchased the same gun the OP is talking about at Dick's in Oneonta right before the regular season for my nephew.  The gun was $425 but they had absolutely no ammo in stock in that caliber.

If anyone comes across the Federal ammo I use please let me know.

Out of stock, but due in on 1/24

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/398148/federal-premium-vital-shok-ammunition-7mm-08-remington-140-grain-nosler-partition-box-of-20?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Can't ship to NY if I recall correctly.  I tried ordering from Cabelas earlier this year but they can't ship to NY.

Thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

Can't ship to NY if I recall correctly.  I tried ordering from Cabelas earlier this year but they can't ship to NY.

Thanks for the heads up.

I reload so that hasn't come to my attention. Just another example of the idiocy of the SAFE act.

My advise is to find a local gun shop that is willing to order you some. It is still available. 7mm-08 availability seems to be a regional thing as it is fairly easy to find around here, but I imagine not so much W/the Partitions.

One more thing. Since the Mv of the 7mm-08 factory loads is under 3000fps by a considerable margin, a Partition isn't really neccessary. I have had great resuts W/140gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. Always good blood trails & short ones at that. Most of the time they drop with a few feet of the shot. With my 280 that left the muzzle @ 3150fps, I used the 139gr Hornady Interbond.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

Thanks for the advice WJ.  I actually started looking at other ammo since I couldn't find it and the NBT was my next choice.

Your advice is very much appreciated!! Thanks.

Some guys claim that they have had "bullet failure" with BTs but I think it is "bullet placement failure" that is the culprit.

Still if the Mv is getting to 3000fps or higher, then it's time to look for a bonded bullet in case of very close range shots at less than optimal angles.

Just for $hits & giggles here are some PIX of a bonded bullet that impacted at very high velocity at less than optimal circumstances.

This is a .284 139gr Hornady interbond that impacted a 220# (live weight) doe on the shoulder blade quartering on @ about 20yds. Mv was 3150fps. It went all the way through her diagonally & was under the hide on the opposite hind leg. You can see how the angular impact affected the expansion. 86% weight retension & 280% expansion. You can also see how the violent impact/expansion was trying to pull the  bonded core from the jacket by the concave base. 

139grInterbondBullet001-1.jpg

139grInterbondBullet002-1-1.jpg

139grInterbondBullet003-1.jpg

In this particular instance I don't think a BT would have worked out that well. Then again we're talking about 300fps more impact velocity than what is likely with a 7mm-08.

Cartridge was a hand loaded 280 Rem using Norma MRP powder.

Edited by wildcat junkie

The early Nosler Ballistic tips had a lighter jacket, and acted like varmint bullets at high velocities. Nosler addressed this issue quite promptly and started making the BTs with heavier jackets.

I killed a lot of game with 140 grain Nosler ballistic tips in my .280 rem and 7mm08 over the last 25 years or so, including some caribou bulls that probably went between 300 and 400 pounds live weight. I never had any problem, and I usually had an exit hole on deer sized game.